PDA

View Full Version : a "show" fish

dadonoflaw
11-01-2006, 07:16 AM
i am trying to think of the show fish i want for my tank. i was thinking of the following: blue throat trigger, sohal tang, harlequin tusk (do they just eat shrimp or what?) or can i get some other non tang and angel suggestions if anyone has them. guess that doesnt leave much

JustDavidP
11-01-2006, 09:42 AM
If I had the right tank, the right mind, and lots of free cash... I would have a goldflake angel (Apolemichthys xanthopunctatus) as my "centerpiece" or showfish. They are amazing!! They are sort of kind of rare in the hobby.

http://seadwelling.com/v-web/gallery/albums/MarineFish/Goldflake_Angel2.jpg

They grow to 8-9 Inches long and do best in a tank over 100 US Gallons. They need lots of places to hide or they will keep out of sight. The more "comfy" they feel, the more they stay out, in the viewing area of your display.

They are omnivores, eating marine algaes, prepared alga foods, (spirulina flake, nori sheets etc.) ,micro crustaceans (mysid, pods), and, since they are true angels, marine sponge. If you want to keep sponge, this is not the fish for you. If you want to keep the fish, you need to get a marine food with sponge in it, such as Ocean Nutrition's Angel Foods.

Just as with any "angel", short of the dwarves like flames, they can be agressive. Best to add this fish last to your system.

Dave

Amphibious
11-01-2006, 10:18 AM
Great choice David, one of my favorite, fairly reef safe Angels. They can be pricey. Expect to pay over a hundred for a small (2 to 3") or more. I have a friend, Sharon, that has one and it is striking in her tank. Here's a pic of her Gold Flake.

http://www.theculturedreef.com/GoldFlake-3.jpg

Hers is not aggressive and has left her corals, shrooms and zoas alone.

JustDavidP
11-01-2006, 10:25 AM
Awe....purdy... I just love the blue lip stick and dark mascara... reminds me of that country song that goes.. "I like my women just a little on the trashy side" ;)

D

CarmieJo
11-01-2006, 11:22 PM
dadonoflaw,

I really like the Blue Throat Trigger. In fact I really want one. I love the way they look and the way they move. Unfortunately, my tank is not suited to one. :(

wildeone
11-02-2006, 12:41 AM
Actually, I love this fish:

http://www.marinelifephotography.com/diving/japan/Chaetodon%20daedalma.jpg

Wrought Iron Butterfly. My LFS has one and has had it for several months. To big for my setup and WAY to big for my wallet. $999.00.

dadonoflaw
11-02-2006, 01:47 AM
carmiejo do u know how large they will get my tank is only a 125gal so i am concerned that the fish will not have sufficient room

Raggamuffin
11-02-2006, 02:49 PM
While not exactly A show fish, I like shoal fish instead :) 5 or 6 firefish or 6 to 8 various chromis. I LOVE watching shoals move as one critter.

dadonoflaw
11-03-2006, 04:09 AM
i guess the trigger wouldnt mix well with the pm shrimp i am getting for aiptasia control

dadonoflaw
11-03-2006, 04:10 AM
i guess the trigger wouldnt mix well with the pm shrimp i am getting for aiptasia control

CarmieJo
11-03-2006, 12:34 PM
The blue throat grows to about 9".

fat walrus
11-03-2006, 12:44 PM
One day after some more experience with damsels, I plan to leap foward and try a yellow tang.

CarmieJo
11-03-2006, 12:45 PM
Will the tang live with the dragons?

dreams
11-06-2006, 10:27 PM
what is exactly considered a "show fish"?....color, size, price?...what is the determining factor?

CarmieJo
11-06-2006, 10:38 PM
I don't have my show fish yet but I do like the fish I have. :) For me it is the wow/cool/ooh-ah factor. It is going to be a "jewel" that will draw your eye by shape/pattern/color/behavior.

dreams
11-06-2006, 10:51 PM
I don't have my show fish yet but I do like the fish I have. :)

that was what i wondering about....i love all of my fish for different reasons....to me they are all "show fish"

but i guess it would be my sailfin...he is the most personable, interactive, & active

Amphibious
11-06-2006, 11:30 PM
what is exactly considered a "show fish"?....color, size, price?...what is the determining factor?It's really about personal choice and perception. Colors and pattern, sure. Size, maybe but, remember your tank's limitations. Price, yes and no, depends on the fish. There are many "show" fish that are totally inappropriate for our tanks not even considering size limitations. As an example, an Emperator Angel would be a great show fish but not in a reef tank. It bowls down to what is available that is appropriate for MY tank and be showie, peaceful and take a prominent place in the hierarchy of the tank.

Your Sailfin is a good example of a "show" fish, Dreams.

Amphibious
11-06-2006, 11:32 PM
I don't have my show fish yet but I do like the fish I have. :) For me it is the wow/cool/ooh-ah factor. It is going to be a "jewel" that will draw your eye by shape/pattern/color/behavior.You've nailed it, Carmie!

dadonoflaw
11-06-2006, 11:48 PM
yes carmie that is what i meant. right now i guess it would be the yellow tang but i was looking for a fish ten inches or less when full grown that is active and preferrably personable.

dreams
11-07-2006, 12:14 AM
thanks for all the input, guys....i guess, i just feel like every critter in my tank is great and don't like to put them into catagorys

dadonoflaw
11-10-2006, 09:56 PM
i was looking at a red coris wrasse but i see that they eat so many sand dwelling animals. has anyone been successful kepping this wrasse in a reef environment?

Amphibious
11-10-2006, 11:02 PM
Coris Wrasses can be kept successfully but as you mentioned they'll clean out your DSB of the critters you need to keep the bed healthy. So, they are not recommended by me.

dadonoflaw
11-11-2006, 03:15 AM
i was looking at dwarf lionfish as a possible reef resident but all of the cool fish eat inverts

fat walrus
11-11-2006, 03:37 AM
i was looking at a red coris wrasse but i see that they eat so many sand dwelling animals. has anyone been successful kepping this wrasse in a reef environment?
Yes, they can be successfully kept in a reef environment. The question is whether your reef environment can be successfully kept with the wrasse.

RocketSeason
11-20-2006, 08:47 PM
I have a Potters angel. its not really rare, its not terribly expensive. But it is gorgeous and is a bit hard to keep so I find it special.

I also have a smaller tank, so for small tanks, its a good choice.

dadonoflaw
11-20-2006, 11:38 PM
cant get anymore angels since i have had a coral beauty in here for a month and a half. i am not sure it can stay since i want clams so...

Seahorsedreams
11-21-2006, 11:25 PM
jamal, did you say what size of a tank you have/are looking at. What tankmates do you have/are looking at.

When we get the tanks we have in place completed we are going to strat of a 240g. We already have it but it needs some work. I'm going to get an Imperator Angelfish (Pomacanthus imperator). *Drools at the thought*

dadonoflaw
11-22-2006, 12:39 AM
i have a 125 gal with 3 pm shrimp 1 coral banded shrimp a coral beauty angel yellow tang 2 yellowtail damsels a green brittle star 20 astrea snails and 11 nassarius snails