PDA

View Full Version : aiptasia

dadonoflaw
10-31-2006, 09:54 PM
what do i do about it and what is the problem. does it grow uncontrollably?

CarmieJo
11-01-2006, 12:03 AM
I've been fortunate to never have had it but I believe that it is VERY tenacious and spreads quickly.

fat walrus
11-01-2006, 12:32 AM
what do i do about it and what is the problem. does it grow uncontrollably?
Three words:

KILL IT NOW.

CarmieJo
11-01-2006, 12:43 AM
Three words:

KILL IT NOW.

One of my friends swears by Joes Juice.

dadonoflaw
11-01-2006, 04:15 AM
i was about to remove it and now i cant find it. i was gonna get some peppermint shrimp anyway so hopefully they will get it

sailfin
11-01-2006, 09:22 AM
Hi,

I had a problem with aptaisias and I bought an army of peppermint shrimps, 6 in total. Within a couple of weeks there were visibly fewer ugly brown flowers around. I use Joe Juice for the big ones and the shrimpies take care of the rest. I don't see the shrimps all that much but they are doing a good job at keeping the problem under control.

Ann

JustDavidP
11-01-2006, 09:33 AM
Aiptaisia is just a pain in the butt! It is very prolific and is capable of packing a powerful sting to corals, fish etc. It can, and does, spread uncontrollably in the right conditions. It can even create many new anemones if it is scrubbed, torn, etc. as the smallest if pieces can settle and form a new anemone. Much like Calfo's BTA splitting practices.

Natural controls include peppermint shrimp (make sure they are true pepps - Lusmata wurdemani ), the banded butterfly (Chelmon rostratus), the Copper Banded Butterfly (Chaetodon lunula) and the Black Lipped Butterfly (Chaetodon kleinii). The shrimp are your best bet, as the butterfly fish tend to have problems in captivity and can get rather large. There is also an aiptasia munching nudibranch (sea slug) (Berghia Verrucicornis) that would work, but they too have their "problems" in captivity; to include pump intakes, overflows etc.

Your best bet is to keep peppermint shrimp and for the larger aiptasia that the shrimp don't eat, use Joe's Juice or your own paste mixed of kalk and RO/DI water.

They THRIVE in nutrient rich tanks. Overfeeding your charges will most certainly aid in thier spreading. Keep that in mind if you tend to "broadcast" feed a lot of foodstuffs.

Dave

Amphibious
11-01-2006, 09:42 AM
One of my friends swears by Joes Juice.Maybe two of your friends swear by it, Carmie. :agree: I was so impressed with the results of it I added it to my web site. Check it out here - Joe's Juice (http://www.theculturedreef.com/joesjuice.htm). It works great and quickly.

The rest of the advice given by others is correct. Get rid of them as they appear and you should be able to keep them under control.

JustDavidP
11-01-2006, 09:45 AM
Unless you want a "species only" tank :) I had an aiptasia in a 2 1/2 gallon tank (QT tank) that was soooo much fun. It got HUGE... I hand fed it chunks of clam and such and watched it digest it. I kept him until I needed to QT another fish...at which point, he suffered the osmotic shock and turbulent ending of my toilet :)

Dave

JR Aquatics
11-01-2006, 10:02 PM
Joes juice is great and have used it in the past. But, I have found the best way to get rid of them and to keep them gone is the good old peppermint shrimp. I have two of them in my 90gal and I have no more aipstasia in my display but a few in the sump were the shrimp can't get to. I could never keep them in control with Joes juice, but it does work better than other brands ***** that I have tried.

Also my shrimp are a breeding pair, their spawn helps me feed my coral and fish once a month.

dadonoflaw
11-02-2006, 02:01 AM
thanx folks and with the 3.99 a piece price tag i think i got a couple of shrimp. you guys are great

Timanator
01-03-2007, 11:00 PM
I have a much simpler method

I note where it is connected to, pull the rock and let it sit for about a minute for most of the water to drip off, and then turn the rock over so the the Aptasia area faces down, and light my BIC directly on it for about 20 seconds.

Rob
01-04-2007, 12:04 AM
that is similar to my method..
it involves permanently entombing them with super glue gel.. :D

George
01-04-2007, 10:18 AM
Anyone know if the Aptasia remedies will work with Curly Cue Anemones as well? I picked up a hitcher somewhere.

Amphibious
01-04-2007, 10:43 AM
I have a much simpler method

I note where it is connected to, pull the rock and let it sit for about a minute for most of the water to drip off, and then turn the rock over so the the Aptasia area faces down, and light my BIC directly on it for about 20 seconds.Toasted!!!

That works fine when you can remove the rock. When you can't, Joe's Juice to the rescue. I sell a ton of it because it works without harm to other things like coral. I've inadvertantly got it on corals and had no problems.

Check it out - Joe's Juice (http://www.theculturedreef.com/joesjuice.htm)

Rob
01-04-2007, 12:46 PM
another thing i have use was a think Kalk paste. even works underwater, but a little harder to apply.. :)

PreauxPhoto
01-04-2007, 01:12 PM
WOW! Yall are pretty adamant about Joe’s juice! Never tried it I use peppermint shrimp also but I’ve had a couple that were too big for the shrimp to mess with. I’ve just taken boiling water out of the microwave and using a turkey baster shot them with hot water. If it doesn’t kill them outright it will hurt them enough for the shrimp to attack.

Amphibious
01-04-2007, 02:07 PM
WOW! Yall are pretty adamant about Joe’s juice!Well, they don't recoil away, you just feed it to them and they're done.

JustDavidP
01-05-2007, 03:38 PM
I got Joe's Juice because Pepps do NOT eat Mojano...

Now that I have it, rather than letting it all "crust up", I use it.

D

Seahorsedreams
01-05-2007, 03:47 PM
I'm a Joe's Juice user. I was able to zap one in my overflow one time and it looked like it had died...a month later it was BACK! I now make a point of feeding it to the appy, waiting a couple of hours and then I siphon out the dead carcass.

Pepps in the reef worked great.