PDA

View Full Version : Fluval is OUT!

JeffDubya
10-30-2006, 12:52 PM
Well, I finally did it. Before I started my aquarium in late May, I was told that having a Fluval canister filter would cause me problems... and even if I took out all the filter material and replaced it with live rock rubble that the unit would be a freaking nitrate factory.

Well, I believe that five months later, all of those warnings seem to have come true. With the exception of my nitrates, all of my water test readings are excellent. Nitrates are high.

So I have been thinking about this for a while. Today, I added a surface skimmer box for my aqua-c, I took the plunge and pulled the sucker out. I will only lose 180 GPH, and my Fluval hoses are FULL of disgusting biological matter. I’m guessing that is the source of my nitrate problems.

So now, my circulation consists of two Aqua Clear 50 powerheads (270 GPH ea) and one Aqua Clear 20 (126 GPH) for a total of 666 GPH (x 22.97). I gotta admit, having a flow that is equal to the number of the beast is a little freaky, but what can I do about it?

I also have the Maxi-Jet 1200 (295 GPH) that is part of my protien skimmer. It adds flow, so I guess my total is more than 666 after all.

Anyhow, the Fluval is out, gone, history. I hope that I made the right decision. I’m pretty certain I did, but change (even when you know it’s right) can be be a scary thing.

wwest
10-30-2006, 02:04 PM
You made a good dicision. :) I had a filter on my system for about two months before i realized that it was a nitrate factory. now i dont run any filtration other than sand and LR.

good luck getting your nitrates down :)

JustDavidP
10-30-2006, 04:14 PM
Anyone have a canister filter for sale? ;)

Good job..for a true REEF, you've made the right choice.

Dave

JeffDubya
10-30-2006, 05:56 PM
Well, david... that actually brings me to my next question.

So I have a relatively small tank, 29 gallons. For reasons to many to list here, that probably won't be changing anytime soon.

So, what I have been considering lately is putting together are a quarrantine tank, and also a prop tank (just small ones) to add to my enjoyment of the hobby. Especially interesting to me is the prop tank - I have a huge fascination about slicing and dicing and growing cool new stuff in the process. And since I don't have a fuge it seems to be the direction I should move in.

So how about that Fluval? Should I keep it and use it for a prop tank or quarrantine tank?? Or should I just get it to some freshwater fiend on eBay and be done with it?

rprisock
10-30-2006, 10:06 PM
I haven't decommissioned my Rena canister yet. No problems but that is only because I never let it go more than two weeks without cleaning it. Recently, I even cleaned it weekly. I have a fairly heavy bio-load and have recently added more base rock. As the base rock become "live" I will decommission the canister.

Bottomline, the reason, in my opinion, canisters are flamed for reefs is simply because they require cleaning often which most people simple will not do.

The surface skimmer you added will be a huge improvement in your tank. Good luck and keep us posted!

V
10-30-2006, 10:32 PM
they aren't recommended because we get complacent,and treat them the same way as for fish water!
i see no reason why i wouldn't use mind till they die as a pecautionary water polisher for times when "I" get complacent!
i believe the flow rates 2 quick for them to be tagged "nitrate factories" unless the user miss-manages the media!
thats just me though, other here definately stand fast against them!

Rob
10-30-2006, 11:37 PM
yes exactly, id say keep it. they are good for periodic water polishing or in the even you need something to run active carbon filtration.. thank fully i had my diatom XL filter when i did.. :)

they are good to keep around if you have it.. so its up to you, if you need the money, dump it.. if not, keep it and use it as needed, which shouldn't be very often

JustDavidP
10-31-2006, 10:48 AM
I have my Eheim ready to go whenever needed. In some cases, I get a lot of stained water from the macro algea. Canister filter for one day and done! I've also used it when fragging softies...that can be messy. It is a great vacuum to have around...so keep it and use it only when needed.

D

V
11-03-2006, 07:08 AM
Are they the big round suckers, looks big enough for pond use?
got the UV and and all the bells & whistles attached ?
I think i saw one the other day if thats what your refering to!

JayBeDriften
11-03-2006, 12:17 PM
I have the new Fluval FX5 Canister Filter and I clean it about once a month and it work well with no Nitrate problems at all. But to each his own. :-)

fat walrus
11-07-2006, 04:59 AM
Are they the big round suckers, looks big enough for pond use?
Yes, we call them pimps here in USA, but we are not quite sure that the mouth in the veriann version is big enough for pond use.

got the UV and and all the bells & whistles attached ?
That is the deluxe model with extra bitching.

I think i saw one the other day if thats what your refering to!
You saw and did nothing?