PDA

View Full Version : My Blue green Chromis are spawning

bob21115
10-24-2006, 09:13 PM
I was watching my 300 gallon tank and noticed the Blue Green Chromis were spawning.
Blue Green Chromis Spawning (http://www.wmiaquatics.com/images/rc/bgspawn.avi)

The video file is a avi file with the divx codec just over a minute long my battery died.

V
10-24-2006, 11:45 PM
sweet, i cant watch it at work cause of the filter settings, so i'll check it at home, my question is how successful were you at rearing them? was it unexpected or do you have the set-up for them?.

any blue or green chromies in numbers looks orsome around a reef

bob21115
10-25-2006, 12:00 AM
It was unexpected. I have a pair of clarki's that spawn every 2 weeks. The latest clutch of eggs hatched a today. I have the tanks for the clown fry but they need to be setup and I need to start rotifers and phyto.

I was just watching the tank and thought what are they doing and when I got closer I saw the eggs. I hope they make it till morning so I can take a picture of the whole egg mass its huge. Just my luck for the battery to go dead when I really need it. They continued to lay eggs until lights out about a hour.

Reefbaby
10-28-2006, 05:28 PM
that's pretty cool! I'd love to see some pics of your tank Shawn. It's rather hard to tell from the video where they're actually spawning. the vid was rather pixeled.

btw...is that some kind of wrasse in the left side of the movie?

bob21115
10-28-2006, 05:57 PM
that's pretty cool! I'd love to see some pics of your tank Shawn. It's rather hard to tell from the video where they're actually spawning. the vid was rather pixeled.

btw...is that some kind of wrasse in the left side of the movie?

If you save the video file to your computer it will look better.

The only wrasse I had in there was a six line and the time of the video. I now have a yellow corras. All but a few eggs were eaten by the snails in the tank.

If you look about a inch to the left of the video you should see a white vertical line thats the eggs.

The tank is the 300 and its 8 feet long very hard to take good pictures. I have a few post floating around here with older pictures. I'm getting better with the camera I'll try to post some updated ones.

m8298
10-28-2006, 06:47 PM
Hey...Do I know those Chromis?

V
10-28-2006, 06:51 PM
u two have ties outside of here?

m8298
10-28-2006, 07:31 PM
It all started here:

http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1216

I am now the owner of the original 240 gallon acrylic tank with the crack. Shawn is the owner of a 37 gallon, stand, canopy, sump, skimmer, heater, and about 3 or 4 Chromis.

And one of these days I'll get of my lazy butt, and replace the sides on the 240.

bob21115
10-28-2006, 11:40 PM
Hey...Do I know those Chromis?

Yes you do. The 2 big guys are yours. Not sure if the female is or not did you give me 3 or 4, I added to the bunch.

bob21115
10-28-2006, 11:43 PM
It all started here:

Boy those were the days when I only had one tank.

V
10-29-2006, 06:51 AM
aaarrr yes, the good-oh days where i didn;t even make an appearance!

chrominids are great fish, simple and eligant, i do like the mix between green & blue chromies in mini shoal

m8298
10-29-2006, 08:30 AM
Boy those were the days when I only had one tank.
I know what you mean. How do you find the time to change all that water?

Even if I had the time, right now I couldn't afford it. I recently found out that my plant is closing at the end of the year. And so, the aggresive job hunt begins.

bob21115
10-29-2006, 10:01 AM
They are all one system so I only chage water from one location and I spill enough water on the floor each week I end-up changing about 5% a week.

Everything dumps into the 150 rubbermaid tub. My pump off water volumn is still to great for the 150 sump so I loose a bit on the basement floor when the pumps shut off(unless I close ball valves).

I was having problems with my dehumidifier tripping a surge protector, which would shut my return pump off. Also the Aqua-C Skimmer like to over flow when it gets to much pressure.

I love having the sysem plumbed together. I think the advatages are greater than the disadvantages.

Advantages
Testing , water changes, heating/cooling, skimming, Ca reactor, carbon, and PhosBan are all done from one location. I still feed and and Phyto to each tank.

Disadvantages
Ask Rob. Something bad happens in one tank it happens in all unless your home and stop it from spreading.