PDA

View Full Version : distaster strikes all... even me

Rob
10-23-2006, 05:45 PM
well incase any of you have been wondering where i have been, i have been dealing with a major disaster.
essentially multiple fish deaths, and RTN of almost every coral i have.

all is not totally dead, but my system has been seriously injured.

i will be podcasting the details of this as am just not in the mood to type them all out. in fact, im not in the mood for much at all, this has me so unbelievably upset. the fact that i am sitting here helplessly as all my fish and coral die off, wanting to do something to help them, but knowing the more i try to fix, the more im going to increase the risk of total loss.

anyways, im not looking for sympathy, because at the end of the day, the whole damn thing was my fault. just me not fully thinking the situation through and well this is what happens

anyways, for those that are interested in the details stay tuned and subscribed to the podcast feed as it will get published there. hopefully helping prevent others from making the same mistakes as me.

i will likely be absent from the forums until then

thanks for listening

attached are some images of my unfortunate situation..

fat walrus
10-23-2006, 06:30 PM
Sorry to hear about your disaster. :shout: When it rains, it pours. raining

I wish you a quick rebound. :)

BrianPlankis
10-23-2006, 06:30 PM
Rob,

So sorry to hear about the trouble, I'll wait for the podcast for details, but I can work on sending you some frags once your tank is stable again!

Brian

pham411
10-23-2006, 06:44 PM
holy crap!!!

pham411
10-23-2006, 06:45 PM
what is the cause? black out???

Stevej72
10-23-2006, 07:01 PM
:grrr!: Sorry Rob

johnnyblackheart
10-23-2006, 07:55 PM
:o That SUCKS!!!! sorry to hear about your tank.......

John

Bernie
10-23-2006, 08:04 PM
sorry to hear about it Rob...

Small Fry
10-23-2006, 08:54 PM
sorry to hear about that buddy.
Hope you can keep something alive

CarmieJo
10-23-2006, 09:01 PM
Gee Rob. I am so sorry to hear that you have had a disaster. The only frags I can offer are zoos :) so I guess I will just send you a hug instead.

rogersoh
10-23-2006, 10:03 PM
Bob, sorry to hear about your disaster.

V
10-23-2006, 11:25 PM
OMG somebody killed kenny, you b@$t@rds.

i havn't seen that much white since i dropped my pants and flashed a cheek or 2 in the mirror whilst watching casper the kenny killing ghost.

rob, i feel for ya, i really do! i know the suggestions beside the point, but if a total lose occures im sure we can shake the tree's for donation frags from those of us with with means to do so!
besides, how many times have i mentioned that only my corals love scotch!

make sure you select the proper of fitting sound trax when you launch sadpod ok!

gwen_o_lyn
10-23-2006, 11:31 PM
So sorry Rob!

Chris just had a kalk meltdown in his tank... It's hitting the best people right now.
http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1437

You know I'd mail you frags. Let me know when. It can be your xmas present.

I'm here for ya if you ever need to talk- just call me.

wildeone
10-23-2006, 11:33 PM
EEEK! That sux Rob. I am sorry to hear about the loss and I await the reason for such a bad situation.

I hope this is just a ratings thing to beef up interest in the show. If not, sorry about the bad luck...

wildeone
10-24-2006, 12:01 AM
Rob, I logged off and went to bed after the last post. I was thinking of your situation and it made me recall a situation that my greatest hero Thomas Edison once had.

"In December 1914 a great sweeping fire destroyed [Edison's] research laboratory in West Orange, New Jersey wiping out $2 million worth of equipment and the record of much of his life's work. Edison's son, Charles, frantically looked for his father and finally saw him standing near the fire, his face ruddy in the glow and his white hair being blown by the winter winds. He said, "My heart ached for him." He was no longer young and everything was being destroyed. Edison spotted Charles and shouted, "Where's your mother? Find her. Bring her here. She'll never see anything like this again as long as she lives." Next morning walking among the charred embers he said, "There is great value in disaster. All our mistakes are burned up! Thank God, we can start anew."

From: http://www.appa.org/FacilitiesManager/article.cfm?ItemNumber=481&parentid=250

fat walrus
10-24-2006, 12:13 AM
Rob, I logged off and went to bed after the last post. I was thinking of your situation and it made me recall a situation that my greatest hero Fat Walrus once had.

"In December 1914 a great sweeping fire destroyed [Fat Walrus's] research laboratory and fish farm in West Orange, New Jersey wiping out $2 million worth fresh frozen fish. Fat Walrus's son, Veriann, frantically looked for his father and finally saw him standing near the fire, his face ruddy in the glow and his white hair being blown by the winter winds. He said, "My heart ached for him." He was no longer young and everything was being destroyed. Fat Walrus spotted Charles and shouted, "Where's your mother? Find her. Bring her here. She'll never see anything like this again as long as she lives." Next morning walking among the charred embers he said, "There is great value in disaster. All our mistakes are burned up! Thank God, we can start anew."

From: http://www.appa.org/FacilitiesManager/article.cfm?ItemNumber=481&parentid=250

V
10-24-2006, 03:00 AM
cheeky bugger!:unsure::D

sailfin
10-24-2006, 08:16 AM
Rob,

That's horrible. My heart sunk when I saw the pictures. I am so sorry. Do let us know if there is something we can do. :(

Ann

JustDavidP
10-24-2006, 08:31 AM
Ouch...Dude... you know you can count on me for whatever you need.

D

kj_yoda
10-24-2006, 09:38 AM
Sorry to hear about your problems. wish we could help.

JR Aquatics
10-24-2006, 10:34 AM
Holy Sh*?!!! I'm sorry Rob. When your tank gets back to normal, let me know I will be more than willing to send you some frags. Just keep your head up. I know situations like this makes you consider quitting this hobby, it happens to the best of us.

CarmieJo
10-24-2006, 09:40 PM
Duane, what a great quote!

Stevej72
10-24-2006, 09:53 PM
Duane, what a great quote!

Dido.

Rob
10-24-2006, 10:32 PM
thank you all for the kind words. i just finished recording the show i in which i talk about it. so many things i wanted to say, but not appropriate for the podcast.

again, thanks you.. if it wasn't for this community i have here, i would seriously be considering just packing it all up, and selling off whats left. i mean i have years of time, countless hours spent working on my system. all my colonies which i had grown from small little frags to large colonies, now almost totally dead.

I cant even find the words to express whats happening, i almost break down every time i look into my tank, seeing all those white skeletons.. i just dont want to look at it... i was really hopeful that the damage would not take everything, but the more time goes on, the worse each colony gets.

years worth of time, all gone in days... man..

ok, enough of that.. what kind of leader would i be if i let this get to me..
let me start of by saying the tank will stay up, and i will make sure that before i start rebuilding, those damn flatworms will be gone...
and just incase you were wondering, they are still in there.. those little... *******

anyways, i will get things back together, and i will get the tank better than ever.. it just may take a few years.. again...

i will try and keep everyone updated on how things are going..

maybe its will be a new segment on the podcast...lol

thanks again everyone

Sloppygolf
10-24-2006, 10:36 PM
But you are baiting me bad.....I'm dying to know details....

Rob
10-24-2006, 10:39 PM
i think im going to make an exception to the rule, and release the show early this week

just be patient, i have a few things to finish up and it will be out.. ;)

wwest
10-24-2006, 10:43 PM
Let me know when you are ready to add corals. I have a frag of green monti, acropora, and bird nest if you want them. :)

Amphibious
10-24-2006, 10:48 PM
Oh, man Rob, I'm so sorry to hear about this disaster. I've been mostly off the site for a day or two and missed this thread until now.

Dick

Rob
10-24-2006, 11:01 PM
the show has been posted early this week, check it out for details...
the feed has been updated as well

V
10-24-2006, 11:35 PM
bush boys dont cry, so turn away everyone!
thats last one made me clam up abit! curse you aqua scum!

Boz
10-24-2006, 11:54 PM
Rob,

sorry to hear about the losses. I am listening to the podcast now. Just remember that hobbies are for a lifetime and will bring great joy over and over again for years to come. Best wishes on planning your new journey.

rmulet
10-25-2006, 12:00 AM
My heart dropped when I heard the news. Sorry Rob.
There is a really cool podcast that helped keep me going when I had my tank crash. ;). Don't give up!

Nyles
10-25-2006, 01:32 AM
Heartbreaking news, word can't express the feelings Im sure, I can hear it in your voice, sorry to hear about all your losses.... I feel almost guilty posting due to Im sure you feel terrible. Hope it gets better and you can find a place in your heart to keep moving, everyone here appreciates what you do for the hobby.

I really hope this hobby brings a smile to your face again sometime soon.

JustDavidP
10-25-2006, 07:58 AM
Rob,

After so many mishaps with my system, I tore it down and went FO (the ponies). Now, I'm setting up two additional tanks... you just cant get it out of the blood bro... you'll be up and running in no time.

D

doctorthompson
10-25-2006, 11:55 AM
Quite the ugly and terrible tragedy, Rob. The podcast gave me nightmares.

In any case, don't forget the most priceless backup system you have: a community of over 1000 members who are grateful for all the work you've done making TR. Let us know what we can do to help.

thesaent14
10-25-2006, 08:52 PM
i have no words for this is not fare

Small Fry
10-25-2006, 11:44 PM
hope you can stay confident and keep with it rob, im sure becuase of your TR following you will be getting donations of frags in no time
Sucks no matter how you look at it,
my condolences.

BRISK495
10-25-2006, 11:52 PM
sorry to hear about this Rob...you will have a great tank again soon!

murraycamp
10-26-2006, 01:23 AM
Oh my. Rob, man, I am so sorry. I can tell after listening to the podcast that it breaks your heart. Just remember that a lot of people are pulling for you chief. The fact that you were willing to actually sit down and crank out a podcast under these circumstances - so that maybe some good can come from this charlie foxtrot -speaks volumes as to your character.

After thinking about it, what could you have done if you had stayed in town? Would have additional siphoning of the dead flatworms prevented the buildup of the released toxins? It just seemed so damn sudden. It's hard to believe. I know you don't attribute the initial problem to the flatworm treatment itself, but it has given me enough of a shock to not use it if I am ever dealing with a flatworm infestation.

To my fellow Talkin' Reefers, could we do anything to help Rob for a couple of podcasts to lighten his load? I have never done a podcast, but maybe supply some ideas for material? Just thinking out loud.

Murray

drummereef
10-26-2006, 02:15 AM
Sorry to you for all your loss. Just caught the podcast and don't really know what to say. Try to keep your chin up, we've all made mistakes...

JeffDubya
10-26-2006, 02:24 AM
Ugrh. Sorry, Rob.

Hope others can learn from your misfortune, including me.

Danamck
10-26-2006, 03:54 AM
Rob -

I am so sorry to hear about your tank and its inhabitants. I am so glad to hear that you have not given up. The internet would be a sadder place withot Talking Reef.

JeffDubya
10-26-2006, 03:59 AM
Never give up... never surrender!

NaClFinatic
10-26-2006, 09:44 AM
I listened to the podcast on the way to work thos morning. I feel for you and as if I have suffered a loss too, but you learn from the good and the bad and end up better than before. Don't let it get you down.

Rob
10-26-2006, 03:18 PM
GOOD NEWS!!
i wanted to share with everyone i was very excited..
last night i got positive confirmation that both my mandarins are alive and well, saw them both at the same time. for a while i was only seeing one, and thought, that looks like the female, was it really the male i saw earlier, etc.. well last night i saw both. now i just have to make sure i can keep food in there for them in case the pod population was impacted. good thing im culturing pods.

second part, found my emerald crab, so its still alive and seems to be doing well.

on sadder news, most acros are continuing to decline, or at least whats left of them.. just waiting to see where the decline stops so i can find out what i have to nurse back to health

JustDavidP
10-26-2006, 03:20 PM
Some good news is always better than no good news...

Again, let us know what we can do for you bro..

D

Reefbaby
10-26-2006, 03:28 PM
Rob, my friend, I just finished listening to your podcast. What can one say to make the load lighter? I'm terribly sorry. How people get up and start again is beyond me, but if anyone can do it, you can! Thanks for sharing your tragedy with us, so that hopefully someone else can avoid this pain.

I have to say...if anything good has come of it...I've noticed about 4 new people here just on this thread!! So, it must have helped to pull some people out of the rockwork!

If you need ANYthing, please don't hesitate to ask! Chin up!

JustDavidP
10-26-2006, 03:38 PM
Missed you sweetie! Welcome home!

Astrivian
10-26-2006, 03:49 PM
To my fellow Talkin' Reefers, could we do anything to help Rob for a couple of podcasts to lighten his load? I have never done a podcast, but maybe supply some ideas for material? Just thinking out loud.
Murray

Right on Murray. I agree.

Rob: I have the keynote presentation i gave at NASAGA, which i can export to quicktime (mpeg4) with recorded audio. If you want i can change it a bit to make it more relavent to the hobby, but I go into more specifics about how to use aquariums as educational tools. The points i give might be more usefull for educators and the hobbists who said they are working with their schools (many have). I will get it ready and send it over, you can use it if you need to.

Another idea: some of us could do a round table like the one you did with west and gwen a while back. I did get skype so i can contribute my inexperienced opinion if anyone is interested.

Also, what fish did you have before? You said that a clown and the mandrins survived. What had you before?

My condolences on this man. As a newcommer, i can only imagine what this must be like but we are all with you. If you need anything let us know.

JustDavidP
10-26-2006, 03:53 PM
You folks rock...

I hope (for selfish reasons) that Rob takes you up on your offer Astrivian. I'd be interested in hearing your presentation.

Rob does keep tricks up his sleeves though.. he has some podcasts that are ready to roll in case of emergency. We shall see what he does.

Dave

JustDavidP
10-26-2006, 03:53 PM
Also... the podcast experience just may keep his mind (and heavy heart) occupied ;)

D

Reefbaby
10-26-2006, 04:12 PM
Missed you sweetie! Welcome home!

:love: aww...thanks! Yes....we had visitors for the past week and I had NO free-time! But, I'm back again! :agree:
I'm just very :cry: for Rob!

Danamck
10-26-2006, 05:54 PM
Rob -

Listened to the podcast last night right before going to bed. I had nightmares all night long. Know that we are all here for you.

Regarding the podcasts - I offer another suggestion. Just keep doing shows like the one you did. Just keep us up to date on how the tank is doing, and the steps you are taking to nurse it back to health. You wouldn't need a script, you could just speak from the heart like you did on this podcast. Just a thought.

Rob
10-26-2006, 07:10 PM
i have actually been thinking about releasing small shows as needed to update on my recovery progress.
still have some mental details to work out, i might do this, or just add an update segment to the regular shows

JustDavidP
10-27-2006, 07:46 AM
Considering it may take some time to get your system up and going 100%, I would suggest you save a section of the podcast for updates, but plow on with all the incredibly wonderful information you've got us accustomed to receiving via the program.

Dave

V
10-27-2006, 08:29 AM
ive seen some trippy things in my life, people actually listening to an american for one :p but more to the point ive seen the innermost dwelling & support from the TR crew. which makes me proud to be a TReefite!

Pinecone_Jeff
10-27-2006, 09:56 AM
ive seen some trippy things in my life, people actually listening to an american for one :p but more to the point ive seen the innermost dwelling & support from the TR crew. which makes me proud to be a TReefite!2 years ago, when I lost my tank, I know I would have gotten it back up and running if I had the support of this group!

cabbagehead
10-27-2006, 10:33 AM
Rob, there are probably no words that could possibly describe how you must feel.
The fact that you are willing to share this and make it an educational experience for us speaks volumes about your character. The team spirit of members of this website makes me feel proud to call myself a talking reefer. I look forward to seeing a thread titled " Rob's 100g start up thread" This time we will get to see it from the beginning. You continue to sacrifice your personal time to provide us ,the talking reef community, valuable information and a platform to discuss this information. Please know that we do not take you for granted.
Jack

Small Fry
10-27-2006, 05:13 PM
I cant help but feel helpless ina situation like this, you have helped me and so many others through your podcasts and i cant help but feel powerless to help out.

Like someone said, the internet would be nothing without you and talkingreef. Stay confident, keep us updated, and stick with it.

dadonoflaw
10-28-2006, 04:05 AM
i havent been on here long but i appreciate what you are doing here and i am sorry to hear about your losses. its almost like loosing a child because of the bond you have with your tank but with all the support you have you will be back up in no time

CarmieJo
10-28-2006, 09:33 AM
Whether it is now or later I would also like to Sam's presentation.

I'd be happy to help anyway I can, with a roundtable or whatever.

Daisy
10-31-2006, 05:05 PM
Rob,

So sorry to hear of your loss. I hope you get things back in order soon. I know this was just gut wrenching for you.

I must tell you though about what your Podcast about this did for me. I was listening to it last night (Monday, October 30) at about 3:00 a.m. through my TIVO. I had no idea what your disaster had been, curiosity got to me and forced me to listen then. Boy, was I glad I did because I was having electrical work done in my home today for my new 150 gallon aquarium. I am having two dedicated circuits put in for it to run off of, but I had forgotten to tell the electrician that I needed GFI plugs. So after listening to you tell about your problem and how the GFIs had come to your rescue I got immediately up at 3:30 am and left my husband a note that we MUST get in touch with the electrician before he came today and make sure he would put in GFIs.

Apparently not one of us had thought of it even though we knew better. If I had not listened when I did and you had not been so passionate about using them I probably would have had the work done without them and had to spend more to get them changed.

Just thought the timing was so ironic and appreciate your message that jogged my memory in time.

The work is done now and I am supposed to get the new aquarium this weekend, I can't wait. Again, I am so sorry to hear you had the losses but it sounds like you may have been able to salvage more than you originally thought so that is good.

I guess if there is a bright side to this maybe you will be able to make changes you wanted to make or re-arrange things a little. I know that isn't much consolation but try to make something good come from it.

Daisy

Reefbaby
11-01-2006, 04:46 AM
Daisy - Welcome to TR! Glad that Rob's disaster was able to pull in some people out of the woodwork!

(hope we see pics of your new tank soon as well!) :D

V
11-01-2006, 06:28 AM
yep, welcome daisy!

TR is like a tube of pringles, once u pop, u cant stop!

JustDavidP
11-01-2006, 09:24 AM
Good story.. See Roberto mi amigo... SOME GOOD could come of this.

Dave

Danamck
11-01-2006, 11:12 AM
Welcome to TR, Daisy. And a great story. Keep us up-to-date on the new tank!

Amphibious
11-02-2006, 07:49 AM
Daisy,

http://www.theculturedreef.com/welcome.gif to Talking Reef Community and Podcast.

We're happy you found us and hope you enjoy the TR family.

Be sure and post some pics of your tank in the members tank thread.

Dick

Victoria
11-02-2006, 01:32 PM
Rob
Sorry to hear about your tank. My heart just sank! I know we all put so much into our hobbies. Its always my fear that something will happen. It's as if we make something out of very little. We watch it grow, we watch it change, and then in a shot bit of time its gone. It Let's us know how little control we really have. If it was an easy thing to do everyone would do it. But it is a very hard thing to do for any length of time. That's why we do it! It a chalenge it takes skill, and luck. That's why we don't stop doing it! It's just a set back, and another chance to learn even more about our hobbie and ourselves for that matter.
It would be a great time to get rid of those nasty flat worms. I'm sure your will be better for this. I have confidence in you, that you will teach us all something from this. In a year from now your tank will be even better then it was. I can't wait to see the beauty from these ashes.

Scott
11-02-2006, 11:32 PM
Rob, sorry to hear about your tank. My mind raced back to hearing about Eric Borneman's tank.

so sorry to hear about it, but glad to hear there are some survivors.

DJGonzo69
11-03-2006, 12:52 PM
Rob,
I just heard about your loss. Man I'm sorry to hear about it. Let me know if I can help in any way. You have helped me back in the days, so don't hesitate to contact me.

-John

RocketSeason
11-05-2006, 01:26 PM
Hey Rob, sorry for your loss.

I listened to your podcast and I am a bit confused. what set it all off? was it because you hooked the frag tank and the fuge up to the display with the medicine still in the system, thus killing off all the flatworms in those two tanks and all the toxins then got released into the system?

My tank went to heck a while back too. Its taking some time, but it looks better than ever!

There is a light at the end of the tunnel.

-Matt

Rob
11-05-2006, 10:56 PM
yes matt, thats what happened, apparently still too much medicine in the tank when it was hooked back to the other one

George
11-07-2006, 04:20 PM
Rob,

I haven't listened to the podcast as yet since I haven't synced my iPod in over a week, but did you ever try jacking up your salinity to 1.026-28 range? I used to have an infestation in my 75 (old tank) that was downright embarassing (as in "Hey, what's the green carpet stuff?") but I put my salinity up to 1.027-8 and they began to disappear. Took over 3 months, but they finally died off and I've been flatworm free for about 2 years.

Mine were the green with red tip worms. Tried every predator anyone suggested (except nudi's which I couldn't find), but never did medicine.

Rob
11-07-2006, 06:54 PM
thanks george, i had not heard of that method before.. but good one to remember for the future.
i normally keep my tank right at 1.026, and i know i have been to 1.027, so im not sure if it would have had the same affect, but might have been worth a try...

Rob
11-07-2006, 06:55 PM
oh, and BTW, if i have said it yet, :welcome:
i have see a few posts from you all great one, and just wanted to make sure i properly welcomed you.. :D

Reefbaby
11-08-2006, 01:29 AM
Welcome to TR George! Glad to have you here!

Capote
11-08-2006, 06:29 PM
Rob,
Listened to the podcast about the disaster today. Broke my heart. Lost a tank myself due to a kalkwassermixer going wild. Reason: Big mistake made by ME!

thesaent14
11-09-2006, 12:55 AM
hey capot somting similar happent to me my alkalinyti just got to the roof i have a Q?? for you you still use kalwaser and how you addit if you do thanks

manny

Capote
11-09-2006, 06:34 AM
My ph went to the sky and killed almost everything, except Euphyllia and some blastomussa who survived for some reason.

Yes I still do use kalkwasser from a mixer.:eek:

Today I am dosing it with a dosing pump on a electronic timer. The timer is connected to my IKS computer which monitors ph and disconnect the timer from the mains on a certain ph-level. I also always disconnect the dosing pump when leaving the house for a couple of days.

kalmarrin
11-13-2006, 08:24 PM
Rob, I'm just now new to this site and the forum, and read of your unfortunate trouble. I don't have much in the way of corals, but I do have 5 very pretty and very large (fully opened about 8" across) and healthy rose anemones that are real (not dyed), and I would be happy to somehow get one of them to you when you get up and running. I don't know where you live, and I've never shipped anything, but I could figure out how, I'm sure. It's yours if you are interested. If I had anything else except a few tiny frags, I'd give you them, too. Good luck, and let me know if you might be interested. Oh, I will have to figure out how to detach them from the live rock - but, I'm sure there's a way.

Rob
11-13-2006, 08:40 PM
thank you for the offer and your support.
i do have a very large Rose BTA that did make it threw everything, and is doing quite well.. :)

Danamck
11-14-2006, 11:25 AM
Welcome kalmarrin. What a very generous offer. Only at Talking Reef would you see such a generous outpouring of support. I'm proud and honored to be a part of it.

Amphibious
11-14-2006, 01:28 PM
Kalmarrin,

http://www.theculturedreef.com/welcome.gif to Talking Reef Community.

You're generous offer exemplifies the general attitude here on TR. This is the greatest reef forum on the net thanks to Rob, our leader!!!

Dick

kalmarrin
11-14-2006, 04:12 PM
Thank you, Dick. I appreciate that and hope that some day I can actually contribute something important instead of just ask questions (lol).

Pam

JustDavidP
11-14-2006, 04:19 PM
Pam...

One day, back when, I walked into a forum called "Reef Freaks" and asked questions until I was suffering from carpal tunnel syndrome. I KNOW I must have annoyed some "seasoned" folks who were sick of answering the same questions, yet ALL of the people there answered.

I am nothing more than a sponge (or box of wires as they say in the new TV series 3lbs) and at some point, the sponge became saturated. So much so that stuff started to runneth over. It was at that point when I found that I was answering some of the "newbie questions" that the fresh faces began to ask. Not only did it strengthen my knowledge (ask any educator and they will say that by mentoring, you actually strenthen your knowledge over the subject matter), but I found I was giving my mentors a well deserved break.

Yes, ask away...there are no dumb questions except for the ones not asked. Learn, abosorb and then...let your cup runneth over ;) At that time, I'll be heading for Florida to farm with Dick and the other seasoned vets...and the playing field is yours kiddo :)

Welcome...and enjoy!

Dave

kalmarrin
11-14-2006, 07:18 PM
Thank you, Dave, for the welcome. I, too, am a sponge...the problem is that with age I think I have a few more holes than a normal sponge...so, I don't quite soak things up the way I used to (lol).

I look forward to the day when I can help someone else. I have been through some really ridiculous waves of bad advice that I can laugh at now. I've tried to think of some qualifying questions to ask in case I meet another aquarist so that I can filter better, but haven't come up with anything.

Anyway - thanks again for the welcome. Pam

Raggamuffin
11-14-2006, 07:31 PM
:welcome: Pam!

Here is my very first question out of the box when I enter a new store or meet a person and start talking shop as it were.

I have a (insert coral/fish/anemone/whatever) that I got not to long ago, what would you recommend for watts per gallon?

^ sneaky trick question but it works.

Amphibious
11-14-2006, 08:21 PM
A wise old sage once said, "We teach what we most need to learn".

Not sure where it came from but I believe it.

Rob
11-14-2006, 08:37 PM
A wise old sage once said, "We teach what we most need to learn".

Not sure where it came from but I believe it.

quess that means i need to learn everything...
and i would agree with that.. :)

if you ever want to truly learn something, teach it to someone.. :)

JR Aquatics
11-15-2006, 12:49 AM
Welcome Pam. Soak A w a y

kalmarrin
11-15-2006, 08:14 AM
Thanks to all of you who have welcomed me to this board already. You guys/gals are funny - I like that! And, you're right about the teaching/learning thing. The more I have talked to people about their dogs and cats over the last 18 years, the more I have learned. It's the chemistry stuff that gets me with the fish world - math was the subject I absolutely couldn't identify with....so, when I see numbers, and ratios and stuff like that, my brain takes a hike. It's sad. And, the older I get - (I'm 54) the further away it wants to hike, so to speak. I wonder if there is a 'Fish Whisperer'?

You guys are great. I plan to spend a good bit of time just reading through your forums and old posts...that's a great way to learn. I appreciate your humor and your welcoming posts. Pam

Oh - where do I find out how to use the little icons, or add a picture under my name or something. My replies look naked compared to yours. lol

JustDavidP
11-15-2006, 09:29 AM
..It's the chemistry stuff that gets me with the fish world - math was the subject I absolutely couldn't identify with...

Failed Chemistry in school.. stopped at Biology III or something.. It just never made sense to me. However, now that it is "folded into" one of my passions (marine aquaria) and I have great people like Randy Holmes-Farley, who can put things in "lay terms" I really do undersand (for the most part). If you truly have a passion..or even an interest, it makes the learning that much easier..

That's why I get all excited seeing interactive classroom environments. Our experiences here have shown that bringing the "ocean in" can make a huge impact on students and their desire and ability to learn.

Oh - where do I find out how to use the little icons, or add a picture under my name or something. My replies look naked compared to yours. lol

Eeeek...we can't have naked reefers in here. :) What kind o' icon would you like? Got a favorite fish? Coral? Something? I can make one for ya.

Dave

CarmieJo
11-17-2006, 08:26 PM
To put a picture under your name go to the User CP, click on Edit Signature in the lefthand nav panel then scroll down past the signature box to where it says Signature Picture and add your picture.

kalmarrin
11-18-2006, 01:07 PM
Hi. I don't actually have any pictures of any of my guys...but, if I had to have one, I'd love to have a picture of a blue tang, or a square pink antheas or something. Or, even a couple of sebay clowns cuddling in an anemone. If you can do that, it would be great... As for the little smiley guys - whenever I try to use one of the ones on the right, it just puts the word in the sentence, and not the smiley guy. I kind of like the one with the giant eyes, as that's how I feel most times when it comes to the balancing of my tank.

I have figured out that there isn't much room for a refugium anywhere - unless I can get a square one and put it at the end of my sump. I'm still looking.

I'm gonna use my real test kit today (a master kit) and test all my stuff - then I'll come back and tell you guys what's what.

I want to know where to find the layman's explanation for stuff. With other thing, when you 'troubleshoot', it tells you that if you are getting this, you just do this. I need a test kit that says - OK, you calcium is this...add 3 capfuls of this twice a week. That's how simple I'd like it to be. (smile).

I'll be back with some figures.

Pam

CindyLuWho
11-18-2006, 04:41 PM
Rob, just checking to see how things are going with the tank? And wishing you the best.

Cindy

Reefbaby
11-19-2006, 08:54 AM
Welcome CindyLuWho to Talking Reef!

Pam - the smilies will appear once you've hit "post reply"....the text is just the code. Try it out. If you click on a smiley and then have posted then you'll see the smiley in your post!

By the way, we have a little archive of great reef reads, which are often very helpful for a lot of the info. In the top left menu of all pages, there's a link called "TR Web Links"....go there and you'll find some good links.

here it is as well! (http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/local_links.php)

CarmieJo
11-22-2006, 10:56 PM
CindyLuWho,

:welcome: to TR

Amphibious
11-22-2006, 11:15 PM
CindyLuWho,

Cindy, Thanks for stopping by. We hope you like our family of reefers. Great group of people.

Dick

Gralli
11-25-2006, 10:32 PM
i´m sorry for your loss Rob I´m new to to this and i want to say that this site of yours has bin an insparation to me. And by far the best comunty i´ve seen so far

please exequse my englis .I´m a little bitt dyslexic

Rob
11-25-2006, 11:00 PM
thanks for the great comments, and welcome to our home.. im glad you like the community, they really are great.

Amphibious
11-25-2006, 11:52 PM
Gralli,

No need to apologize for your English. We accept all who venture into TR. That's one of the things that makes this a great family of reefers. Glad to have you here.

Dick

fat walrus
11-26-2006, 06:12 AM
CindyLuWho,

Cindy, Thanks for stopping by. We hope you like our family of reefers. Great group of people.

Dick

Gralli,

No need to apologize for your English. We accept all who venture into TR. That's one of the things that makes this a great family of reefers. Glad to have you here.

Dick
Welcome. Lead me to your taker. :unsure:

CindyLuWho
11-26-2006, 11:54 AM
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! Cindy

Reefbaby
11-27-2006, 08:56 AM
Welcome to TR Gralli! Great to have you here!

CarmieJo
11-28-2006, 01:17 AM
Hi Gralli,

:welcome: to TR. We're glad you are here.

iglowce
01-04-2007, 11:56 PM
OMG im so sorry rob..

lReef lKeeper
01-05-2007, 12:03 AM
sorry to just be hearing about this Rob !! any updates for us ??

Rob,

I can work on sending you some frags once your tank is stable again!

Brian

same here, i have some nice acros that will be in need of a good home in the coming months. i would be glad to send you a few. just let me know when you are ready.

Rob
01-05-2007, 01:55 AM
thanks guys, the tank is doing great.
i got some frags donated from a LFS at a frag swap i went to.
i do plan on posting some updates, but just need to find the time...lol