PDA

View Full Version : Lighting Input Requested - Clam Tank

JustDavidP
10-23-2006, 02:17 PM
Okay...

So my buddy Gustavo (Neo) has built me a new tank. It is short. Dimensions are 20L X 18W X 14H. My plans are to make it a dedicated clam tank with MAYBE a single wrasse or something to help me keep worms/snails in check.

I have a 250W PFO SE ballast.

Now for the real questions. Do you think 250W is WAY too much light over this clam tank? If not, what would you recommend? 10K, 15, 20?

Dave

JustDavidP
10-23-2006, 02:23 PM
Okay... quick search found one good (and consistent) bit of information. Clams are best kept under 10K lighting.

Anyone have any differing opinions?

D

m8298
10-23-2006, 04:24 PM
I thought Wrasses and clams don't mix?

Rob
10-23-2006, 06:52 PM
only 14" height? that might be a tad short for a 250w bulb unless you keep it up a bit.
150W might be all you need.

thank said, i have found that my 10,000K 250W XM bulbs do very well for my clams

JustDavidP
10-24-2006, 10:00 AM
I think I'll use a pendant system. This way I can raise or lower it as needed. It will be in the cool basement too, so heat should not be an issue.

John, I've always had wrasses in my systems. I've always had clams. I've never had a wrasse bother a clam. I DID have a cleaner shrimp harass my clam (until I skewered it) ;) My 75G housed many clams and a 6-line wrasse to boot.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d176/JustDavidP/right.jpg

Most say that some wrasse will help avoid problems with pyramidellid snails. Now, with that said, the family of "wrasse" is quite diverse. You would NOT want to use agressive wrasse that have been known to prey upon clams and snails and such. Some of those fish would be "Twin Spots", "Bird Wrasse" or "Cleaner wrasse".

However, it is common practice to use others such as the Green wrasse, Sixline wrasse, Fourline wrasse and a Red Coris wrasse for instance.

Again, with ANY addition to a tank, there are some "anomolies" where some fish, proven to be reef safe, take a liking to corals, clams and other inverts. Always keep an eye out for trouble and be ready to act accordingly.

Dave

George
11-01-2006, 06:59 PM
Heh. Figures I'd post my opener by seeming to disagree with our host. Pre-apolgies Rob. I agree 250 is pretty intense, but perfect for some breeds.

I'd say that if you want to keep Crocea and Maxima clams 250 is perfect. I have a maxima that's maybe a foot away from a 250w DE 14K Reefstar lamp (the lamp is about 8" from the water surface) and he's ... what's the metaphor for "happy as a clam" when you're actually talking about clams? There will be nowhere to hide for low-light creatures, but I've seen even more intense setups than mine at one of our local stores here. I also have some Derasa's on the bottom, but they are relatively low light clams in demand.

It should be noted, though, that the PAR on a 14K bulb is considerably lower than on a 10K in double ended bulbs, but many breeds of clams will eat up that kind of intensity. Of course, it also depends on what your source is raising them in as well. My LFS of choice for clams uses pretty intense lighting.

When I get my 60 cube set up, I'll be putting a 400w DE bulb + suplemental T5's on it for a similarly intense setup.

Amphibious
11-02-2006, 08:03 AM
I DID have a cleaner shrimp harass my clam (until I skewered it)Tell us David, was he tasty? :rotfl:

Amphibious
11-02-2006, 08:08 AM
George,

http://www.theculturedreef.com/welcome.gif to Talking Reef Community and Podcast.

Heh. Figures I'd post my opener by seeming to disagree with our host.Ah, don't worry about it, we disagree with him all the time. Makes his life interesting. :rotfl:

JustDavidP
11-06-2006, 04:36 PM
Tell us David, was he tasty? :rotfl:

Like a Jimmy Buffet dream meal :)

Dave

Amphibious
11-06-2006, 09:34 PM
Ah yes, in Margarettaville. I remember it well. There I was standing at the buffet looking at the $25 per pop Cleaner Shrimp skewered by none other than JDP himself when, all of a sudden, SHE walked in. http://www.theculturedreef.com/a-sail4.gif I was hooked. I grabed a plate full of shrimp and headed her way while Buffet played on the Juke Box. It was a night made for love.

JustDavidP
11-07-2006, 12:36 PM
I need to get down there and party with you Richard... you and I would probably get into a LOT of trouble...

D

Amphibious
11-09-2006, 10:54 PM
Ha ha ha, Woo Hooo, let the music begin.

Rob
11-09-2006, 11:48 PM
hey, both of you come to atlanta at the end of the month and we can all party... :)
(i will be visiting Atl at at the end of the month)

Amphibious
11-10-2006, 12:22 AM
Now, there's temptation in it's purest form. :party: I'll bet Gwen is involved, too.

JustDavidP
11-10-2006, 09:47 AM
Hmmmm... Atlanta will never be the same ;)

AND you should hook up with Gwen, Kevin, whomever... I had just a drink or two with them when I was in Buckhead..and had fun... great people!

Unfortunately...I had one, or two, or three, while at the convention I was attending and was a little... how do you say.. Umbriago!

And Gwen is just as much a cutie in person ;)

D