PDA

View Full Version : Closed loop question

cabbagehead
10-22-2006, 08:41 PM
I am in the planning stages of installing a closed loop on my 135g. I was wondering if was better to use two smaller pumps of one big one. I was looking at the quiet one 6000 or two quiet one 3000. My thought was that I might not be able to supply the 6000 model with enough water to pump out the 1500gph it claims to do. I planned on using 1'' PVC for the drain and start with 1'' on the return and reduce down to 1/2'' for the output. Any thoughts???

Thanks
Jack

thesaent14
10-22-2006, 10:20 PM
well if you like to make a close loop go with a pressure pump and use inductor's to have lost and smooth flow i am using the same but i have a reef dart pump and i have made 3 difrent close loops for my 180g and the last one i aded the inductors and wow the difrens is really good is lots of flow but with out the kick

manny

doctorthompson
10-24-2006, 08:56 PM
How would you not be able to supply enough water? FWIW I recently saw a 180 with a 3000+ gph closed loop manifold using 1.5" pipe reduced to 1" for the 10 outputs and it was running with no problems. Each output was probably equal to a maxijet 900 or so for flow rate (due to some head/friction loss) but the 1" outputs took the "kick" out of the flow as manny so succinctly put it.

george1098
12-18-2006, 10:45 AM
I think it would be a good idea to go with a 1 1/2" intake, then reduce it right before the pump to 1" (I assume the intake of the pump is 1"). as for weather it would be better to go with one or two pumps, I would say two, but only because it will be easier to plumb and you won't loose much head pressyre by putting lots of splits in for multiple outlets. If you do decide to go with one pump, you may want to look at the OM four ways or super squirts. I have a super squirt on my closed loop (powered by a Dart) and I love it.