PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Tang in a 50 gallon?

keyozoxmfc
10-20-2006, 08:46 PM
i have a 36 inch 50 gallon..and i was wondering..is it possible for me to have a small tang?

fat walrus
10-20-2006, 09:09 PM
i have a 36 inch 50 gallon..and i was wondering..is it possible for me to have a small tang?
A larger tank is preferred, but if you find a small specimen.......it is possible.

V
10-20-2006, 11:34 PM
what a cak, welcome keys

only 14 and everything screams altered states of mind! kids these day, sheesh!lol

tangs are easily stressed in cramped conditions. swimming space 10times the size of the length of the fish in all dirrection will be a good starting reference for your choices. if you cant provide proper smimming space, diet and suitible tank mates you'll have a 7/10 chance that things could turn bad! or in your case, 7grams out of ten of spoilt gear! u didn't just hear me say that!

Rob
10-23-2006, 07:43 PM
75 gallons is the minimum recommended for a yellow tang IMO.
however if you find a small specimen you might be able to keep it for sometime in a standard 55 gallon tank which is 48" long
in a 50 gallon tank, thats only 36" you would be running more risk. not that you cant do it, but if you start loosing them to stress related sicknesses like Ick, etc.. its likely due to a tank thats too small.

personally, i would look at another type of fish, but thats just my opinion

CarmieJo
10-23-2006, 09:42 PM
I have a 54 gallon corner tank with a front arc of 42". All of my research says that it is too small for a yellow tang.