PDA

View Full Version : Why am I up?

CarmieJo
10-18-2006, 05:05 AM
My 18 year old son called me at 3:10. He was just getting home :eek: and there was water pouring out the front door of the house where he boards. :sailing: The senior citizen landlady is out of town. Of course he does not know where the water cut off is or who provides the water where she lives. Since he didn't know what to do he called 9-1-1 and they hooked him up with the county water people. He says that in places in the house the water was ankle deep. Then he decided to try to access the water heater which is where he thought the water was coming from and got shocked. He says his arm is still burning but he does not have any blisters. :) The water guy got there and shut the water to the house off. I have had him cut the breakers off for the water heater, heat pump (the vents are full of water) and range. Anyhow, I finally hung up with him 15 minutes ago.

What a mess! And it is even worse is that the landlady won't be back for 10-14 more days. I told him we will have to try and track her down in the morning since she couldn't do anything about it right now.

Nuts, huh?

dadonoflaw
10-18-2006, 05:43 AM
thats crazy carmie. i hope everything will be ok

CarmieJo
10-18-2006, 05:51 AM
Yeah, he said it looked like a scene in a movie. I'll keep you posted. My husband is out of town and will be going near his school on his way home tomorrow so I think he will stop in.

dreams
10-18-2006, 11:52 AM
hope you got in touch w/ the landlady....what a bummer

CarmieJo
10-18-2006, 06:55 PM
Well so far no contact with her. She does not have a cell phone. I did remember her mentioning that her brother was the State House Representative from their county so I went on the state website and found his name. I called his office and he was up in Raleigh but it turns out that she has another brother and sister in the area and our son is now in touch with them. So at least that is a start. :)

gwen_o_lyn
10-18-2006, 07:40 PM
yuck- what a mess!!

Does he have insurance on his stuff?

CarmieJo
10-18-2006, 09:27 PM
Well basically, the worst that happened to his stuff is that the clothes in a suitcase on the floor and the suitcase got sopping wet. He had all of his books and stuff at the library with him.

gwen_o_lyn
10-18-2006, 09:28 PM
Well that's good. And I take it the furniture was already there and not his?

CarmieJo
10-18-2006, 09:33 PM
Yep, it is all hers.

gwen_o_lyn
10-18-2006, 09:44 PM
That's good at least.

Does he have a place to stay for now?

CarmieJo
10-18-2006, 10:00 PM
He was looking to see if he could crash on the floor of a friend's dorm room tonight and tomorrow. He was planning on coming home this weekend and I don't have a clue after that.