PDA

View Full Version : need berghiaz?? CHEAPEST IN TOWN

pham411
01-31-2006, 01:50 AM
not plugging here, i just did some research on these expensive little buggerz. just thought if ya'll wanted to keep your aptasia under control i found these guys to work really well. all you need is patients and alot of cash.;)

http://www.berghia.net/marketprice.html

Larry from instar is a really cool guy and will answer any of your questions.

hey Rob, aptasia control....... sounds like a good podcast topic.

mike

pham411
01-31-2006, 01:55 AM
if ne1 knows of a cheaper site, please post the url..

mahaloz!!!
mike

gwen_o_lyn
01-31-2006, 10:28 AM
Have u tried peppermint shrimp? I put 4 in my tank and the aiptasia is long gone. I got my peppermints locally for about $3.50 each. I've heard peppermints can be a hit or miss but they worked for me.

Rob
01-31-2006, 01:41 PM
yes, peps are cheaper alternatives.. as gwen said, they are not 100%, but if you can afford a bit of time, it might be worth a try to save ya some money

JustDavidP
01-31-2006, 02:05 PM
I had problems keeping ANY nudis in my systems. Whatever gifts they were given, did not include BRAINS! They get stuck in overflows, powerheads, you name it. When they die, they leave all kinds of 'nasties' in the water too.

I too found that peppermint shrimp were the best for aiptasia in my systems. I've got three in my pony tank that not only wiped out every glass anemone, but spawn every two weeks and provide food for my H. Reidi!

Just be careful when you shop. There are many "look alike" shrimp being sold as pepps that just don't have ANY interest in aiptasia. I've seen them myself. It's by no fault of the LFS (for the most part) but of the distributor. They ALL look very much alike, but only the "true" peppermint (Lysmata wurdemanni) will eat the nasty aiptasia. There was an article in one of my magazines that showed all of the 'variants' of shrimp and helped to identify exactly what it is you want. I'll look for it tonight and post its publishing info.

Dave

Rob
01-31-2006, 02:19 PM
yes, i believe its the camel shrimp that is usually mistaken for the pep.
they look very similar except that the camel shrimp has a hump on its back (go figure.. lol)

JustDavidP
01-31-2006, 02:28 PM
The Camel is just one. There are actually quite a few species of shrimp that look like wurdemanni. Again, when I find the article, you'll be amazed.

Dave

JustDavidP
01-31-2006, 03:10 PM
Google: "Lysmata seticaudata", "Lysmata rathbunae", "Lysmata californica"

There are more 'look alikes' but I can't remember them off the top of my head right now.

D

pham411
01-31-2006, 04:15 PM
any negatives about pep shrimp? are they reef safe? and will they get along with cleaner shrimp? i have 3 in my tank.

pham411
01-31-2006, 04:16 PM
what i ment was will they harm my other anenomes or corals

JustDavidP
01-31-2006, 04:19 PM
They are fine...

There have been a couple stories about 'renegade shrimp' causing some problems... I've used pepps in all my systems with no trouble. I DID have to evict one large skunk cleaner that was eating byssal threads from my clams. That was one mean and big cleaner shrimp.

Pepps and Skunks get along okay. A coral banded shrimp can get ugly with other shrimp though. As can some pistols. Most Lysmata will get along fine.

D

pham411
01-31-2006, 04:44 PM
thanks, david, gwen and rob, you guys n galz are awsome. now how do i get peppz to hawaii arrrrrrrr............ thats always the case here.

JustDavidP
02-01-2006, 11:11 AM
Pham .. I have an awesome idea...

I've had no problem getting peppermint shrimp. Actually, at this time, I'm experimenting with raising the babies from my trio in a kreisel system. Whether or not they are my shrimp, or shrimp obtained from an LFS...

You could pay for my flight to the island and I will personally deliver them to you ;) Of course, after the trip 1/2 way across the world, I'd need some rest. I don't eat much :D I just need a good beach to crash on for a while...and a bucket of Corona.

Deal?

Dave

Rob
02-01-2006, 12:19 PM
hey, maybe i will start raising them too.. :)
i want in on this deal...lol

pham411
02-01-2006, 06:31 PM
great deals for you dave, you might just get your way if these anenomes get to out of hand. i was pretty despreate at one point untill i found out about berghiaz. weird that i could find someone to ship those than pepp shrimp. newayz cross those fingers!!!! and hope i get really realllly.... reallllly desperate next time, you might just be kicking it on waikiki beach with that ice cold coraona. hahaha

latez