PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Tang Died....

stevestank
10-17-2006, 11:13 PM
I just purchase a yellow tang about 4 days ago. He went and hid in a corner and would not come out. When i would feed he looked interested but still would not come out. I started to notice he was getting thinner and thinner. I tried various food, mysys etc. but still would not eat. This morning i noticed he was dead. Any ideas why he would not eat? I purchase a clown about a month ago and he also took a while to start eating (almost a week) now he's fine eats well and love the tank. I have many other fish and inverts in my tank

wwest
10-17-2006, 11:54 PM
Sorry to hear about your tang, What type of acclimation did you do?

gwen_o_lyn
10-18-2006, 12:00 AM
Welcome to TR!

Sorry about your fish? Did you watch it eat in the LFS?

What is your tank setup like?

fat walrus
10-18-2006, 02:11 AM
Did you see the fish eat before purchase?

Did you inquire about the length of time the store had the fish?

CarmieJo
10-18-2006, 05:27 AM
Hi Steve,

:sorry: to hear about your fish. That is a bummer. What are your parameters?

On a happier note, :welcome: to TR.

dreams
10-18-2006, 11:23 AM
hi Steve!

sorry for your loss......i have the same questions.....did you see the tang eat at the LFS?....acclimation?

also, ime, tangs are not easiest fish to add to the tank....they tend not to be the most hardy fish

JustDavidP
10-18-2006, 11:38 AM
For the future and the benefit of others here, I'd also like to add that it is best to ask an LFS to hold a fish for you. Some will ask you to buy it first. Others will gladly do so if you have a good relationship with them.

During that "hold over", you should be spending time looking over the fish. Do you see any signs of Ich or any other parasite. Is the fish "plump" and healthy or is it emaciated? Ask them to feed the fish in front of you. If it does not eat, don't buy it.

Some fish just take forever to acclimate properly. Tangs are notorious for "stressing" out and becoming ill or die. They are "ich magnets". Even after proper acclimation, they sometimes get ich. They need PLENTY of swimming room and other requirements that if not met, cause them stress, and therefore lowered immunity and BANG.. trouble begins.

Also keep in mind that some fish are kept so long in transport, that they are starving to death. In some cases, unless they have live food, or if it is not "too late" to reverse the starvation, they will die.

Finally, there are STILL cyanide processes being used in the collection of fish. If your fish was caught by this method, it could have been doomed from the get go.

With all that said, I'd still be interested in seeing your set up and specs.

Dave

dreams
10-18-2006, 11:46 AM
yes, mine was at the LFS for eight weks before i brought him home