PDA

View Full Version : Something to consider... Nano Fish!

JeffDubya
10-13-2006, 03:24 AM
I know a lot of people with reef tanks are looking for large, beautiful fish specimens. I want to open your mind to something I never considered until recently - fish that are considered "nano" fish.

This happened when I found my first green-banded goby. Now... it wasn't cheap. At my LFS, $19 for something that small was tough to justify, but I did and I loved it so much I bought another. (I really believe the green-banded goby is one of the most beautiful fish available to hobbyists today, amazing!)

Since then I have also purchased two neon gobies.

Since these fish are small, they also have a small biological footprint in the tank. They are also cleaner fish, so they help with the overall cleanliness of the tank. They easily and effectively add so much motion and interesting behavior, I just cannot say enough about my experiences with them thus far.

Plus, they defy gravity! (If you have one, you know what I mean. :) )

Don't let their size fool you. From everything I have read and experienced, they are equally hardy as larger fish. Personally, I would add several of these rather than one larger fish.

Just something I wanted to offer for your consideration.

Rob
10-13-2006, 11:01 AM
yes, there are a few nano fish that are great for small tanks, many of which are small gobies. i love them.. :)

thanks for sharing your experience with that one

V
10-13-2006, 11:20 AM
its an art keeping anything long term in a nano. my :hat:hats off to you for long term success!

JeffDubya
10-13-2006, 12:30 PM
Technically, at 29+ gallons, I don't have a nano - my system is too big. :)

JustDavidP
10-13-2006, 12:57 PM
Nanos Rock!

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d176/JustDavidP/Nano.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d176/JustDavidP/ano2.jpg

Raggamuffin
10-13-2006, 06:40 PM
hehehe I plan on populating my 75 with "nano fish". Various Chromis, Gobbies, a little Wrasse, my Saddleback Clown, the only larger fish I will put in there is a Coral beauty. Mine doesn't bother my corals at all he prefers to play with his shrimp buddy. Why get 2 big wonderful fish when you can have 15 little wonderful fishes!

gwen_o_lyn
10-13-2006, 07:01 PM
Jeff- I'd love to see a picture.

What is your opinion on these fish and jumping?

I have taken the eggcrate off my nano and I am rather confident that my Mural Goby (Thanks Peter for the ID) won't jump. But you never know if something may spook him. So far, I'm doing good. Do you feel the same about this goby?

I did have a goby that jumped when I had glass lids and somehow found the 1/8 crack and jumped the first night I had it. It was very stressed.

V
10-13-2006, 08:38 PM
yeah im a sucker for great looking nano's. still undefeated in the nano corner is the toothbrush nano! my all time fav!