PDA

View Full Version : Red hair

PreauxPhoto
10-12-2006, 10:15 AM
ok i've red throught all the threds that i could find, but i still need help. i have a red hair alge problem (as if this hasent been posted thousands of time across the internet) all my levels are on the nose even my LPS tested everyting and asked why was i bringing the good water. but i have red alge EVERYWHERE mainly on my live rock and glass very little is on the substrait it started off as green hair and has progressed into red slime. i get in there and blow off as much as i can every other day but all this cleaning is stressing everything out.

i have a 10gal refugium a marine land 150 wet dry with all the bio balls removed in sump skimmer running dry 24/7 with a rio 2100 return pump, 2 maxi jet 400's in tank one with a rotater providing current and i have a 384watt CF on a 75gal with a 12 hr photo cycle.

it's stocked with 4 clowns 1 carii, 2 trues, 1 maroon all less than 2", 1 twin spot goby 4", 1 eel goby (engineer dragonett?) 6", 1 manderin 3" 1 bta 4"dia 1 green star 1" moderate clean up crew.

dose with kalk in my make up OR water

i am at my witts end and starting to be concerned for the stress of my tank as compaired to looks.

should i shorten my photo cycle?

Warnberg
10-12-2006, 12:24 PM
Here is what I would suggest. Try shortening your photo period, run some rowaphos and carbon. Make sure you are using RO/DI water for your makeup water and you may try increasing circulation.

You say all water parms are great, what are they? and did you test for phosphates?

wwest
10-12-2006, 12:29 PM
How much do you feed?

PreauxPhoto
10-12-2006, 01:05 PM
am, ni, na, phos all 0, i picked up a phos test when i read that it could cause it. and ph is 8.3 calc is 420-450 cant remember what alk was but it was ok (dont have my notebook at work). i am using RO i dont have a DI unit "yet" and i added the maxi 400's to try to get rid of it but of course it didnt work (i'm causious about putting more current all at once i have another 2100 but it will take me from 12 tanks per hr. to 22 an hour. will that upset anything?). also got some SAT from the LPS but it will be my last resort. i will try it on my quarintine tank before it put it in my display.

Rob
10-13-2006, 10:18 AM
how big is the tank and how long has it been setup?

JustDavidP
10-13-2006, 11:21 AM
I get cyano, hair algae etc. as SOON as my RO/DI membranes are on their last leg. I'm telling you.. tap water is the root of ALL EVIL!

D

V
10-13-2006, 11:36 AM
i dont know whats scarier, what it picks up in the pipework journey or the additives we contribute to make it appear drinkable!

PreauxPhoto
10-13-2006, 12:25 PM
it's 75gal it's been up for 8 months but it went on a cross country move 2 months ago i kept 75% of it's water for the move.

gwen_o_lyn
10-13-2006, 07:34 PM
You are at the higher end when it comes to bioload.

Have you changed your lights out yet?

Also look at the water. The "DI" really means a lot for a reef tank.

What kind of skimmer are you running? Do you feel it pulls the gunk out really good? Everything IN must come OUT- is that happening?

I prefer to work out issues like this the natural way before adding "phos" this and "Phos" that to the tank.

Rob
10-15-2006, 08:25 PM
well this is one of those things that can be real hard to pinpoint
what i will say, is that it is very possible its a NTS (New Tank Syndrome)
i know you said its an older tank, but a disruption like moving cross county (or down the street, or even across the room) can have major impacts on the systems biological filtration. the advice that is being giving is all good, make sure you are skimming well, filtering right, not using wet/dry or bio-wheel filters, not over feeding, using RO/DI water, doing water changes, etc, etc, etc..

PreauxPhoto
10-16-2006, 12:19 PM
well i reduced the photo cycle this weekend we'll see what happens. though i have a 55 in the garage that i'm culturing some live rock in. because i have nothing in it and it's easier i've been using tap water strait out of the hose (yes, i know no need to chastize me for it) it also has red hair about the same as my display i'm either going to have my RO water tested or purchace a tester. i'm guessing i need to get a DI unit. since i have a 3 stage RO unit can i get a DI add on or will i have to purchace a whole new setup?

JustDavidP
10-16-2006, 12:43 PM
You can always add to an existing water filtration system. Most have the same "quick connect" type of fittings. Expand and conquer ;)

D