PDA

View Full Version : DIY Tank and Stand

Jimm
01-29-2006, 09:41 AM
I took the first step toward building by dream tank and stand last night. I bought a table saw. First off I live in a small one bedroom apartment so space is a problem. Next step will be to get a mitre saw and some 2 X 4's to build the frame with.

Here are the issues that I'm having with my current setup and that I'd like to fix with the new setup. Firstly I live in a second floor apartment so I'd like to avoid crashing through the floor into my downstairs neighbors apartment. So I need a way of spreading the weight of the tank out over the floor.

Second, leaks could be a problem in an apartment so a drip tray would be good. That could also distribute the weight out over the floor joists better.

Third, my current stand is too short. I have to bend over to see my critters and that makes my back ache. So I'll make the tank stand taller. That'll also make room for a refugium/sump.

Fourth, I need better lighting. PC's just aren't cutting it for the corals that I want to keep. So I'll be making a hood for some T-5 lights. That should let me keep the clams, acropora, and anemones that I would like.

Finally, my current tank isn't drilled. So I'll be drilling a tank for a Calfo style overflow and a closed loop.

I'd also like to make a matching cabinet to hold a propagation tank and my quarantine tank.

I'll be posting pictures so if you'd like to tag along please do. I'm always open to suggestions so feel free to let me know if there's a better way. I haven't done any woodworking since I was in high school shop class and since I know who The Little River Band is you can figure out how long ago that was.

A before picture.
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b184/meekerjp/fulltank_28Jan06.jpg

gwen_o_lyn
01-29-2006, 06:29 PM
Great project!!
I'm interested in seeing what kinda growth you get with the T5s.
What size of tank is it?

Jimm
01-29-2006, 09:33 PM
Me too. Looking forward to a bit more color too.

It's a 55 gallon AGA tank. But I'm going to make the stand big enough for a 75 just in case I decide to go with a bigger one.

I'm excited, this is going to be a fun project.

Jimm
01-31-2006, 07:38 PM
Unfortunately it's going to be on hold for a few weeks. The job has me out of town for a while.

gwen_o_lyn
02-01-2006, 12:09 AM
Unfortunately it's going to be on hold for a few weeks. The job has me out of town for a while.
Thats ok, we aren't going anywhere ;)

Jimm
02-09-2006, 06:57 PM
OK here's the plan for now. I'll make a scaled down version for the nano that I just ordered. That'll let me re-learn how to do all of this stuff. Then I'll make the larger one.

kj_yoda
02-10-2006, 10:21 AM
3 years ago, my wife and I built the stand for our, then 110. We decided on a few things...

1. Normal stands are just too short
2. You can't move the tank, she doesn't like when things are stationary.

So, we bilt the stand, which now holds a RR 90, where there is a 6" shelf in front of the tank and the bottom of the tanks stands 43" off the floor. This is great for viewing, but I need to get up on a stool in order to clean the tank, I guess this is a small price to pay. I love the height.

Kevin

Rob
02-10-2006, 11:22 AM
yeah, the shortness has always been something i disliked about retail stands.
i know then when i do my next project (not anytime soon) it will be much higher..

JustDavidP
02-10-2006, 06:28 PM
My 75 Gallon stand is 4' tall :D brings the tank at eye level. I'm building a new stand for my 26 bow to do the same.

D

pham411
02-10-2006, 07:39 PM
nice pix, i just finished my 75 gallon setup also. maybe ill post them later today.

Scott
02-10-2006, 08:25 PM
Wow...43 inches high.....eye level....now does anyone have them "in the wall" so they look like one large living picture on the wall? :-)

very cool things I'll have to remember if I can ever purchase a house.