PDA

View Full Version : How to put the pulse back in a xenia?

stokessc
10-10-2006, 08:54 PM
I have a question about xenia. I have two types..one is non-pulsing and the other started out with a beautiful pulse but has stopped after a while. The only thing out of whack is that my nitrates are high at the moement but I'm working on that.

Anyone have good long term experience with pulsing xenia. What is the secret to getting the pumping? I've heard everything from Strontium to Iodine to Molybdium...Kryptite...plutonium???

I'm really hesitant to add any additive unless I can test and measure to know where my levels should be.

So...xenia experts...what's the 411

Steve

Amphibious
10-10-2006, 11:37 PM
I have a question about xenia. I have two types..one is non-pulsing and the other started out with a beautiful pulse but has stopped after a while. The only thing out of whack is that my nitrates are high at the moement but I'm working on that.

Anyone have good long term experience with pulsing Xenia. What is the secret to getting the pumping? I've heard everything from Strontium to Iodine to Molybdium...Kryptite...plutonium???

I'm really hesitant to add any additive unless I can test and measure to know where my levels should be.

So...xenia experts...what's the 411

SteveYeah, I think it's Kryptonite. :rotfl: Seriously, Xenia need two things good water and Iodine. Problem is I'm with you on not adding chemicals I can't test for. Get your Nitrates done and do frequent water changes. Smaller amounts once a week as opposed to one large change a month. That may get the little buggers pumping again.

gwen_o_lyn
10-10-2006, 11:37 PM
I don't think anyone knows the answer to this unless there has been a new study that I don't know about.

Xenia is a mystery.

Amphibious
10-10-2006, 11:59 PM
You are right Gwen, I just was trying to read into my answer from things he stated that might make a difference.

tcobos
10-11-2006, 02:54 AM
I read that pulsing xenia need pH to be around 8.3 in order to do well.

fat walrus
10-11-2006, 04:10 AM
Pulsing Xenias will only pulse when there is a pulsating effect in the flow.

If the flow is constant, and never alternates, especially in a high flow tank, all pulsing xenias will eventually stop pulsing. After all, what would be the point?

In constant high flow tanks, turn off flow temporarily and you see that they will start to pulse again when the flow is shut off.

stokessc
10-11-2006, 08:30 AM
So Walrus,

Are you saying that if I turn off all my powerheads for a day or so and alternate them that the xenias should pulse again? Or do I just need to alternate the flow by using a wave maker?

I've never heard this theory.

Steve

fat walrus
10-11-2006, 07:01 PM
I used to keep a lot of pulsing xenias. But they would always stop pulsing after a while. But I noticed that whenever I shut my pumps during a waterchange, they would pulse again. After installing a wavemaker device, they would pulse almost constantly again.

I have multiple tanks, all with very high flow. The same scenario with the xenias were repeated in all the tanks. I am not sure, but I believe if the high flow never changes direction, the xenias may be tired out from fighting the current. Also it may be that the xenias train themselves to stop pumping because of lack of food in the constant current.

gwen_o_lyn
10-11-2006, 08:50 PM
If the flow is constant, and never alternates, especially in a high flow tank, all pulsing xenias will eventually stop pulsing. After all, what would be the point?

I have very high flow in my nano 25 tanks per hour not including my skimmer. My xenia is in a fairly high flow area and they pulse like crazy. The flow is also constant with one powerhead.

fat walrus
10-11-2006, 08:54 PM
I have very high flow in my nano 25 tanks per hour not including my skimmer. My xenia is in a fairly high flow area and they pulse like crazy. The flow is also constant with one powerhead.
Could be because you feed more than I did.

gwen_o_lyn
10-11-2006, 09:53 PM
Could be because you feed more than I did.

Are you watching me?? :cool:

Rob
10-12-2006, 01:40 PM
Pulsing Xenias will only pulse when there is a pulsating effect in the flow.

In constant high flow tanks, turn off flow temporarily and you see that they will start to pulse again when the flow is shut off.
i found the same to be true when i kept these, the only ones i kept were Xenia elongota and this is how they behaved

m8298
10-12-2006, 06:52 PM
I noticed the same thing, in the same manner as Walrus, they would pulse more when I did my water changes and had the pumps off. I moved most of my Xenia lower in the tank/rock work, and they started pumping a bit more often.

Then, I recently did the Maxi-jet mod to two MJ 900s, I put them on a homemade wave timer, my Xenia Have been pumping more ever since. Never really thought about the corelation there...

I used to use Lugol's solution, which also seemd to help the Xenia, but I kinda backed off that when I noticed what I believe to be a relationship between Iodine and cynobacteria.

Bernie
10-12-2006, 08:48 PM
now that i come to think about it, all of my xenia that are placed toward the middle of my tank and out of the flow of the 2 powerheads seem to pump more than the ones more in the flow of things... this also happens to be where the highest iintensity of light is in my tank... i always thought it was the light and not really the more stagnant water, but i'm thinking the second is the better explanation... thanks guys

stokessc
10-12-2006, 09:47 PM
Ok,

To back up your theories, I turned off all of my powerheads today and watched....tha-thump, tha-thump..they came back to life. So, now I've shifted powerheads to provide flow to my other areas of the tank that need it and I'm keeping the xenias in a still part. The only thing that is keeping them from "super-pumping" now is the fact that my percula rarely leaves them for more than a couple minutes. Other than that, he rolls in them constantly as if it was an anemone.

Thanks for all of your input. I appreciate it.

Steve