PDA

View Full Version : flow for macro

dadonoflaw
10-09-2006, 09:49 PM
i put a mj1200 on a 5 gal hang on back fuge for a clump of chaeto. is this too much or not enough?

CarmieJo
10-09-2006, 10:48 PM
I am not a fuge expert but I think that this is too much flow. I understand that you want relatively low flow through the fuge. My presumption is to allow for longer contact and better uptake of nutrients.

dadonoflaw
10-09-2006, 10:53 PM
well there is a rio 400 on there to bring the water into the fuge and that is all the flow that was in there until i added the mj. maybe i can keek it on briefly or something any ideas. or is the rio enough. it looks alot better with the added flow but it doesnt matter if it doesnt serve its purpose

Rob
10-10-2006, 02:07 PM
personally i think a 1200 might be a bit much, but Chaeto does like(or can deal with) a higher flow rate.

unless someone jumps in with more specifics i would just monitor it, make sure it continues to grow and stay green using either pump.

but generally speaking you want the flow rate in your fuge to much relatively low

dadonoflaw
10-10-2006, 04:57 PM
yea that is what i was saying looking at the algae now versus before when it was just the rio. it looks shinier and its a darker green but it was growing before so i will keep posting if something changes

RealChange
10-10-2006, 07:54 PM
if i dont add add good flow to my fuge, my chaeto gets engulfed with other types of algae... looks really yucky.... i gotta clean out my chaeto every 2 months. but i have a ball of chaeto in my main display thats grown quite large. my display has lots of flow, all i did was rubber band a small ball on a rock and it has grown cleanly over the past few months. i personally like alot of flow for my chaeto.
good luck.

dadonoflaw
10-10-2006, 09:47 PM
i know what u mean i was getting this brown soup goin in there until i added the flow and now it looks much better