PDA

View Full Version : bought used sump

duke1231
10-07-2006, 07:45 PM
I went to my LFS today and purchased a sump that measures 19x12x12 for 25 dollars, I thought that would go nice with my 29 gal. It came with plastic eggcrate. I have to make some modifications with it, but its acrylic and they are not huge adjustments. I am not doing bad so far got the tank which could fit in my budget and space, and a cheap sump. My question is that I might have to hang the hang my protein skimmer on the outside. Is this going to be a problem?

Rob
10-07-2006, 07:54 PM
I went to my LFS today and purchased a sump that measures 19x12x12 for 25 dollars, I thought that would go nice with my 29 gal. It came with plastic eggcrate. I have to make some modifications with it, but its acrylic and they are not huge adjustments. I am not doing bad so far got the tank which could fit in my budget and space, and a cheap sump. My question is that I might have to hang the hang my protein skimmer on the outside. Is this going to be a problem?
absolutely not, you skimmer will be fine inside or out of the sump.. :)

duke1231
10-07-2006, 08:13 PM
Oh you scared me, I didnt read my post that I wrote again and I thought you were saying absolutly not that it must go inside phewww!! cool I was hoping it would be fine. I sat down with my LFS guy and we went over the possibilites of what I could do with it. I cant believe he would sit down with me for an hour and do that. He was very patient with me and answered all of my questions. Of course nothing is official unless it comes from you guys. thanks

wwest
10-07-2006, 08:19 PM
There are some "bad" people that work at LFS and there are some good. Its great that you found a good one. Congrads on the good find too :)

Rob
10-07-2006, 08:24 PM
lol.. sorry...

yes, you are fine..

and for the LFS guy, sounds like you have a good guy there.. your a luck one.. :)

Raggamuffin
10-07-2006, 08:52 PM
Did you ask if it came from an aquarium that had been medicated? Not that it's a big deal (at least for me) it just means some more time and attention when cleaning. It's probably just a good idea to take the time anyway :)

duke1231
10-07-2006, 09:02 PM
Yea good question. It actually came from a angelfish breeder who had all this stuff something like 30 tanks of all different sizes. It was during the breeding boom that I read had happened around the early 90's. I read that in "Marine Fish USA" anyway he developed kiddney problems and wasnt able to attened to the breeding anymore and with no help he shut the doors. I am going to purchase overflow something around 800 GPH I think. Thought it would be good for my 29 gal. for like 40 dollars. I am going to really clean them good though, but good point. What is good to clean them with, Vinnegar?

JayBeDriften
10-07-2006, 10:16 PM
Duke1231, the Vinnegar and Water solution will do just fine to remove excess salt creep from the equipment your going to by. I personally run extremely hot water over the equipment that I purchase and let it run for an hour or two. Not sure I have any type of evidence that it will remove excess medication but heat is always a good way to sterilize something. :)

duke1231
10-07-2006, 11:04 PM
great will do thanks. There really isn't anything built up but its got pieces of sand and dirt in it so I am going to do what you said and use vinnegar and water and hot hot water. thanks again

JayBeDriften
10-07-2006, 11:30 PM
Duke1231, no problem. Glad I could help.