PDA

View Full Version : True or False

gwen_o_lyn
10-05-2006, 10:07 PM
I just took out a 3" cockroach that Matt wouldn't go near!! WTF??!!??!

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/8/8_1_216.gif

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_2_25.gif

wwest
10-05-2006, 10:34 PM
I personaly think the person found it should get rid of it.. :)

Sloppygolf
10-05-2006, 10:48 PM
finders.....keepers....

gwen_o_lyn
10-05-2006, 10:50 PM
Where's the gentlemen at??

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/3/3_2_107.gif

JayBeDriften
10-05-2006, 10:58 PM
Speeking of Roaches does anyone have issues with waterbugs since were dealing with so much water? I found one today in my home and went freaking crazy cleaning and disinfecting everything. Could also be that I live in the Bronx :-)

fat walrus
10-05-2006, 11:27 PM

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/3/3_2_107.gif
Right here!

:eat:

But I'm busy, kill the bug yourself. :D

V
10-05-2006, 11:29 PM
stake it and BBQ it i say! yum!:eat:

CarmieJo
10-05-2006, 11:48 PM
Well, I figure if you don't kill it right away you might loose it and then the big ugly bug is running around your house loose!

wildeone
10-06-2006, 12:02 AM
I am the official bug crusher at my house, except for spiders which I insist of taking outside. I think it's bad luck to kill a spider and I think they are beneficial.

NaClFinatic
10-06-2006, 08:40 AM
My house is surrounded by grasshoppers and crickets in the late summer/fall. It used to be a field - I guess they stayed. At least they pretty much remain outside. Except for a couple crickets that make it into the garage and drive me nuts. You can hear them but never find them!

BTW - You find it, you kill it before it gets away.

Amphibious
10-06-2006, 12:53 PM

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/3/3_2_107.gifWOW, such an act you put on, Gwen. :cool: Accept the fact that Matt is a wimp and you have to do the dirty work.

Around here who ever finds it has to kill it, now! If you let it escape into the nether world of your home, you will soon have a breeding colony. Something you don't want.

You could always appeal to Matts repressed macho side and get him one of these cockroach killers... http://www.theculturedreef.com/BoomSmilie_anim.gif or to satisfy your softer side, you could always get the preditory one of these...

http://www.theculturedreef.com/Calvin.gif

Stevej72
10-07-2006, 07:59 AM
I have to crush / capture them all

doctorthompson
10-07-2006, 08:24 AM
Whenever I find crickets in the house I put them back where they came from: the terrarium with our leopard gecko ... then I grumble about the small hole in the screen at the top ... then I sit there and watch him eat the cricket and totally forget about the hole in the screen ... until the next time I find a cricket. :)

Kevin McG
10-07-2006, 09:26 AM
Sorry but the wife kills anything with more than 4 legs, I am deathly afraid of insects with the worst going to spiders :(

CarmieJo
10-07-2006, 11:51 AM
I do make my husband get spiders on the ceiling because I can't reach them. Crutches and standing on a chair don't go together all that well. :rotfl:

Danamck
10-07-2006, 12:10 PM
My wife and I share bug catching / killing duties. If I'm home, I usually handle it. 99% of the time, it's a spider. And like Wildone, spiders are caught and released (except black widows - I kill those) in our house.

Which brings me to a true story that happened exactly one week ago. For those who don't know, my 240 is in my garage. It is a finished garage, that was originally set up to be a game room. Now it's my fish room. The garage has NEVER had a car parked in it (we bought the house brand new 10 years ago and it's always been something other than a garage!)

So Saturday I go to feed the fish and lo and behold - what do I find inside the aquarium stand - a tarantula! :o It was fairly small (3") but very aggressive (it reared up on his back legs when approached!) It gave me quite a shock, to put it mildly. So after I changed my underwear, :rotfl: I grabbed a glass jar, covered the spider, slid a piece of cardboard under, carried it far away from the house, and released it in a field.

All I can say is I better have earned some kharma points with the spider world that night!

Skurvey Dog
10-07-2006, 12:32 PM
Depending on the species determines who lives or dies in my book! :D I got the bageebees scared out of me last night driving home. I felt something crawling on my leg while driving and freaked out. I shook my leg several times and about 5 minutes later felt something crawling on my arm.:o Good grief! Drove like a maniac and whipped into my driveway and cut the light on and it was a small spider. Needless to say I beat him to a pulp. It doesn't pay to scare me.:eek:

gwen_o_lyn
10-07-2006, 12:50 PM
Nice job saving the spider. I usually leave the spiders especially if they are on the ceiling since they eat the insects I don't want around. Unless it's really big, then I have to draw the line.

Black widows are common around here, but I've never seen one in the house. *knock on wood*

bugs in the car are no good- especially bees!!

CarmieJo
10-07-2006, 01:36 PM
We have tons of those green tree frogs at our house and one of them got in my husbands car. He didn't know it was in there and it jumped off of the windshield and onto his hand! He was so startled that he nearly wrecked the car.

Raggamuffin
10-07-2006, 01:51 PM
ALL critters get a free ride in my house, we have no cockroaches though.... if we did there would be the exception to the rule... I'd have to take them outside. Poison critters get put into jars and exiled to the garage the rest wander around and eat each other or the cats get 'em.

gwen_o_lyn
10-07-2006, 03:09 PM
oh, cats are GREAT at taking out bugs!!

Raggamuffin
10-07-2006, 06:01 PM
I used to have a pet Iguana... he was better then cats, and my ferret! Well that little bugger would attack anything including me, after a few months he learned biting me earned him a thump on the head so he stopped that at least, now he just contents himself with chasing the cats and dogs.

RealChange
10-07-2006, 06:23 PM
ill take care of rats, snakes, birds, lizards, centipedes, all kinds of bugs, BUT....... flying roaches still get me. i guess its because one of my atemps to annialate one in my younger years almost made it in my mouth. ewwwwww..... still gives me chicken skin.

Amphibious
10-07-2006, 06:25 PM
We have tons of those green tree frogs at our house and one of them got in my husbands car. He didn't know it was in there and it jumped off of the windshield and onto his hand! He was so startled that he nearly wrecked the car.We've got tree frogs, too, along with Anoles, commonly refered to as chameleons. We have them on our patio and they pretty much take care of the bugs there and sometimes the Anoles get into the house. We just leave them do their thing. Here's some pics.....

http://www.theculturedreef.com/TreeFrog-1.jpg

A green Tree frog. Cute little guy.

http://www.theculturedreef.com/Tree-Frog-1.jpg

On one of our Orchid plants.

Anoles are all over the place eating bugs. Here's one from the patio around the Orchids.

http://www.theculturedreef.com/Anole-1.jpg

A baby Anole, scared to death.

fat walrus
10-07-2006, 11:06 PM
Tiggers, puffers, groupers and many other fishes love to eat bugs. Good protein too.

CarmieJo
10-07-2006, 11:12 PM
We have the anoles and blue tailed skinks too. They all eat bugs. :D

Bernie
10-08-2006, 06:34 PM
Miss Gwen, we dear, live in the Genteel South... we do not have cockroaches, we have Palmetto Bugs :rotfl:

And I do agree that the man should kill the bugs, unless he has a reaction to their bites, or if he is in the reading room, then all bets are off, handle it yerself honey!

CarmieJo
10-08-2006, 06:58 PM
Naw, Plametto Bugs are worse, they are cockroaches with WINGS!!!

Skurvey Dog
10-08-2006, 10:32 PM
And let's not forget our state bird.... mosquitos!

Danamck
10-08-2006, 11:04 PM
Y'all just have way too many bugs.

But then again, you don't have earthquakes!

- Dana in the Bay area

CarmieJo
10-08-2006, 11:47 PM
:) Our ground generally stays still.

Bernie
10-09-2006, 06:28 PM
Generally Carmie, but let's not forget that quake off the coast of Charleston a couple of years ago, and the one in Gulf a couple of months ago... Oh and one in the Alabama/Georgia region sometime last year I think it was...

I personally blame all the Californians that have moved here, but that is my excuse for high housing prices as well :D

gwen_o_lyn
10-09-2006, 07:00 PM
I have felt the tremors once myself. That was weird!

I always wonder when I go after a cockroach if it's gonna start flying or not. A large flying cockroach REALLY freaks me out!! :eek:

Danamck
10-09-2006, 07:30 PM
I was here during the last really big earthquake we had. At the time, I had 3 aquariums. The 35 hex did just fine. The 55 was on a cheap pine stand, and both the stand and the tank slid (jumped) back and hit the wall. That tank made it as well. My 240 slid 2" off it's stand, which was cinder blocks and 2 x 4's. Some of the cinder blocks moved as well. I think this is the main reason why the tank survived. The quake also shook in such a way that the 240 rocked side to side. It must have created some amazing waves, because about 50 gallons of water splashed out of the tank and onto the side walls. Let me tell you - there's nothing quite like coming home after a major quake - opening your front door - having your dog run out in hysterics - and smell the familiar scent of salt water. I walked up the stairs. I could see that the 55 had made it, but could tell that it had moved back a few inches. The kitchen floor was covered in broken glass (all the glasses and china had flown out of the cabinets). I slowly walked into the fish room, expecting to see the entire tank on the floor. What a relief to find it intact. I did not loose a single fish, even though power was off for more than 24 hours. I was very lucky.

Earthquakes and traffic - the price I pay to live in paradise! (IMO)

And Bernie - guilty as charged! I can not believe what houses sell for in the Bay area. We recently had our house appraised and - let's say there is no way I would EVER pay that amount for our house. Though I do hear there's some nice housing to be had in Georgia ...

gwen_o_lyn
10-09-2006, 07:37 PM
wow that sounds very scary! Glad your tanks were ok.

yes there are nice houses here- they are building all the time. Compared to some areas in the country, it's very affordable.