PDA

View Full Version : good cannon macro lenses

RealChange
10-03-2006, 08:03 PM
i just got the rebel xti with the stock lense. i think it was 17-55 or something. i was looking to get a good macro lense. does ne1 have any suggestion? sample pix would be nice.

heres a pic i took with the regular lense. im a newb at picture taking so dont laugh.
im still trying to get used to iso speeds and apature levels.

Amphibious
10-03-2006, 11:02 PM
I have the Nikon D70 and wanted a Macro lens. the Nikon, I think it was 30 to 70 zoom Macro was around $1000, ooops, can't do that. The guy showed me a Tamron 30 to 70 Macro for $599, couldn't do that either. The Tamron was a very sweet lens, however. What I finally settled on was to cheap it out with a set of 3 close-up lenses that fit over my Nikon standard lens. $64, works just like Macro. They came with a 1x, 2x and 4x and can be used together for several different Macro effects. I'm happy with them and saved a ton of money for reef things. :agree:

Great picture!

CarmieJo
10-03-2006, 11:23 PM
I have a Nikon D50. I have 2 Nikon & 2 Tamron lenses. But like Dick I am using close up rings for macros. I have to save my $$ for those lights.

Amphibious
10-04-2006, 12:47 AM
Good thinking, girl.

rroselavy
10-04-2006, 01:29 AM
i just got the rebel xti with the stock lense. i think it was 17-55 or something. i was looking to get a good macro lense. does ne1 have any suggestion? sample pix would be nice.

heres a pic i took with the regular lense. im a newb at picture taking so dont laugh.
im still trying to get used to iso speeds and apature levels.

Your picture is well exposed. I think a better lense may give you better sharpness over the standard rebel lense, particularly if it is a prime lense. Zoom's are handy, but rarely offer the speed and sharpness of non-zooms since they have more glass.

I am also looking for a good macro lense for the rebel. There are a few on Amazon that are well recieved (particularly Canon EF lenses) , but I need to do a bit more research before deciding.

RealChange
10-04-2006, 04:57 PM
i was looking to get the EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro Autofocus Lens. ratings on it overall is good. reviews say for intense macro the EF 180mm lens is even better. but unfortunatly i gotta eat this week so im leaning more twords the $500 100mm lens instead of the $1300 180mm one. on the other hand, i can get the 180mm and share mysids shrimp with my fishies for a week.......ewwww.. ok nm!!

Rob
10-05-2006, 11:50 AM
well i haven't found the perfect macro lens yet,
but this week i picked up a Sigma 18-200 f/3.5
its not really a macro lens, but does have some macro abilities
im going to try it out soon and see how it does

bubbletip
10-05-2006, 08:56 PM
Rob,

You will love that lens. You can't beat it for the money and versatility. You can take full tank shots and then zoom in on something in your tank.

Real Change,

You can't go wrong with the 100macro. Probably the best macro out there at the moment. The 180 is not all what it seems. The resolution of the 100 macro outsurpasses it. The only difference is the distance you keep the camera from whatever you are shooting. If you are shooting a macro of a hornets nest, having the extra room on the 180 would be appreciated. Another option is the Sigma 150 macro. I have both the 100 and 150 and love them both. I still feel the color on the Canon is just better, but I do like the added distance with th 150. You really can't go wrong with any true 1:1 macro lens. They are all very high quality. The Sigma 150 retails for less then $600 so take it into consideration as well. What is nice about it is that it comes with a tripod ring(mount) a lens hood and very protected pouch. Canon 100 comes with just the lens cap.

Rob
10-06-2006, 10:21 AM
Rob,

You will love that lens. You can't beat it for the money and versatility. You can take full tank shots and then zoom in on something in your tank.

yes, i like it so far.
i used it for a wedding shoot the other day (never do an important shoot with a new lens..lol) anyway, it performed well, better in low light than i expected.

still want to get it up to my tank, hopefully this weekend.. :)

RealChange
10-07-2006, 03:28 AM
bubbletip,

thanks for the wonderful feedback, i will concider the sigma 150 lens also. its kinda hard to choose between the better color or added distance. i will do some added research on the sigma.

thanks every1.
this is the reason y i love the talkingreef forums. never shortage of help

any other tips, advice or personal opinions are welcome. i am very interested in your experences.

UMpg
10-10-2006, 08:11 PM
I'm using a sigma 105mm 1:2.8 macro with my digital rebel, i love it. i posted a few pics (corallimorphs) i took with it in some thread somewhere.

rroselavy
10-18-2006, 01:45 AM
This newly announced Sigma lense is interesting:

Sigma 18-50 mm F2.8 EX DC Macro lens (http://www.dpreview.com/news/0609/06093012sigma18-50dc.asp)

RealChange
11-11-2006, 10:18 PM
didnt get my macro lense yet, but i was playing around with my camera. ok pic i thought. in this shot i was playing around with lighting alot. also manual focus.... hense the off focusness. hehehe.... neways here u go.

rroselavy
11-12-2006, 10:15 PM
didnt get my macro lense yet, but i was playing around with my camera. ok pic i thought. in this shot i was playing around with lighting alot. also manual focus.... hense the off focusness. hehehe.... neways here u go.

Cool Pic.

I've recently done more research into Canon Macro's, since I am planning to take the plunge soon. I'll be upgrading my 300D to a 400D(XTi) or 30D, and will be upgrading lenses as well. Here are my current notes:

Quality: The EF-S 60mm and EF 100mm Macro's seem to be the popular choices. Both are sharp and fast lenses that will allow a 1:1 magnification at the closest focus distance. This is the measure of a "true" Macro lense, so the Sigma Zoom Macro (1:3 mag) that I mentioned in a previous post is not really as useful.

Compatibilty: The EF-S 60mm will ONLY work on Canon's APS sized sensor Cameras (400D, 30D, etc.), while the EF 100mm will work on both an APS and FULL Frame sensor Cameras (5D). There are some who say the EF-S lense is a poor investment for this very reason.

Working Distance: At 1:1 magnification, the front end of the EF-S 60mm barrel is at a 4" working distance from the subject while the EF 100mm barrel is at 5.9". This extra 1.9" can give a Nature Photographer a little extra room so as not to frighten their subject. In Aquarium Photography, this also means you can obtain the maximum 1:1 magnification 1.9" deeper into the Aquarium.

Versatility: A Macro lense can double as great portrait lense. The EF-S 60mm is equivalent to a 96mm on the 400D or 30D due to the size of the sensor. The EF 100mm is equivalent to a 160mm lense on these same cameras. This may influence your purchase when you consider the Macro as a portrait lense or as an extra lense in your bag. A 160mm portrait lense may require you to be further from your subject than you wish to be, particularly when your space is constricted (such as indoors). The most popular portrait lens seems to be an 85mm, so you can see how 160mm would require nearly twice the distace from your subject. If you already have a fast zoom (ie F2.8) that covers a 85mm focal length, then the extra reach of the 160mm equivalent may be better for your lense arsenal.

Food for thought.

I am quite torn between the EF-S 60mm and EF 100mm Macros myself. I will let you know what I decide...

rroselavy
11-12-2006, 10:28 PM
This site seems to have some technically astute reviews regarding Canon, Nikon, Sigma, Tamron lenses...among which are the Macro's I've mentioned.

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/index.html

HTH...

Seahorsedreams
11-18-2006, 04:01 AM
For macro shots I use the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 1:1. I LOVE it. A tripod is a must. And I like to use a shutter release.

You really have to pick your lens carefully. It will make or break your pictures.

I think I love my tripod, my macro lens and my camera all about the same. Wouldn't want to give any of them up.

pham411
11-18-2006, 07:54 PM
yah, that lens is definatly on my must buy after i do my xmas shopping.

RealChange
12-14-2006, 07:43 PM
WOOT!! got my macro lens. just wanted to share a pic.:p

RealChange
12-14-2006, 07:48 PM
her u go . . . . .

RealChange
12-14-2006, 07:52 PM
...........................:d

Rob
12-15-2006, 12:20 AM
rock on...
which one did you end up with?

rroselavy
12-15-2006, 03:43 AM
WOOT!! got my macro lens. just wanted to share a pic.:p

Great pics. Macro photography is so other-worldly...

I picked up the Canon 100mm EF Macro a week ago! I already have a sturdy bogen tripod, but haven't had any time with holiday preparations to take any shots! I will try to take some this weekend and post them here...

Seahorsedreams
12-15-2006, 11:34 AM
Dood! Excellent lens! It's the one I use. Here's a shot of an isopod I took with it yesterday.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o292/critters_album/sphaeromatidmale.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o292/critters_album/sphaeromatidslant.jpg

RealChange
12-15-2006, 07:29 PM
i got the canon ef 100mm macro lens also!! =)

i love it :p

Reefbaby
12-15-2006, 07:33 PM
awesome pics!!! congrats!

Renee - geez - where'd you find that guy??? hopefully not on any of your fish or shrimps!! :(

Seahorsedreams
12-16-2006, 03:02 AM
Renee - geez - where'd you find that guy??? hopefully not on any of your fish or shrimps!! :(

It's a sphaeromatid (Roly Poly) isopod not the parasitic cirolanid.

I would love to get a cirolanid... but the odds are about the same as winning the lottery.

I have someone sending me a Sea Spider to photograph. I can't wait! I'm trying to put together a hitchhiker ID guide/thingy. I'm closing in on most of the common ones.

Seahorsedreams
12-16-2006, 03:04 AM
So, that's how many of us with the canon 100mm 1:1 macro lens?

Rob
12-18-2006, 05:33 PM
not me.. anyone want to buy me one?? lol

RealChange
12-19-2006, 12:22 AM
woot!! ill take another if someone wants to sponser me... lol

im currently looking into the 24-105 L lens from cannon, ne1 use this... supposibly it has super awesome reviews.

RealChange
12-19-2006, 12:26 AM
another1, i photoshoped the background in this image. simply greyed out the background, and a fancy border, thats all.

astchiefy
02-04-2007, 03:35 PM
I have a Canon A75 digital with both manual and automatic settings. I haven't bought the extra lenses yet and want to ask what to look for in a len. I have been playing with the speed and zoom but have not gotten the best pictures out of it yet. What should I look for.

Astchiefy
Dave