PDA

View Full Version : Blue Throat Trigger

CarmieJo
10-02-2006, 10:38 PM
OK, so the lfs has a beautiful 2" blue throat trigger in. I REALLY want it. Please tell me that I can't have him because he will be unhappy in my tank as he grows.

Stevej72
10-02-2006, 10:44 PM
No you can't have him because he will be unhappy in your tank as he grows. LOL
I had to do it Sorry I have no idea

wwest
10-02-2006, 10:47 PM
I will tell ya that. because i have heard they grow very quickly and are very agressive. but i have never kept one before so im just rambling :) but if it was my tank and i had the chance to get one i dont think i would proceed..

CarmieJo
10-02-2006, 11:13 PM
Yeah, that is want I know. But it sure it beautiful.

Small Fry
10-03-2006, 09:26 PM
I remember seeing keving Mcg's tank cam and watching his trigger, (dont know if its a bluethroat) CONTANTLY swimming around the tank. My uncle had niger trigger and he never stopped moving, i knw there are more docile triggers, but i believe they all need room to swim, and i dont know if a 54 gallon corner tank can do that for them.

Im only going off of what i have seen and heard, i know thats not the best aadvice, but its all i can offer,
sorry carmie
HTH

bob21115
10-03-2006, 09:46 PM
I have 2 the only thing I have problems with is they steal food from corals. But I have only had the 4 or 5 months.

PSH
10-04-2006, 12:21 AM
Just a word of caution. My niger trigger killed my coral beauty after many months of living together. Not sure what happened but all it took was a few hours. So if you have other fish they may become lunch.

bubbletip
10-05-2006, 09:10 PM
The blue throats are supposed to be reef safe and apparantly are great reef inhabitants. They do not have the same rep as your niger or clown triggers for instance. A 54G will be too small eventually. If you have a good relationship with your LFS, they may take him back when he is too big. Chances for aggression in a small tank are greater in fighting for space. Best practice is to add them to the tank last(as far as fish).

CarmieJ,

I don't know thi sfrom personal experience but heard about blue throats and did a lot of research on them. If I ever start a reef of 120G or longer, this fish is high on my list for inhabitants. I saw my first blue throat ever at a local LFS recently and fell in love immediately. Good luck in your decision.

CarmieJo
10-05-2006, 11:33 PM
I have a good relationship with the lfs but I really just don't believe that buying a fish that you KNOW is going to outgrow your tank is all that good of husbandry. I just really love the looks of this fish and love to watch them swim.

fat walrus
10-05-2006, 11:46 PM
Fish have personalities. I had a Blue-throat that harrassed my Clown trigger and Humu-humu so bad that I had to give him away.

CarmieJo
10-05-2006, 11:50 PM
Yeah, I could probably put one of your dragons in my tank and my maroon clown would pick on it! Of course, one bite and the clown would probably be history!

bubbletip
10-06-2006, 10:30 AM
I agree wholeheartedly Carmie to buy fish to fit tanks at their adult size. It was really just another option if you really wanted the trigger in the 54g.

CarmieJo
10-07-2006, 11:38 AM
What I really need is the 800 gallon tank like Shawn built. Then I would have plenty of room! Unfortunately my husband says absolutely positively no way no how!

bob21115
10-07-2006, 12:09 PM
I have 2 the only thing I have problems with is they steal food from corals. But I have only had the 4 or 5 months.

Ok I lied I now only have one I found bones in the bottom of the tank and he's the only fish missing for the 150. Really odd, he seemed to be doing great. Looked good and eat good. I wonder if someone killed him and the crabs destroyed the evidence. :mad:

Tank contents
2 Clarki Clowns
1 blue damsel
2 black stripe damsels
1 yellow eye kole tank
1 yellow tang
1 common cleaner wrasse
1 8" Chainlink eel (Feed every 2 days)
2 engineer goby's
1 yellow head jaw fish
1 tiger pistol shrimp
1 pepermint shrimp

CarmieJo
10-07-2006, 01:53 PM
Ok I lied I now only have one I found bones in the bottom of the tank and he's the only fish missing for the 150. Really odd, he seemed to be doing great. Looked good and eat good. I wonder if someone killed him and the crabs destroyed the evidence. :mad:

That stinks. I hate loosing fish for no reason at all.