PDA

View Full Version : Help with plywood tank.

TJcop
10-01-2006, 09:02 PM
Greetings everyone! I've finally jumped in and joined the TalkingReef forums! And now..for my first post:

I'm seriously considering building a plywood tank. I've been wanting a large tank, with dimensions of 72x30x30, and I just can't justify spending $1800-$2500 on the tank. That money can be put to use with so many other things: Lighting, livestock, pumps, livestock, skimmer, livestock, ro/di unit, livestock, and many other items, including (did I mention this already?) livestock!

Anyways...anyone here ever build a plywood tank? So far, I've learned that I'm going to have to use acrylic for the tank, since it will be over 30". Any other suggestions?

TJcop
10-01-2006, 09:04 PM
Here is a pic of what I'm looking at doing:
http://www.podcop.net/plywoodtank.jpg

wwest
10-01-2006, 09:28 PM
I think its a good idea, I think it would look very good when its done, However i just want to get the construction clear. I think using wood for brasing is a good idea, However ( theres always a however lol ) if you use plywood im afraid that after time the water will get to it. and plywood is made out of nothing more than wood and glue. if it was me i would probably use heavly water treated lowon. ( spelling?) IMO. and also you have to worry about weight, thats alot of weight so your stand will have to be built very well an stonge.. 280 gallon is 2408lbs not to mention rock and sand.. so the floor will have to be able to suport it as well.. I am sure you have already thought about all of this..

Good luck with it, im anxious to see how it comes out :)

Also Welcome to talkingreef :)

Stevej72
10-01-2006, 09:28 PM
to make it water tight, and water proof is a ton of work and costly. not to mention the structural integrity of the tank. IE. one less screw, glue that was just a little dry when used and that seam is 100x more likely to fail. Not just the size and shape of the box but also the fasteners and epoxy would have to be design build and structurally engineered IMO this would / could be much more costly than buying the right tank built by the pros. I have been in construction for 20 years, and something about this says mops and buckets all over it

CarmieJo
10-01-2006, 09:32 PM
Hi TJ,

I don't have any experience building tanks so I will just say :welcome: to TR. Love your location!

wwest
10-01-2006, 09:33 PM
I think ( not trying to talk for him ) but i think he is planning on useing the plywood for bracing. building the acrylic tank and then building the plywood around it. but i dont want to speak for him. :)

TJcop
10-01-2006, 09:34 PM
First of all, Wesley, it's not just plain wood. It's coated in fiberglass and epoxy.

Secondly, I'm kind of surprised by your answer, Steve. Many people have made ply tanks without any issues. Apparently, once the fiberglass "tape" and the epoxy has hardened, the thing is darn near indestructable. It's the same material that boats are made of. I've seen many done this way at that other reef forum (can I mention it here?).

TJcop
10-01-2006, 09:36 PM
... but i dont want to speak for him. :)
Yes, it's a good thing you aren't speaking for me! :D
A plywood tank is a tank built of plywood, then coated in fiberglass and epoxy. It has a large viewing pane, that is held in place by some silicone and water pressure.

wwest
10-01-2006, 09:36 PM
OK sorry for the confusion on my part. Good luck with it.

TJcop
10-01-2006, 09:40 PM
OK sorry for the confusion on my part. Good luck with it.

Hey, no problem! I appreciate any advice and guidance. :cool:

Stevej72
10-01-2006, 09:53 PM
HUmmm Cadog HIc lol

TJ by the way welcome to TR.

the thing about fiberglass is the cost of personal safety gear, that can handle the micro fibers of glass you would be inhaling and getting in your eyes. ( it would have to be smooth as glass also or it would become a nightmare to clean. then there is the epoxy fumes which might get you fired if you put on a coat before your shift lol. not that it cant be done but IMO wood tanks can be very costly if you dont already have the tools and experience on hand.

I wish you luck, and I would love to fallow a wood tank build thread keep us posted with your progress

bob21115
10-02-2006, 01:06 AM
I just did a 800 gallon lookdown(not viewable from the sides) tank 8'lx5'wx4'h out of 2x4's plywood and pondliner.

I've see a few made from plywood and fiberglass. If you work with fibergalss go for it. Not ever working with fiberglass I wnet with a 40 ml pondliner. Look for a build post soon.

V
10-02-2006, 08:52 AM
in my travels ive seen some examples, ive also seen some major spills! bonding the viewing panel would be the hardest to achieve, i can make milkshakes, not fishtanks, so im as useless as tits on a bull! ;) thats a killer DIY job on your hand, i say go for it with strong support, and structural supports!

bob21115
10-02-2006, 09:09 AM
Thats why my tank is a lookdown. I didn't want to mess with the viewing windows

TJcop
10-02-2006, 10:46 PM
If I may....this thread (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=674932)will give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

bob21115
10-03-2006, 10:01 AM
This is my plywood tank. 8'lx5'wx4'h

http://www.wmiaquatics.com/images/rc/lookdown1.jpg

http://www.wmiaquatics.com/images/rc/lookdown2.jpg

Sorry about the photo quality. Learning to take pictures of the aquarium's is next on the project list. I have 2 400w 20k XM's in Luminarc III reflectors above the tank thats why its so blue.

NaClFinatic
10-03-2006, 11:42 AM
why so deep?

bob21115
10-03-2006, 02:12 PM
I wanted to be able to lean on the wall like a bar. Which puts it at 4 feet. Water depth is close to 3 foot.

CarmieJo
10-03-2006, 11:39 PM
I recommend the photography podcast if you haven't listened to it. I found it very helpful and it lowered my frustration level with my images considerably!

bob21115
10-03-2006, 11:44 PM
I'll have to relisten to it.

CarmieJo
10-03-2006, 11:47 PM
If you use a filter on your lens I've read that taking them off can improve pix of your tank. But, honestly for my camera I can't see any difference. :)