PDA

View Full Version : New 75 Gallon

f1504b4
09-26-2006, 06:46 PM
Hi everyone,Thanks for all the help and you guys and girls have givin me about setting up a new aquarium.
I have made up my mind to set my FOWLR Aquarium with a DSB and 2"PVC with holes in it to put my base rock on first.I am thinking that I can set the LR up first and then use the plastic method of putting the Aragonite in after.
I am planning on useing a 20 gallon aquarium for my sump and putting my Protien Skimmer and heater in that and a overflow on one end as this will be a room divider aquarium.
I want to go with the refugium in the future but with the cost of everything I think this a good way to start.
What do you all think am I missing anything?
Phil

CarmieJo
09-26-2006, 07:20 PM
I don't use the pvc stands (although I will next time) so this is just conjecture on my part but I think it might be hard to balance your rock on the stands without the benefit of a sand cushion in case of oops. Plus it might then be hard to get the sand under the rock. Other than that I think your plan is fine.

f1504b4
09-26-2006, 08:05 PM
Hi Carmie.Your right I just thought of that Ishould put the sand in first?

f1504b4
09-26-2006, 08:08 PM
Hi Again or should I put like A 2"layer in first to build my rock on and but the rest in afterward?

CarmieJo
09-26-2006, 08:25 PM
FWIW I would put all the sand in first and then build your rock. And then if you are like me you will rearrange your rock & rearrange it & rearrange it...

NaClFinatic
09-26-2006, 08:28 PM
I was thinking about instead of the PVC, putting some base rock in before the sand and that would provide the stable base for the rest fo the rock...

Any reason that would be a bad idea?

f1504b4
09-26-2006, 08:31 PM
But I thought that once it was in place that it stayed there not like my african chichlid aquarium that I allways took all of the rocks out and changed them all the time,Iknow you can't take them out of saltwater aquariums but I thought once they were in place they stayed there?

f1504b4
09-26-2006, 08:33 PM
Hi Na.Never thought of that

CarmieJo
09-26-2006, 08:43 PM
Well you might not want to put the base rock down on the glass because you will have a smaller area for a dsb.

I do most of my rearranging without taking the rock out. When you remove rock you will get some coralline die-off but it will re-grow.