PDA

View Full Version : Is this bubble algae?

mikellini
09-20-2006, 05:44 PM
From everything I've read, bubble algae is some shade of green. The stuff I have is like a carpet of dark, dark purple, with bubbles underneath it. The bubbles are soft and pop easily, and are growing under the dark algae on glass and rock. The bubbling seems to be a metabolic byproduct, and is growing daily. The algae is filamentous, not slimy, and is definitely NOT green. Any ideas? Should I worry?

Mike

Rob
09-20-2006, 06:56 PM
it is not bubble algae, bubble algae is firm defined bubbles..
what you have is a type of nuisance algae, maybe cyanno, and under i are collections of gas bubbles that are getting built up, these bubbles are normal in this situation..

this like most nuisance algae is usually caused by excess nutrients, insufficient flow, or both

mikellini
09-20-2006, 09:13 PM
I have an eclipse hood that flows at 250 GPH, and an Aquaclear powerhead that flows at 175 GPH. Actually I have two powerheads, diometrically opposed, alternating on/off times every twelve hours. Should I have them both on at once? If so, should I move them so they aren't facing eachother? I heard something about mimicking the ocean tide, was just testing it out, is this a good way to do it? I know 12 hours isn't exactly the right time cycle, but you get the idea...

Mike

doctorthompson
10-25-2006, 12:11 PM
Don't bother alternating them, it wears down the impellors and effectively cuts your total flow in half. Just make sure the flows intersect. The output from eclipse hoods produces mostly laminar flow across the top of the water but you can replace the stock deflector (or deflectors if it has 2) with something like a dishwasher nozzle from an appliance parts store to give you more directional control. You'll have to pull the bio-wheel out to fit the nozzle(s) which, as an added bonus, cut the nitrates in half within a week in our tank.

iglowce
12-31-2006, 05:52 AM
i have seen 2 types of bubble algae. both are in a defined shape of a bubble. but one has a little white-ish mark when you look down from the top. the other doesnt. anywayz get an emerald crab. they do wonders!