PDA

View Full Version : titanium heaters

dadonoflaw
09-19-2006, 11:34 AM
are they a good choice for the reef tank or no? also what wattage should i be lookin for to heat a 125? or would it be better to see if i need a chiller and just get a heater on the chiller?

gwen_o_lyn
09-19-2006, 07:41 PM
I had a WON titanium heater fail on me.. I prefer the Jager heaters.

I recommend 2 of these:
http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=EJ1119

Amphibious
09-19-2006, 09:58 PM
I've never used a titanum heater. I always buy Jaeger heaters. Follow gwen's advice. You can't beat the price nor the quality.

dadonoflaw
09-20-2006, 01:00 AM
what wattage is appropriate for a 125gal and i heard getting two smaller heaters is better than getting one big one. is this true?

Amphibious
09-20-2006, 06:30 AM
what wattage is appropriate for a Gal and i heard getting two smaller heaters is better than getting one big one. is this true?Your source has things mixed up a bit. First, having two heaters is a personal choice, Personally, I've never used two because I've been using Jaeger from the time they were introduced. Jaeger has a great reputation and the only heater I'll use. Second, two heaters are better than one but they both should be adequate to heat the aquarium singly.The second heater is set just below the first as a back up in the event the first one fails for what ever reason. Like I said, it's one of those things that's a matter of choice.

Many heaters are submersible. Jaeger is the only brand I feel comfortable with in that position. Built like a tank! Albeit, a glass tank.:p

JustDavidP
09-20-2006, 08:00 AM
Glass and Dave do NOT get along. I've broken many glass heaters in my time. Right now, I use a Jalli Titanium with remote controller in the sump of my seahorse tank. It has been "true" for two years now.

In my 75G reef, I had a Jalli Titanium in the display, in the back, down low, and a stealth in the sump.

Dave

Rob
09-20-2006, 04:24 PM
I had a WON titanium heater fail on me.. I prefer the Jager heaters.

I recommend 2 of these:
http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=EJ1119
same here, i had one, it fried out on me within a week, but then again, the one i had was not very good quality.. so that aside, my only issues with titanium heaters is that the temperature probe, if it is not properly secured and placed in the tank it can pop out causing you to cook your tank.

Jaeger is my number 1 choice
Visatherm stealth is my number 2 (these are unbreakable plastic heaters with built in thermostats)