PDA

View Full Version : Why dual holes in a reef-ready tank?

Astrivian
09-18-2006, 02:00 PM
In the process of convincing my wife to hook me up with a 55 gallon tank, i found a reef-ready one with a corner overflow. I noticed there are two holes drilled at the bottom of the overflow. Why two? I know they are supposed to drain in to a sump or fuge, but why would i need two holes?

Also, does anyone know any good resources for plumbing?

JustDavidP
09-18-2006, 03:28 PM
Typically, your overflow will house a durso stand pipe of sorts..and the other is the return. You may notice that your overflow has a cutout for a return pipe/nozzle.

D

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-01/gt/images/rroverflow3.jpg

JustDavidP
09-18-2006, 03:29 PM
Plumbing for your reef? There are many good sites to choose from. Do a simple google search with "reef plumbing durso overflow etc." and you'll find lots. I believe our friend Dick H. has some stuff on his site too.

D

gwen_o_lyn
09-18-2006, 06:04 PM
Can't see your pic Dave- RC doesn't allow using their pics.

One hole is where the water drains into the sump, and the other is where the water shoots into the tank. Water is flowing in opposite directions.

PSH
09-18-2006, 11:57 PM
It must be a browser thing, because I can see the pic just fine. Great answers so far.

Astrivian
09-19-2006, 11:59 AM
Oh okay that makes sense. I was thinking the return went up and over the back (like in Rob's tank). So in this case the return would arch over the overflow and go into something like a spraybar, say along the back, right?

Thanks for the info David P, i will read up on this stuff.

wwest
09-19-2006, 12:05 PM
There are many diferent reasons why holes are a good idea, one i like the most is you dont have to have a syphon to create the over flow. Thats one more point of failure you dont have to worry about.. If i could buy another tank and start from scratch it would shirley be a drilled tank..

JustDavidP
09-19-2006, 12:47 PM
I'm a drill-a-holic :) I use a dremel... and make lots of noise and dangerous glass dust... goooood times....gooooood times :)

Dave

wwest
09-19-2006, 12:55 PM
You drill threw glass with a dremel? lol Fun Vacation time there :) lol

JustDavidP
09-19-2006, 02:40 PM
Naw... it took me less than 10 minutes to drill my 26Bow with the dremel. I simply used a plywood template, clamps, the dremel, and earplugs!

:)

Dave

Astrivian
09-20-2006, 12:11 PM
So i found some info on the durso standpipes online. These make a lot of sense; i couldn't figure out why you would even want a standpipe at first. Now it seems to make sense. Thanks for your help all.

David P: you drill through glass with a dremel? What type of tip do you use on it? I tried this before (not on an aquarium) and ruined my dremel stone. Are there diamond ones for this type of stuff?

NaClFinatic
09-21-2006, 02:20 PM
It must be a browser thing, because I can see the pic just fine. Great answers so far.
Maybe you are logged into RC and it allows you to open it?

PSH
09-22-2006, 12:35 PM
Maybe you are logged into RC and it allows you to open it?

I don't think thats it. I am not a member of that site.

JustDavidP
09-22-2006, 12:52 PM
I use diamond tipped bits. You can find them around. I got some at a masonary store locally, but friends have bought them online.

http://www.drillglass.com/gldrbiforrot.html

Dave