PDA

View Full Version : Red Slime Road Block

Seaboy_HPT
09-17-2006, 05:01 PM
I have a red slime problem building up in one of my tanks but I also have specialized fish that present road blocks too many of the solutions to combat this problem. Looking for suggestion.

Basically I have cow fish and seahorses in species only tanks. Both types of fish can not tolerate high water flow. Seahorses especially do not like too much water movement as they are not good swimmers and need low flow to mate.

Second challenge, is too many nutrients in the water. Seahorses eat a specialized died of Mysis which is very high in HUFA. Good for the horses, bad for the water. They are slow eaters, and because they have almost no stomach, unlike other fish they must be feed 2 or 3 times a day!

Have changed out lights, have a basic clean up crew but adding other fish or some larger crabs like the sally light foot will not be a workable solution. Seahorses have no defense other then camouflage and most breeders keep them in a species only tank. Even fish that dart too fast are not recommended as it scares them into too much stress.

Red slime is mainly on the live sand and now moving onto the liver rock. As soon as I remove it, comes back in a few days. Trying phosphate remover but not doing much.

Thinking about Chemi-clean but I have read several people have lost their fish from this stuff. I am not willing to risk that, horse are my pride and joy.

So how do you deal with red slime if your aquatic friend need low water flow and high food content in the water column? Any other ideas guys?

By the way, forgot to mention, both tanks have a skimmer, uv staralizer, light timmers, 2 powerheads, and chillers.

CarmieJo
09-17-2006, 07:07 PM
Hi Seaboy,

:welcome: to TR. Hopefully Dave will chime in here. He raises seahorses and may have the answer for you.

Rob
09-19-2006, 11:29 AM
Seaboy, i think Dave got this answered, or at least started to, in your other thread, if you still need additional assistance, please let us know