PDA

View Full Version : lr and ls

dadonoflaw
09-14-2006, 01:44 AM
i know rob mentioned some money saving tips for setting up a tank and i wanted to know where i can get some of the sand and rock that he was talking about to cut costs?

V
09-14-2006, 07:38 AM
this is left for americans only im afraid. someone will post up soon bud!

Rob
09-14-2006, 05:08 PM
there are multiple things you can do..
many people people start by going to local hardware stores big or small, and looking for aragonite based sand.. this is usually labeled as play sand, and is tagged as coming from the Caribbean.
there was stuff sold under the names of Old Castle and southdown, but according to Amphibious, this stuff is no longer sold (he has a long write up on the details here in the forums).
that said, from time to time, i still hear people mention that they have found it, or something similar to it.

the main thing is you want to try and stay away from silica based sand.

now if you cant find this play sand, then you can get regular dry sand from your LFS. it will cost more than play sand, but will not be as much as LS.. personally i do not see much value in the LS in a bag stuff..

so if all else fails, go for the LFS sand, just not the LS

CarmieJo
09-14-2006, 11:18 PM
As far as base rock goes you should be able to get that at your lfs. It is less than half the price of LR.

f1504b4
09-15-2006, 08:43 PM
shouldn't I just wait and add all LR.

CarmieJo
09-15-2006, 10:03 PM
Well base rock will become LR. I don't know that there are any studies but I believe that you will start having the microscopic life in a few days. After a few months you won't be able to tell which was which. So it is a way to save some money :D that you can then spend on something else.

wwest
09-15-2006, 11:42 PM
If i was in your shoes i would set the sand into place and then add the water. (trash bag and bow trick is perfect for keeping the sand storm down) then let the tank sit for a few days so the sand settles, then add a mixture of live rock and reef rock ( base rock ) That way the sand doesnt settle onto the rock and create a white film over around the rock. Then let the tank cycle for awhile. As for the sand i would calculate how much i would need and then use play sand as a base and use the live sand for the top coat. If you split everything 50/50 ( play sand and live sand, reef rock and live rock ) you will save a bit of money and the live sand and rock will help cycle the non living sand and rock.. IMO

If i havnt already welcomed you: Welcome to Talkingreef :)

dadonoflaw
09-17-2006, 01:57 AM
thank you for the welcome wwest. i have a question though. i have 100 pounds of uncured rock and about 50 pound of dead rock. how much more do u think i would need? also how long do u need to sit it in water before you can put it in the tank if there is nothing in the tank?

JayBeDriften
09-17-2006, 02:10 AM
I can completely confirm Amphibious statement about finding Aquarium compatible sand from home depot or any other retail location that sells sand. I decided that I wanted to make a minimum 4 inch sandbed in my 180 gallon and I was having issues finding playgroun sand so I decided that on my day off I would drive to every single location in New York City as far north to Kingston New, York and as far west as Middletown, New York. and as far east as Woodbury, CT. My friend you are out of luck and must buy it from the online retailers or local pet store. Their are no more ways to cut corners their.

wwest
09-17-2006, 10:46 AM
The sand you are looking for says Manufactured by Old Castle in little print at the bottom front of the bag. Now im not sure about D.C. or New York but Wal-mart and Lowes here carry it. Wal-Marts version is in a very colorful bag as well as the sand coming in diferent colors. Lowes has one type that is in a stong fibor bag and only comes in white. Both bags say play sand on the bag. Not all of the same locations carry the same stuff so you might not be able to find it local to you. This is what you are looking for at the bottom of the bag.
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i126/wwest2/sand.jpg

Now as for the rock im not exactly sure what size tank you have, however i would say 150 pounds is a good place to start. Personaly i would put the sand in add the water and wait for a few days untill all the sand has settled, Then add the rock.

Amphibious
09-17-2006, 10:50 PM
wwest,

The bag of Oldcastle sand you are showing is not the right stuff, in my humble opinion. On the left side of your picture I can make out a portion of a warning label. All I can read is "lica dust". Do you see it??? I believe it's referring to silica dust. That warning would not be on Aragonite sand packaging because Aragonite doesn't contain Silica dust. I think what you have there is Silica play sand. Here is a quote from Rob, our leader.
the main thing is you want to try and stay away from silica based sand.I agree with that. Just want you to be aware that all play sand is not recommended for aquariums.

I believe Aragonite sand is no longer available through Oldcastle or any other cheap source except in Miami where you have to buy a dump truck load and pay for delivery. The only other source is Carib Sea and we know they are not cheap.

wwest
09-17-2006, 10:55 PM
Good eye :) I even tested that sand.. with the vinager test. i used some of that sand in a frag tank and it didnt show any sign of silica. now isnt that was the vinager test is supose to test? i cant read the rest of the label it is wore off. but your right it couldnt possibly say anything esle..

so then if all of that sand desolved in vinager, what is the vinager test for?

dadonoflaw
09-18-2006, 03:57 PM
i wanted to use the system that was suggeested by amphibious but the fish stores in my area have none. can the sand bed be effective otherwise? or is there an alternative to using flat rock to move the rock off? also does the sand bed need to be even throughout the floor of the tank?

CarmieJo
09-18-2006, 06:13 PM
i wanted to use the system that was suggeested by amphibious but the fish stores in my area have none. can the sand bed be effective otherwise? or is there an alternative to using flat rock to move the rock off? also does the sand bed need to be even throughout the floor of the tank?

Which system suggested by Amphibious? If is is for getting your LR off the sand I believe he just uses lengths of PVC pipe, possibly the 2" size. As far as an even sandbed goes, mine is always being sculpted by the inhabitants and the current in my tank. I've given up trying to keep it even. :)