PDA

View Full Version : Test Kit Advice

jdwhit
09-12-2006, 11:21 PM
I have always had fish only tanks. Just set up a 14 gallon Oceanic Bio Cube, my first reef tank. Besides Nitrite and Nitrates, what should I test for, and how often. I know that there are some good and some very bad test kits. I would like recommendations. I do not like wasting money. So what test kits should I buy. If you want to see my nano, pictures are posted in my thread in the Nano section. I bought some corals this past weekend and will add pictures of them in the next day or two. Thanks for advice on test kits.

fat walrus
09-12-2006, 11:31 PM
I believe that no test kit is a waste of money. Knowledge of your water parameters is the best way to save money.

1) you will not buy specimens when conditions are less than ideal.
2) you will not buy chemicals and supplements that you have no need of.
3) by knowing the condition of your tank when losses do occur will help to prevent repeating same mistake.
4) by maximizing the growth and survival probabilities of your current stock, you can utlilize farming technics to help pay for your hobby.

Rob
09-13-2006, 12:05 AM
that being said, i have had good luck with test kits from
- Salifert
- Aquarium Pharmaceuticals
- FasTest
And have not had good luck with test kits from
- Hagens

Other items to test for in a reef tank
Basics
- Nitrite
- Nitrate
- Ammonia
- PH
- Temp
- Salinity or Specific Gravity

Beyond Basics
- Alkalinity
- Calcium
- Magnesium
- Strontium

jdwhit
09-13-2006, 12:06 AM
I agree that test kits are not a waste, but in the past I have bought test kits that were poorly designed and were a waste. I am looking for advice on which tests I should do, how often and which brand of which test kit I should buy.

CarmieJo
09-13-2006, 12:07 AM
I agree with Walrus. I use Aquarium Pharmaceuticals for my NH3, NO2, NO3 & pH and Salifert for everything else. Salifert are supposed to be the best but I have not seen any concrete evidence of this.

jdwhit
Rob,
I must have been posting when you replied. Thanks

Rob
and to add to how often, this is a hard when..
the easy answer is as needed.. but what if you don't know "as needed"

i recommend starting with weekly tests and adjusting (more or less) as you become more comfortable with your tank...

CarmieJo
09-13-2006, 12:17 AM
I usually test the day after my every "week to ten days" water change.

jdwhit
09-13-2006, 12:31 AM
Carmie, That sounds like good advice, the day after water change.