PDA

View Full Version : Help! how to put new cap on tank?

rica5tully
09-11-2006, 08:11 PM
Hi everyone,

I could really use some advice:

I have a 72-gallon bowfront All-Glass tank. It is NOT set up currently but I'm trying to get it ready.

I noticed that the top/middle/center brace that keeps the front and back from bowing out is broken. It's plastic and is part of the large plastic cap that covers the entire top of the tank. So now when I fill the tank with water the back wall bows out about 1/4 inch.

I have a new cap that I got from All-Glass. But how do I put it on? How do I take the old cap off since it's on there with silicone?

Thanks a lot. I'm excited to get this tank up and running, but I just don't know how to take care of this problem.

ET

Stevej72
09-11-2006, 08:35 PM
First you have to cut off the old one with a utility knife (be careful the edge of the glass is sharp) then scrape off all the old silicone ( take the blade out of the knife for this or buy a glass scraper) then you have to clean all trace of old silicone off using alcohol.
The instructions on the "Aquarium Sealant" ( from LFS or online ) Dome Depot might have a silicone that will work but it must say for aquarium use ( usually in the small print on the back ) Don't use regular Silicone. Run a bead of "Aquarium Sealant" in the chanel of the trim cap about 1/4" thick then apply trim to top of tank making sure to push it on all the way os its sits flat.

rica5tully
09-11-2006, 08:40 PM
I feel like I'll need to cut the cap off in some way because the silicone is up underneath and it hangs over on both sides of the glass.

Should I just use a hacksaw and just start to cut it? Or is there a better way?

Thanks.

Stevej72
09-11-2006, 09:14 PM
When I did mine i used a utility (razor) knife it wasn't easy but it did cut through it. I cut the length ways at the corners then peeled it off don't use a hacksaw its not that thick and you'll hit the glass

Stevej72
09-11-2006, 09:15 PM
PS it is a PITA