PDA

View Full Version : How high can I get?

dassystem1
09-09-2006, 05:30 PM
Hi guys me again. Just back from a disaster with setup of my 180gal. Was trying to clear up the sand storm with a external Fluval filter and it malfunctioned during the night. That being said 40 gal of water on the living room carpet. Almost gave up right there. Carpet has been removed and the place is in a mess. Never the less I guess I am a die hard and will probably stick in there. Insurance claim keeps me busy now. Well that was off topic a bit, what I was wondering is how high do you put the partitions in the sump and fuge. How do you determine the height when you make it yourself? Do you have to experiment with the flow? and the pumps ability to return water to the tank? Before the disaster I had a sump/refugium setup that I thought would work but the partitions turned out to be to high and just did not work out well. I had to close the return valve as it kept pumping one division dry. Also can you explain to me why manufactured refugiums are so expensive? There seems to be very little in them? Although they must have the partitions in the right place right:agree: Well this is kind of a non specific question to answer but maybe you could inlighten me or point me to a site. Thanks for your help as always. Dass

CarmieJo
09-09-2006, 05:53 PM
Dass, I can't answer your questions about the partitions. But, I wanted to say that I am sorry to hear about your disaster. That really stinks.

gwen_o_lyn
09-11-2006, 12:40 AM
Sorry to hear what happened.

I dont know the answers either, but here is a bump.

Jarhead
09-28-2006, 10:08 AM
NOt sure if you are still looking at designs, but they have a few here http://www.wetwebmedia.com/refugium.htm - good luck

JR Aquatics
09-28-2006, 10:41 AM
I set my baffles an inch apart and an inch from the bottom. You can grab some great ideas from this site http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html

JustDavidP
09-28-2006, 01:45 PM
The top most height of the baffles that are 'fixed' to the bottom of the sump will dictate the height of the water column in the sump. With that said, you will want to calculate just how much water will cascade down from the display to the sump if/when the return pump is shut down. This will let you know if you will have an overflow issue or not. Also, keep in mind that a smallish, drilled hole in the collar of the nozzle end (below the water line) will help break the siphon from the display to the sump. KEEP IT CLEAN! and you can reduce the gallons that end up in the sump after the return is shut down.

The baffles that are lifted from the bottom of the sump (and the distance between said baffles) should be designed with "flow rate" in mind. The tighter the openings (to bottom and to the adjacent baffle), the faster the flow rate through those baffled areas and less likely chance for air bubbles to escape upwards.

Depending on the size and configuration of the sump plan, you may also want to ensure that you can get into every nook and cranny for cleaning/maintenance purposes.

Dave