PDA

View Full Version : First saltwater 75Gal

f1504b4
09-03-2006, 09:13 AM
Hi everyone,
Great site glad I found it.I am in the process of planing a saltwater FO with live rock for the first time,the 75 gallon tank I have was used for African Chiclid.I have been reading books and here on the internet a lot over the past 2 months.So far I have 2 40 lb bags of Carib Sea Aragonite,instant ocean synthetic sea salt,aCoralife super skimmer for up to 125 gallons,a Kent Marine TFC & Hi-S RO unit.
I also have a 304 and 404 Fluval canister filters and was planing on using both of them but not sure how to split the media up in them.
Thats as far as I've got and still have alot of questions,so any help I can get will be appreciated.
Phil

wwest
09-03-2006, 11:12 AM
First off Welcome to Talkingreef, glad to have you aboard

great solection on equitment, however :) i have a friend that was running two fluval 404's and he was having a major nitrate problem. we couldnt figure it out. we were doing 10% water changes every week and nothing helped. well we decided to unplug the canisters and within two weeks the nitrate levels went from 250ppm to 0ppm. i am convinced the canister filters were to blame as nothing esle in the tank changed over that period. just thought i would share that with ya since you have two fluvals

feel free to ask whatever you want..:)

f1504b4
09-03-2006, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the imfo Wes,now I have more to think about.

Stevej72
09-03-2006, 12:51 PM
f1504b4
:welcome: to TR

CarmieJo
09-03-2006, 02:15 PM
Hi Phil,

:welcome: to TR.

As far as the canister filters go I use mine occasionally for water polishing or running carbon.

f1504b4
09-03-2006, 02:34 PM
Thanks Carmie,
I have the fluval's and my LFS said I could use them.Trying to save money by using what I have but now I'm not sure.
What woud you recomend?
Thanks Phil

Reefbaby
09-03-2006, 03:34 PM
Welcome f1504b4!!

I would recommend NOT using the canister filters. Especially if they're packed with media, they're bound to become nitrate factories.

Rather try to set up your tank with some live rock, which will help to keep your nitrite/nitrate levels low. Using a skimmer will also help...

f1504b4
09-03-2006, 04:23 PM
Thanks Christi,
So far everyone has told me to stay away of canister filters so thats the way I wil go now I have to reserserch a new setup witch is okay because from my reading tells me that it's not the way to go.
Phil

JR Aquatics
09-03-2006, 09:33 PM
I second or should I say third, no to the canister filter. They are fine if you tend to use carbon and place them on your tank periodically for clean up. Are you setting up a reef or fish only tank?

gwen_o_lyn
09-03-2006, 10:01 PM
Welcome to TR! Please do tell us your plans for the tank.

I agree with the folks above on the canister filter. I like to keep my reef natural. A skimmer and live rock will keep your tank clean.

JayBeDriften
09-03-2006, 11:42 PM
Well just like any mechanical and chemical power filter without proper maintenance and media changes your bound to have some issues with water quality and nitrate issues. I have personally used canister filters on various setups that I have had in the past and as long as your an individual who can stay on top of your water changes every 1 to 2 weeks and media changes every 3 to 4 months then you shouldn't have a problem. But to each his own. I'm actually going to incorporate the new Fluval FX5 on my 47 gallon cube setup since I'm limited on space in my living room.

CarmieJo
09-03-2006, 11:44 PM
I think he is planning on a FOWLR tank.

Phil,

How much rock are you planning on buying? It will take a little while but base rock will become live rock if you seed it with just a little LR.

Also, keep in mind that if you ever treated the African Cichlid tank with copper it may be in the silicon and will leach out killing inverts.

JR Aquatics
09-03-2006, 11:53 PM
Good catch Carmie... I totally looked past that one. You may have saved our new reefer from lots of headaches.