PDA

View Full Version : cant get a stable PH

fishyshawn
08-30-2006, 09:57 PM
ive been trying to get a stable for the last few days and i cant get it to stay at one level i add in kent marine ph buffer but it only raises ph for about a day then when i retest its back down. at first i thought it was from topping of the aquarium but i checked the ph before i topped off and it was low again. i do have a fan blowing across the water and i was wondering if evaporative cooling could lower ph

thanks
shawn

wwest
08-30-2006, 10:09 PM
what are the other levels of your tank? cal,alk, etc?

jokeloma
08-30-2006, 10:54 PM
Whats the variance over a twenty-four period?

Rob
08-31-2006, 11:17 AM
also,
- what is the size of the tank
- is it in an enclosed room
- whats the PH of the source top off water

m8298
08-31-2006, 07:37 PM
Rob what does the size of the tank and whether it's in an enclosed room matter? b/c of higher CO2 levels in the room?

Rob
09-01-2006, 02:01 PM
yes, it all has to do with air exchange, enclosed rooms have higher levels of CO2, and can have an effect on your tanks PH.. this is not exactly "common", but it has been show to be true.. if your tank is in a bedroom, so something similar and its closed up with no heat or air flow running, it can cause problems..

i have worked with people in situations like this where simply cracking a window has resolved there PH issues...

again, not that its common, just thought id ask so we could rule that out..

fishyshawn
09-02-2006, 02:26 PM
ph 7.7
alk 11
NO2 <0.3
NH3 NH4 0
phsophate 0.0
NO3 0
calcium 60
the calcium im not so sure about the kit is kind of confusing and i dont trust it (its only temperary)
the tank is in a fairly large room
the aquarium is 24 gallons
the top of waters ph is 6.0
i might try cracking the window
there is nothing in the aquarium except LR and a few hermits and what ever hitchiked in on the LR
thanks
shawn

Rob
09-04-2006, 10:25 PM
did you happen to check the PH of the source water?
you are buffering your change water, are you buffering your top off water as well?

fishyshawn
09-05-2006, 04:39 PM
the levels are from after i have buffered the water and befor i have added any other water. Could the problem be with the buffer? the change waters ph is the same as the top off water.