PDA

View Full Version : ID Please

mvcg2001
08-16-2006, 10:46 PM
This anemone was sold to me as a Bubble Tip, but on closer inspection I think it looks more like a Sebae. This is the first night in my tank, so it's not fully relaxed but can someone ID for me, please?

<Mark />

mvcg2001
08-16-2006, 10:49 PM
P.S. It's not as white as the picture makes it look. It's more tan in color. I'm aware that a white anemone usually means a dying anemone.

<Mark />

wwest
08-16-2006, 10:53 PM
me being the rookie i am im not sure but it looks like a purple tipped sabae.

also my anemone has been white since i got it and its doing great.... its white to a point where i can see threw it most of the time

Koby!
08-17-2006, 01:22 AM
im no expert either but i would agree with wwest on the sabae.

fat walrus
08-17-2006, 02:19 AM
i say sebae

mvcg2001
08-17-2006, 08:25 AM
Uh oh... looks like I may be upgrading my lighting sooner than anticipated. :)

Regarding the anemone moving, if there isn't enough current to float it around, how does it move? I have a 32 gallon reef and though the current is decent, it's certainly not enough to "pickup" this anemone and send it to destinations unknown. So do I just watch it and if it doesn't attach or doesn't expand much it may not like where it is?

<Mark />

Timanator
12-17-2006, 09:57 AM
Mine has been looking bad lately as well. It shrivels up on one side, then recovers just to shrivel up on the other side. BTW, mine was sold to me as a BTA too!

:(

Seahorsedreams
12-17-2006, 01:20 PM
Mark, anemones walk.... it has a foot of sorts. It doesn't require water movement to propel it.

Rob
12-19-2006, 01:27 AM
yes, that is a sebae, a rather difficult specimen to keep alive, make sure its gets decent lighting and its in the and, not on the rocks as they like to bury there foot more like a carpet (IME)

if you are new to anemomnes, this mis labeling was an unfortunate mistake, i suggest you do one of two things.
1.) take it back and get your money or a real BTA
2.) read your butt off and try to do everything ou can to keep it alive

to help you make sure you check out the anemone (http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/podcast-episodes/577-sea-anemones-podcast-episode-40-a.html) podcast

Timanator
12-24-2006, 08:08 PM
Thanks for the advice and of course, all the episodes of Talking Reef to keep us newbies in the right track!

My Sebae is doing well after alot of research. It has a sand bed near but seems to prefer to move around on the rock that it came on. I have been feeding it a small piece of table shrimp every few days and it quickly devours it!

It seems to retract all the way in to it's foot every day for atleast a few hours. Here is some pics of it now.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/timjing/Sebae2.jpg
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/timjing/Sebae2.jpg

I do have to ask though, through alot of researching, I still dont really see the difference between a Sebae and a Condi?

Timanator
12-29-2006, 10:03 AM
Hey guys, I traded that Condy in today for a GBTA, ofcourse, first thing this am I found it stuck partly in the PH. Quick disassembly and now he's in the water with just my AC50 turned on(PH off so he can hopefully attach somewhere.

:)

Rob
01-03-2007, 02:31 AM
yes, be very careful, new BTAs like to move around alot.. :)
watch the intake on the Aquaclear also, i had a gBTA get caught in one of those as well