PDA

View Full Version : [URGENT] Clown Parasite?

JeffDubya
08-13-2006, 09:56 PM
OK, so my #1 clown has had a little white blip on his chin for as long as I can remember. I assumed that this was a small contusion resulting from being chased off by the other clown and possibly hitting a rock or something.

However, this morning I notcied another one, it seems to be right on his gill line. This one looks red around the "blip" - I am assuming that is blood?

As I am leaving for vacation in only a few short days and don't want any parasite to get a foothold or worse during this time, I need suggestions on how to care for this clown. Right now it shows no ill effect from whatever this is, but IMHO there is something definitely wrong here. Of course, not knowing what it is makes it that much harder to treat.

A friend suggested a 10 minute freshwater dip, and for the long term, a cleaner shrimp.

Your suggestions and guidance are appreciated.

wildeone
08-13-2006, 10:02 PM
A friend suggested a 10 minute freshwater dip, and for the long term, a cleaner shrimp.

Your suggestions and guidance are appreciated.

Um, I don't really know, but I noticed a white mark on my clown tonight as well and I am now nervous. I can tell you that 10 minute dip may be too long. I wouldn't go any longer tan 5 and I myself would stick to 3. They can get pretty stressed in 10 minutes.

wwest
08-13-2006, 10:16 PM
What type of clowns do you two have?

i have a maroon that has alittle white speck between two of its stripes. i have seen a few like this as well.

JeffDubya
08-13-2006, 10:33 PM
True Perculas

Rob
08-13-2006, 11:51 PM
you can try the FW dip, but as wildeone noted, i would keep it to 3-5 minutes.
i have had problems with times longer than that.

cleaner shrimps or cleaner wrasses can help if it is parasites. also raising the temp to above 82 for can help in that also (anecdotally)

its possible its and infection of some kind, in which case treating with something like primafix or melafix can help with that

JeffDubya
08-13-2006, 11:57 PM
I hope it's not an infection because I will likely not be able to deal with it for over a week. Probably longer, because I can guarantee my LFS doesn't have those products. If I had to purchase one of those and keep it on hand, which one would you recommend?

Rob
08-14-2006, 12:57 AM
well both work pretty good.
AFAIK they are the same, but Primafix is stronger.

i have used Melafix with good success in the past.

bob21115
08-14-2006, 10:30 AM
Iv'e seen this on 2 of my clowns in the past. 1 was a maroon and the other a true perc.

If you listen to episode 9 of reef cast http://www.reefcast.com/episodes/reefcast9.mp3. Its during the fish of the week portion of the show that starts at 30 minutes into the show. He starts talking about the white stuff on the chin at 38:40 into the show.

Marc talks about having the same problem with one of his clowns. He was told to pull out the fish and use a pair of tweesers and pull it out of the fish. My fish had gotten better befor I got a chance to try this, mine seemed to just go away. I didn't do anything to get rid of it.

JeffDubya
08-14-2006, 11:48 AM
Marc talks about having the same problem with one of his clowns. He was told to pull out the fish and use a pair of tweesers and pull it out of the fish.

Oh dear lord, you have to be kidding.

wwest
08-14-2006, 12:15 PM
yea i dont think ill be going that route. im either going to do a copper tank or just a treatment. i dont think ill go that far :) lol

bob21115
08-14-2006, 01:40 PM
Marc aka Melev is usually right on. I would do more research myself at least email him at reefcast@gmail.com to ask some questions..

JeffDubya
08-14-2006, 03:30 PM
Well, since I can't catch him, I guess anything but letting nature take its' course right now is a bit out of the question :(

Rob
08-14-2006, 03:31 PM
i have tries that method with a damsel (when i had damsels) and in a few weeks it grew back. this is when i went for the Melafix.

that took care of the issue and it did not resurface

Rob
08-14-2006, 03:32 PM
the melafix product is reef safe, and i was successful in dosing it in my tank.
you just have to keep your skimmer off while dosing..

didnt have to catch or QT the fish

JeffDubya
08-14-2006, 04:41 PM
Well I will probably order some then today. With luck, if this little guy is still doing well when I return in a week, I will dose at that time.

Since I don't employ a skimmer at this time, that shouldn't be an issue. :)

wildeone
08-14-2006, 10:39 PM
So do you think it is coincidental that it is on the chin of both of the clowns that we are discussing or is this common?

JeffDubya
08-14-2006, 11:05 PM
Well since that area is all related to the gill structure, I don't think it is coincidental at all. I am trying to get melafix before I leave town... if I can I will be happy to report my results.

Another suggestion was that I turn up the heat a bit (this thread) and add a little garlic (!?) to the water. I actually did add the garlic, and the worst of the inflammation is actually going down a little bit. Actually, quite a bit. Wierd, huh?

Koby!
08-14-2006, 11:45 PM
i have 2 true perculas also... my male had/has this cottony thing under his chin. i noticed it about 2 weeks ago. rob reccomended the melafix or primafix or raising the temp.. so i raised the temp a little and it really reduced in size almost unoticable now..

Rob
08-14-2006, 11:47 PM
sounds like a plan...
just a tip with the garlic, is that it actually has to be consumed.. so just adding to the water probably wont help too much. soak there food with the garlic...

then again, i think garlic effects are still anecdotal, or at least lacking of scientific proof/testing

JeffDubya
08-25-2006, 02:52 AM
Well, got back from vacation Monday and after doing my water change, noticed that although visible lesions had disappeared from my little clownfish, he was not eating at all. By today he had deteriorated to the point it was quite easy to net him.

I dosed him with pimafix in a small specimen container for about 10 minutes. Then I did a freshwater dip for 3. I then mover him to a small 10 gallon aquarium where I am medicating again with pimafix.

He's not looking good. I'm totally winging it here. My hopes are not high. :(

JeffDubya
08-25-2006, 03:02 AM
...and he's gone. :( sigh...

CarmieJo
08-25-2006, 08:12 AM
Jeff,

I'm sorry you lost your little clownfish.