PDA

View Full Version : Adding order

Astrivian
08-09-2006, 08:57 PM
So i am starting a new 10 gallon FOWLR (fish only with live rock, right?) tank, and i have started the cycling process. For details see:

http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1905

I am only about a week and a half into the cycling process, but i want to make sure i get all the information i can before i start adding stuff. Oh, and yes i will wait 6 weeks for the cycling to finish and stablize before i do add anything.

My question regards the order of adding stuff. I have heard some comments about the order of fish (add terittorial fish last, for example), but what about in a more general sense? I am thinking of the following critters and things:

Live rock
Snails
Inverts (Hermit crabs, shrimp, etc, not clams)
Fish
Corals (but i wont be doing this, just asking for others :) )
Expensive inverts (e.g. clams, starfish [again, this is for others :) )

I know the live rock goes in during the cycling, but does anyone have suggestions about the others?

CarmieJo
08-09-2006, 09:21 PM
I did:
LR (came with sponges, 'shrooms & a mushroom anemone)
Hermits
Snails
Fish
Zoas
SPS Coral
Anemone

wildeone
08-09-2006, 10:49 PM
I did
LR
Inverts
Fish
Anemone

The inverts after the cycle because you will more than likely have a diatom bloom, which typically is a visual reference that the cycle is ended or near the end. Those critters help clean up that mess and you will more than likely have algae growth as well.

You just want to be sure you have control of the Nitrites and Nitrates as inverts are not very tollerant of one of those, but I can never remember if it is Nitrites or nitrates.

Astrivian
08-09-2006, 11:20 PM
Haha, hey my guess was pretty close! TY for the note on the diatom bloom, i will watch for that. They are the brownish "sludge" on the LR and the sand right?

I dont think i have anything cool on my LR, just your standard slime. You're lucky Carmie :P

CarmieJo
08-09-2006, 11:26 PM
Well it's the slime that gets the job done!