PDA

View Full Version : Euro-Reef CS100 vs RS100?

NaClFinatic
08-07-2006, 01:29 PM
I have found a good deal on a CS100 but a RS100 is slightly cheaper. Euro-Reef site says they are identical in perfomrance. So what is the difference? The picture looks like the fittings are different. Is the RS series just made to be a little cheaper option? Would the CS have any advantage maybe in cleaning or ease of use? I will buy now if there is any advandage to the CS. Thank you for any knowledge you can share.

pham411
08-07-2006, 06:02 PM
i think 1 is a recirculating and one isnt

NaClFinatic
08-07-2006, 08:16 PM
No, the RC series are the recirculating ones and are MUCH more expensive. Right now I can get the CS for a little more than the RS. The RS is the newest line and appearantly made a little cheaper to make them more affordable. The prices on the RS are pretty reasonable but I can get a good deal on a CS and just want to know if its worthwhile. I read something somewhere that someone thought their RS was a little difficult to remove the cap.

fat walrus
08-08-2006, 02:45 AM
they are identical in performance. the RS series is the version that is made for retail stores. the only difference is the cup lip, cup bottom, and the bottom piece on the main body. in the CS version....those pieces are made of gray PVC. in the RS version.....those pieces are made of black or somtimes blue acrylic.

fat walrus
08-08-2006, 02:49 AM
any differences you may see in pictures is because of gradual change made over time. any CS and RS model made during the same period will be virtualy indentical.

NaClFinatic
08-14-2006, 10:41 AM
Thanks FW. I ordered the CS anyway since it was total only $10 more.

Its nice that they are making the more affordable RS series now. I would probably not have bought a euro at the previous prices, but I would encourage everyone to check out the RS. And maybe some deals on the CS. Marine depot has cleared out everything but the CS100 at great prices because I assume they will start carying the RS.

fat walrus
08-15-2006, 03:51 AM
Thanks FW. I ordered the CS anyway since it was total only $10 more.

Its nice that they are making the more affordable RS series now. I would probably not have bought a euro at the previous prices, but I would encourage everyone to check out the RS. And maybe some deals on the CS. Marine depot has cleared out everything but the CS100 at great prices because I assume they will start carying the RS.
nice catch. the normal difference is about 50-60 dollars.

Danamck
08-17-2006, 11:11 AM
NaClFinatic -

Have you received your skimmer? Is it up and running? You're gonna love it - I have three different Euro-reef skimmers, 2 CS models and 1 RS. The earlier models used thicker acrylic, and had a collection cup that took about 25 turns of the locking ring to release. My new CS-180, even though it's the most expensive of the three, uses thinner acrtlic than my old CS-6.2. However, the collection cup on the new models is much easier to remove - just turn it a few inches and it unlocks. They all use pumps that are quiet and fairly reliable (I just had one of the three pumps fail after a few years of operation, but I have one identical pump that has been going non stop for about 5 years.)

Bottom line - you made a great choice and you're gonna love it.

NaClFinatic
08-17-2006, 12:11 PM
Cool. Can't wait to try it out. It is supposed ot arrive today. I ordered a gate valve also. Unfortunately I am not planning to start cycling my tank until December. I will have 8 months of research and planning by then so hopefully I can avoid having too many disasters.

wwest
08-17-2006, 01:03 PM
I would have to say NaCiFinatic, you are doing it excactly how i think everyone should. the research and everything, its just really cool that you are taking your time like that. very impressive

P.S. i bet it killing you isnt it? :)

NaClFinatic
08-17-2006, 01:47 PM
Yes! But the waiting is not entirely by choice. My tank will be in my basement office which doesn't exist yet and I have some other home projects to complete before I get to that.

I do have to say that the time is paying dividends. Even since I felt ready to start awhile ago, I have learned things that have changed my plans and would be costly or difficult to change after starting. I think that 3-6 months of intense research and planning should be a minimum for anyone new.

Danamck
08-17-2006, 04:14 PM
I agree. Well done! There's nothing worse than talking to people who dive into (pun intended) our hobby blindly. Or with poor advice from some of the large pet store chains. Many people fail to remember that we are responsible for the life of the livestock we decide to keep. Sounds like you are not one of those!

BTW - what size tank are you planning on setting up?

NaClFinatic
08-17-2006, 04:45 PM
90 gal with 30g sump. I think that is as small as I would be happy with. And it does not take up tons of space. And as of now I am not willing to spend more than what it will cost to setup and maintain.

Danamck
08-17-2006, 08:35 PM
That's a great size. You'll have lots of fish and coral options.

NaClFinatic
08-18-2006, 07:29 PM
I just received my CS100 for a great deal at MarineDepot. They might still have some...

Danamck
08-18-2006, 08:32 PM
Last time I checked they did.

NaClFinatic
08-18-2006, 10:06 PM
They no longer list the 80, 135, or 180 in the CS series. They all went away quick when they dropped the price. They currently only list the CS100 at well over $100 off. I am guessing they will start carrying the RS series. They do still have all the RC recirculating ones but those are much more expensive.