PDA

View Full Version : My new Favorite fish = Sixline Wrasse

bmwaaron
08-05-2006, 09:51 AM
OK last night I added a Sixline wrasse, He did 2 things that I have heard he can sometimes do and that I wanted to see, The first thing is last night he spun a little cocoon. The second thing is he is eating my flatworms :D
He has quickly earned my favorite fish title. I love them all but he is eating my flatworms that I have been fighting for weeks now.

Anyone ever seen the coccon thing? How do they do it, I just know it was around him last night when I checked.

Amphibious
08-05-2006, 10:38 AM
They secrete excess slim. Supposed to protect them from predators.

JeffDubya
08-05-2006, 02:46 PM
Never heard of the cocoon thing... but do you feel younger? :D

The Sixline Wrasse has always been one of my favorite fish. There's a guy in our local club who has one that is THREE INCHES LONG! It's simply gargantuan for this fish!

I'm actually looking forward to adding one to my tank this afternoon.

Rob
08-05-2006, 04:08 PM
i love my sixline, wish i could have more.. :)
just wish mine would eat flatworms.. :(

bmwaaron
08-05-2006, 04:50 PM
Rob yours wont eat flatworms? I didnt know you had flatworms to eat ;)

I saw mine eat 2 last night and 2 this morning. I still have allot on the glass but I dont expect them to be gone all in one day :)

Rob
08-05-2006, 04:55 PM
yep, i have been battling them for some time now..
and now, darn sixline wont ouch them from what i can see

bmwaaron
08-05-2006, 07:22 PM
which ones do you have rob? I have the small cream color ones, they really dont bother coral from what I hear but they are just ugly all over the glass. They are so small I cant see them in the sand or on the rocks.

Rob
08-06-2006, 04:00 PM
i have the little red planaria worms, sam here, they dont bother much, but they are ugly to look at, and when they get out of control, they start covering corals

Danamck
08-06-2006, 04:14 PM
When I first switch my 240 from coral skeletons to live rock last year (I'm very old school!), my six-line was the only fish who didn't make the transition. On the second day, I found him stuck in a hole in the live rock. He was still alive. It took me over one hour to get him out. I actually had to use a piece of airline tubing to nudge him forward, while I gently pulled on his head. Trust me - this was not a fun experience. Finally I was able to free him, and him swam off - never to be seen from again. It was a real shame, because he seemed the happiest of my fish when I switched to live rock. Since then, I have turned the 240 into a mixed reef, and 3 weeks ago added another six line. IMO, when you consider how hardy they tend to be, their reasonable price, and their beauty - this fish is a true marine bargain!

vanmo92
08-07-2006, 06:54 PM
Its true. I love my 6-line too.

JeffDubya
08-07-2006, 06:59 PM
My new little guy ate for the first time today. He's still pretty shy, but acclimating well...

kj_yoda
08-07-2006, 09:36 PM
I got a six line a week and a half ago and he hides a lot in my tank. great little fish,very cool.

CarmieJo
08-07-2006, 10:14 PM
I love mine too. Watch their eyes move and see how the stripes adjust. I've also seen mine acting as a cleaner to my maroon clown. The clown still chases the sixline away from the anemone!

kj_yoda
08-07-2006, 10:16 PM
right now mine is the only fish in the tank.

JayBeDriften
08-10-2006, 12:51 AM
I love the look of the Six Line Wrasse and I understand that they have some benefits in the aquarium especially with clams but I cannot remember what it is off hand. I also have not been able to find any within the local pet stores around New York. Do they reproduce within aquariums and would anyone have any spare guys that they would be willing to let me adopt?

Danamck
08-10-2006, 02:10 AM
That's really strange not being able to find any. All the fish stores in my area have lots of them on a regular basis, usually for around $15.

I've never read about or seen any tank bred six-lines at any LFS.

JayBeDriften
08-10-2006, 03:23 AM
Leave it to the high prices of new york Brick and Mortar business to not carry the less expensive items. :-)

CarmieJo
08-10-2006, 09:29 PM
I've never heard of them being tank raised either. They are usually about $10-12 here in NC.

cabbagehead
08-13-2006, 06:21 PM
Does anyone know if it is possible to have more than one six-line in a 135g reef tank?

Danamck
08-13-2006, 08:00 PM
You could, IMO, but they tend to be a little aggressive, so it would be best if they were introduced at the same time.

Rob
08-13-2006, 08:09 PM
i agree...
with a tank that large you "might" be able too.. but then general recommendation is one per tank.

sailfin
08-13-2006, 10:49 PM
Hi!

Glad to see everyone loves their 6 lines wrasse. It's the next fish I am planning to purchase. Is it a good community fish? My tank is very peaceful (1 saiflin, 2 clowns, 1 yellow wrasse and 1 hippo tang)

Will it be ok? I don't want to add an aggressive fish in my tank. I do have a handicapped (one eye) hippo tang and I don't want to cause the little guy more stress.

JeffDubya
08-13-2006, 10:53 PM
Man my sixline wrasse needs to poop! It's gut is totally swollen... I am actually getting a little nervous about it...

Danamck
08-13-2006, 11:04 PM
sailfin - I think they are a great fish for a peacefull tank - but they do have "attitude" and are very bold. I suppose if they grew large they would be terrors, but can you imaging how beautiful they would be?

JeffDubya - did he eat something he shouldn't have?!?

PSH
08-13-2006, 11:04 PM
My 6 line is fairly aggressive. I have it in a tank with my maroon clown and they fight all the time. I think the 6 line is jealous that the clown still has both of his eyes. Also they are jumpers so make sure you have your tank covered. Oh and now my pod population is nill. Haven't seen many bristle worms lately either. Still a cool fish and a great find for $5 because of his missing eye.

Haha I have to laugh because the word "has" highlights as hair algae.:rotfl:

JeffDubya
08-13-2006, 11:23 PM
sailfin - I think they are a great fish for a peacefull tank - but they do have "attitude" and are very bold. I suppose if they grew large they would be terrors, but can you imaging how beautiful they would be?

I have mentioned this previously, but a buddy of mine has one that is at least 3 in long. And yes, it's an even more beautiful fish at that size it's amazing.

JeffDubya - did he eat something he shouldn't have?!?

Shouldn't have? No... but I have a feeling my bristleworm population is getting decimated. Only the big ones seem to remain.

CarmieJo
08-14-2006, 10:39 PM
Mine's belly is fat all the time. I just chalk it up to his constant appetite!

FishLips
09-02-2007, 01:33 AM
How does the six line inneract with a mandarin. I have a female/male marron clown and big fat manadaran have had them for years

salt-rookie
09-02-2007, 08:01 AM
I love the way they dart in and out of the rocks! They look like kamakazi dive bombers! They are very colorful, active and the Flastworm thing DOES make them adorable!

CarmieJo
09-02-2007, 08:41 AM
Hi Fishlips and :welcome: to TR.

You will have to have a big enough refugium to support pod production for both. Although sixlines eat everything they love pods!

lReef lKeeper
09-02-2007, 12:28 PM
How does the six line inneract with a mandarin. I have a female/male marron clown and big fat manadaran have had them for years

you usually can not keep these 2 fish in the same tank. most of the time the sixline will kil the mandarin because it sees the mandarin as a competitor for the same foods. the sixline has even been known to peck out the eyes of the mandarin.

BTW ... welcome to TR.

FishLips
09-02-2007, 03:02 PM
Tanks for the input. I will skip the six line since i would hate to see my mandarian trying to swim with a walking cane.

xtmreef
01-21-2008, 03:34 PM
I've had my sixline for about 3 years now.. I would say he is about 3" long and is bigger than my Anthias! He hasn't caused any troubles since I bought him, and he's as active as a Tang without the big tank requirement! If you have strong actinic lighting, you can see his lines have a strong violet-ish florescence.. it's a beautiful fish.

The only drawback that I see with keeping him is the fact that I probably can't add any other wrasse. I'd love to have a school of Yellow Coris Wrasse but this sixline will most likely beat em up :D