PDA

View Full Version : Please explain Kalk Reactors

m8298
08-04-2006, 08:11 PM
Aside from mixing the lime constantly, what does a kalk reactor do? How do you determine when to add lime?

V
08-05-2006, 01:27 AM
i think u are mixing up a Ca reactor with kalkwasser in which the only reaction to take place is in the inital mixing of the kalk/lime water! then we drip, is this what your refering to?

Rob
08-05-2006, 04:00 PM
no..
a kalk reactor (http://www.saltycritter.com/kalk-reactors/geo-kalk-reactors.htm), also known as a neilson reactor

a kalk reactor will keep the limewater mixed at a more saturated rate. meaning it will have more dissolved kalk powder in the water mixture, making the "dose" more potent and effective.

i have never used one, so the specifics i cant explain.

V
08-05-2006, 05:41 PM
yeah i forgot about the term neilson.
do people actually buy these, & worst still do they actually pay those prices! u can achieve the same results with floating styro ontop your mixure, & having a sealed lid on your container replacing air when needed!
besides an nice shell & twin pickups thats all these fancy units do anyways! i love Geo gear, but seriously,the money u start paying for a unit like this your on way to the long term solution of a CA reactor!
i love the constant use of the coined phrase "reactor" people use it for everything!
kalk satuation reaction happens once then its a downward slope from there! in my humble opinion i belive slightly mis-used phrase in this case! ;)

Reefbaby
08-18-2006, 06:12 PM
no..
a kalk reactor (http://www.saltycritter.com/kalk-reactors/geo-kalk-reactors.htm), also known as a neilson reactor

rob - i tried to fix the link, but no good???

CarmieJo
08-18-2006, 11:10 PM
Hi Christi!

:welcome: back! I's good to see you.

Reefbaby
08-19-2006, 04:15 AM
Thanks Carmie! It's great to be back!

Do any of you actually know of Kalkwasser Reactors that can handle a larger tank like mine? (500g) Most of them I've seen can only handle medium-sized tanks. I love the benefits of Kalkwasser, but I just can't see it being very practical for a larger tank, seeing as how the Kalkwasser has to be the top-off water.
What I DO like about the Kalkwasser "Reactor" vs. just dosing Kalkwasser is that you can kind of fill up the chamber with Calcium Hydroxide and it can take care of things for a longer period of time....uigh...

V
08-20-2006, 07:55 AM
yeah but its like 24 hour room service! u want to be able to maximise exposure in the form the corals can use on request!
a Ca reactor with twin topoff with Kalk & Ro water would be better in the capacity side for your tank RB. thats what id do anyways! >>for volume, long term solutions are paramount! kalk, no matter which form has a limited usable life within a vessile, let alone in the tanks! running supplimentry supply is becoming the main stream normal over the last few years! trends by the masses tend to be reliable with todays reefing exposure!