PDA

View Full Version : can you glue live rock?

Astrivian
07-30-2006, 12:30 PM
Can you glue live rock? I have seen some underwater glues advertised for coral but i am not sure if they are safe for rock slime.

NaClFinatic
07-30-2006, 02:57 PM
I think I've heard that's doable. If possible, its certainly what I intend to do to have a nice stable structure without zip ties or something similar. Can anyone confirm?

wwest
07-30-2006, 03:10 PM
i Personaly just use superglue gel. its cheap and you can find it everywhere. and you can add rock later. and it will still stick under water. the reason i like superglue gel is because its easy to pull off later but stronge enuff to hold the rock in place. all of my rocks are just stacked. if you wanted to get more creative i would say super glue wouldnt work. now there is this stuff in a tube that is made for glueing rocks together underwater. but i heard it takes alot of it and its like $15 a tube. ill try and find the link for you.

wwest
07-30-2006, 03:15 PM
here is the link, its only $10 but with shipping i am sure it would ber over $15.

Marine Depot, Two Little Fishies Epoxy (http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=TL1613)

Raggamuffin
07-30-2006, 09:10 PM
ever thought about drilling holes in the rock and useing solid plexy rods to hold it together? like a big connex :D

fat walrus
07-30-2006, 09:23 PM
bigger pieces of rocks are done with 2-part expoxy putty.

Rob
07-30-2006, 09:36 PM
yes, you can use either, i personally dont use anything, and its been a good call on my part. as i have occasionally had to move rocks and things around.

if you do, use the epoxy as noted, as you will need a whole tube of superglue gel for one rock.. maybe a little exaggerated, but the epoxy will go alot farther.. more cost effective, and stronger IMO

wwest
07-30-2006, 09:36 PM
if you used plexy rods could you easily retreave the rock out of your tank in need to attach a frag to it?

Rob
07-30-2006, 09:38 PM
if you used plexy rods could you easily retreave the rock out of your tank in need to attach a frag to it?
yes, as long as they are angled right.. would take a lot of planning

fat walrus
07-30-2006, 09:43 PM
i have never attached live rocks to each other. i just make sure it is well balanced and sturdy.

kj_yoda
07-30-2006, 10:15 PM
all my rocks are stacked, but of course, occasionally, there will be collapses. Guess it is ime to redecorate.

PSH
07-31-2006, 01:11 AM
I am always moving my rocks. Or I will get a new coral and have to swap things around to get it to fit. Gluing is just not an option for me. Of course rocks slides happen and it takes most of a day to put things back. :grrr!:

NaClFinatic
07-31-2006, 10:02 AM
Some folks (like amphibious) keep their rock off the sand bed to get flow. I guess others just put it into the sand? I was thinking about placing some base rock before putting in sand to have a nice stable base that hopefully wouldn't get shifted around much. I would still make sure to have good flow around but don't have to worry about the sand getting stale underneath the rock. Good or bad idea?

wildeone
07-31-2006, 01:52 PM
I think as long as you have flow around the rock you will be OK. I put my rok in the center of my tank (fromt to back) so I could generate flow behind it. I have a good mix of powerheads that come on and off at various time, thus throwing flow into the rock as well.

DJGonzo69
08-08-2006, 04:38 PM
I glued my base rock to form an arch using epoxy. You just have to make sure that the epoxy is cured before putting in your tank. It's been about 6 months now & the base rock & the glue in between the rocks have corraline algae. so you can't even tell that the rocks have been glued together. The only downside is you can't re-arrange your aquascape unless you break the rocks apart.

JeffDubya
08-08-2006, 05:15 PM
Actually, there is a two part marine epoxy that cures underwater...