PDA

View Full Version : New Tank Setup

js38311
07-27-2006, 04:55 AM
Hi,

I have a couple of specific questions regarding the mechanics of setting up a new tank. I have read many articles and listened to most of the podcasts but have yet to come across this in as much detail.

What I'll do is just give a basic outline of how I plan to proceed, and perhaps I could get some feedback re potential problems with my proposed method that I have not forseen. So here it goes.

I'm planning on setting up a 70 gallon tank, with a hang-on style skimmer (no sump/refugium) for a reef system with a DSB. As stated, my immediate concern at this point is the actual mechanics of setup, but any other comments are welcome. This is what I plan to do step-by-step:

1. Install new tank
2. Rinse with tap water and syphon off to clean tank
3. Add about 2/3 (50 galons or so) of RO water
4. Add sufficient Instant Ocean and mix with power head and heat to 80F. Adjust SG as needed.
5. Add 100 lbs live sand (Carib Sea Aragonite-Alive Sand, about 0.5 - 1.5mm grain size) for a 5-6 inch DSB (Is this too much/not enough, should I rinse this particular product?)
6. Allow sand to settle
7. At this point I would then mix up another 10 gallons of salt water to be ready to add to aquarium and put it aside
8. Go to LFS and pickup 100 lbs live rock (I beleive it would be cured) (too much, not enough?)
9. Add live rock and position directly on the sand bed
10. Complete filling aquarium with water that was put aside
11. Drop in a raw table shrimp and let the cycle begin

That's the plan. What does everyone think? Is there another way I should consider?

I also have a few questions about specific skimmers, power heads, heaters, etc, but that can wait for another post. Thanks.

Jeff

V
07-27-2006, 05:49 AM
1. Install new tank
2. Rinse with tap water and syphon off to clean tank
3. Add about 2/3 (50 galons or so) of RO water
4. Add sufficient Instant Ocean and mix with power head and heat to 80F. Adjust SG as needed.

id add the live sand first, then use the plastic sheet trick to cut down of the snowstorm( others have done it here with great success) u lay the plastic down over your sand & fill as normal! adding your sand first can save stuffing around latter, it will be quicker in the long run anyways in my opinion!

5. Add 100 lbs live sand (Carib Sea Aragonite-Alive Sand, about 0.5 - 1.5mm grain size) for a 5-6 inch DSB (Is this too much/not enough, should I rinse this particular product?)

a good combo of grain size works, what ur aiming for would be ok!

7. At this point I would then mix up another 10 gallons of salt water to be ready to add to aquarium and put it aside
8. Go to LFS and pickup 100 lbs live rock (I beleive it would be cured) (too much, not enough?)

u say 70gal tank! this is all good! but 70 gal doesn't really tell much personally!
u could have 70gal in a tall thin tank for all i know! live rock takes up some space! all pieces are not created equal! if u can, could u give tank dimensions instead! i dont know the american way of things, 70gal could indeed be a standard size tank that they sell! but 4 us down under i could call the fridge a 70gal with very little usable space!

9. Add live rock and position directly on the sand bed
10. Complete filling aquarium with water that was put aside
11. Drop in a raw table shrimp and let the cycle begin

if everythings live to begin with u should experience a cycle but with shorter phaze! personally i would despense with the shrimp, i think just moving the stuff round is enough to cause it to cycle. everytime u expose any water living microbe to air it has an oxidising effect, compond that with a total move & the duration its exposed, id say its enough! also look into Amps PVC stumps for the live sand! it props the LR up just enough for water circulation & prevents excess detitus buildups that would other wise occur

That's the plan. What does everyone think? Is there another way I should consider?

I also have a few questions about specific skimmers, power heads, heaters, etc, but that can wait for another post. Thanks.

Jeff

bring them on when ur satisfied everyone has answered your question here

V
07-27-2006, 05:55 AM
welcome to by the way JS, sorry, been a really long day for me!

js38311
07-27-2006, 11:03 AM
It's an Oceanic Systems tank that is 36.5" x 18.5" x 24". I am almost sure of these dimensions, but it could off by a 1/2 inch here and there.

Rob
07-27-2006, 02:47 PM
yep, sound slike a good start, and i will support the commend Veriann made.

only other possible recommendation would be, if you want to cut some costs abit, so a mix of dead base rock, and LR, this will help out a lot with the cost of the rock, and it wont effect the end product

gwen_o_lyn
07-27-2006, 06:29 PM
Welcome to TR!

You may want to rethink having a 70g tank without a sump. It can be done, but may not be easy. I can see problems with skimming on a tank this size. HOB skimmers aren't very efficient.

Keep asking questions.

What kinda livestock you thinkin?

fat walrus
07-27-2006, 07:00 PM
i agree with gwen. sumps gives you more and better options.

CarmieJo
07-27-2006, 08:49 PM
Jeff,

:welcome: to TR.

I agree with Veriann's advice.

Amphibious
07-28-2006, 09:21 AM
http://www.theculturedreef.com/welcome.gif to Talking Reef Community and Podcast, js38311!

There's not much I can add that veriann and Gwen haven't already said, so, I'll just concur with them.

V
07-28-2006, 09:29 AM
how bout a pic or link to your niffty LR stump pegs Amp for easy reference for the noob!:p

Amphibious
07-28-2006, 09:45 AM
He can probably learn a bit by reading my thread on the 135 gal. Here is the link - http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/showthread.php?t=412

Dick

V
07-28-2006, 03:54 PM
i could & do always learn from your posts too Amp! not just for noobs i would imagine! but im one of your biggest fans . with a tollerence for an old geeza like no other! u are my american idol!
is that enough smoke blown up your @ss my friend>?

Amphibious
07-28-2006, 05:19 PM
Thanks V! I have to say you are the premier smoke blower! American Idol??? Is it possible that I, the "old geeza" of Tr, could possibly be a TEEN IDOL??? Oh, wait a minute, it's gone to my head. That's a different American Idol show. Oh well, I'll just have to bow before you V and say thanks! But, you know some of your responses are way over my head. So, the learning goes both ways. I guess that makes you my "Aussie Idol". Geeeze, you don't suppose people will get the wrong idea about you and me, do you??? :rotfl: I figured I'd better add the little LMAO guy to ease everyone suspicions.

wwest
07-28-2006, 05:26 PM
:no: .................................................. ..:rotfl:

fat walrus
07-29-2006, 03:18 AM
i could & do always learn from your posts too Amp! not just for noobs i would imagine! but im one of your biggest fans . with a tollerence for an old geeza like no other! u are my american idol!
is that enough smoke blown up your @ss my friend>?

didn't know aussies had so much smoke to blow until i encountered you. :eek:

V
07-29-2006, 06:00 AM
maybe> u know its my island so i can speak for everyone:p

js38311
07-29-2006, 08:26 PM
Everyone,

OK, if the Remora Pro wouldn't be enough for a 70 gal tank, then what about 2? It's not about cost, so much as the lack of space for a sump.

js38311
07-29-2006, 08:55 PM
As far as livestock, I have a few ideas. Here they are.

Fish:
Flame Angel
Yellow Tang
Pair of Maroon Clowns
I was also thinking of getting 7 Green Chromis Damsels so they will school.
I also like the longnose butterfly

Coral/Inverts:
I am really open to corals at this point. Need more research.
Clams. Not sure which, but to start I want the hardiest species.
An amazing green carpet anemone I saw at my LFS.

I realize that it is probably way too much fish for this tank, especially without a sump. So the Damsels would be first to go, or at least cut them back to 2. To be safe I'll probably start with the single Flame Angel, wait a while, then pick up a pair of the Maroon Clowns.

fat walrus
07-30-2006, 11:40 PM
the flame angel might be a concern for that clam. you might want to rethink that long nose butterfly.

gwen_o_lyn
07-31-2006, 12:04 AM
I've read that chromis don't school once they are older. Also it seems when people buy chromis, they just slowly die off, one by one.

Be patient on getting an anemone. Best to have an established tank, running at least a year. Carpet anemones eat fish once they get a decent size. Be cautious and do more reading to see if you really want an anemone in your tank.

What kind of lighting do you have in mind?