PDA

View Full Version : Hot Tips: Aiptasia Control

Rob
07-23-2006, 01:30 PM
This month, our readers discuss how they keep that dreaded pest, Aiptasia, under control. More... (http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2005/4/tips)

fat walrus
07-24-2006, 10:35 PM
nobody mentioned the copper wire technique.

CarmieJo
07-24-2006, 10:38 PM
nobody mentioned the copper wire technique.
I don't know it... Please enlighten me oh great Walrus.

gwen_o_lyn
07-24-2006, 10:39 PM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_2_46v.gif to the almighty Mr Blubber, The Great!!

fat walrus
07-24-2006, 10:43 PM
in the old days, some people would cut a piece of bare copper wire and stab the aiptasia with it. some even left the wire in place overnight.

CarmieJo
07-24-2006, 10:45 PM
Did it work? Did it leach and kill your other inverts?

fat walrus
07-24-2006, 10:52 PM
it worked. you use copper absorbant in the tank to take up any copper that leached out. we just made sure that the wire did not touch anything else. the biggest problem was keeping track of the different tiny strands of wire.

wildeone
07-24-2006, 11:33 PM
The peppermint shrimp I put in on Thursday of last week have taken care of my Aiptasia, at least the one that I have seen in the tank. I am very happy with that solution!

Amphibious
07-25-2006, 09:42 AM
I use Joe's Juice. It's very efective, doesn't harm corals and it's effect is immediate. By the amount I sell, other's experiences are the same. It's reef safe, too.

Dick

wildeone
08-07-2006, 10:42 PM
I will hit the LFS and grab some....

DJGonzo69
08-08-2006, 12:34 PM
oh yeah the good ole Joes Juice. I like this product. If I'm out I use freshly squeezed lemon juice. I inject it right where the pest lives.

Another thing I do, but I'm sure it's not recomended is to nuke the rock in the microwave. I had a small piece of rock that had the pest, but as soon as I took it out of the water I lost where it was. So I just nuked the bastard.

JeffDubya
08-08-2006, 01:20 PM
I'm thinking microwaving probably would sterilize the rock...

JustDavidP
08-08-2006, 04:52 PM
While the copper wire trick would work (I've done it before in FO tanks), it is not the safest way to go. There are a lot of horror stories of copper remaining in the tank and wiping out other inverts. From what I understand, it doesn't take long for the copper to get into the silicone, rock and other porous surfaces.

D

m8298
08-08-2006, 07:29 PM
You can carefully inject the slurry from your kalk. I've never tried it but I know several people who do it.

JeffDubya
08-11-2006, 12:00 PM
So will joes juice harm zoos?

Amphibious
08-11-2006, 12:28 PM
While the copper wire trick would work (I've done it before in FO tanks), it is not the safest way to go. There are a lot of horror stories of copper remaining in the tank and wiping out other inverts.True. Not the safest way to go when dealing in hundreds of dollars worth of livestock.

You can carefully inject the slurry from your kalk. I've never tried it but I know several people who do it.This works but is a pain in the butt because Aptasia do not set still for being injected. Plus they are not always in a spot conducive to injecting.

So will joes juice harm zoos?I can't say that I've ever targeted Zoas and that's the only way of knowing for sure. I've used Joe's Juice for about four years with great success. In those many applications some eventually spills unto corals, Zoas, Xenia and other things. I've never witnessed any adverse reaction from the hapless victim of an over shoot or spillover. So, I think the answer to your question is no.

Considering the number of customers buying JJ from us, I'd have to say they are very happy with the results. I've not had one complaint.

JeffDubya
08-11-2006, 01:02 PM
I can't say that I've ever targeted Zoas and that's the only way of knowing for sure. I've used Joe's Juice for about four years with great success. In those many applications some eventually spills unto corals, Zoas, Xenia and other things. I've never witnessed any adverse reaction from the hapless victim of an over shoot or spillover. So, I think the answer to your question is no.

Considering the number of customers buying JJ from us, I'd have to say they are very happy with the results. I've not had one complaint.

I ask because I have discovered two small Aiptasia anemones, both surrounded by healthy polyp poplulations... don't want to harm them...

Amphibious
08-11-2006, 04:50 PM
Joe's Juice comes with a syringe and plastic tip applicator to target the anemone. I wouldn't hesitate to use it where you indicate. What you are doing is feeding the anemone not injecting it. They don't recoil away from JJ unless you jab them with the applicator. They are toast in about 15 minutes.

JeffDubya
08-11-2006, 05:00 PM
Sweet. This is something I had seen and was planning on getting - it's nice having the confidence of use based in testimonials from other aquarists I trust. Thanks...

kj_yoda
08-11-2006, 08:39 PM
what about Aptasia's ugly cousin...the Majano (sp?) Anemone?

they are all over my aunt's tank and pepermint shimp don't eat it.

Amphibious
08-11-2006, 10:34 PM
Majano anemones are not a problem for Joe's Juice. It toasts them, too.

A word of caution. Since Joe's Juice is formulated to kill Aptasia and Majano anemonies, you will want to take every precaution not to get any on your prise Rose Bubble tip or anyother keeper anemone. I have no experience with accidental feeding of prise anemones. Obviously you would use caution around them.

m8298
08-12-2006, 11:54 AM
I have heard of people putting brine or mysis shrimp together with lime slurry and feeding them too. I would think you would need to be really careful though.

Amphibious
08-12-2006, 12:32 PM
I've never heard of any success using this method. The lime slurry aroma/flavor would so overpower the shrimp aroma/flavor that the offending anemone would retreat into it's self. I have my doubts on this one.

It amazes me how inventive one gets trying to avoid spending about $10 on a product that has a known positive track record in eliminating Aptasia and Majano anemonies. Joe's Juice will, "Git-r-done" promptly.

JeffDubya
08-12-2006, 01:50 PM
OK... so here's a stupid newbie question if I ever heard one.

So, EVERY SINGLE PERSON I have interacted with who uses this "Joes Juice" product says it works, it works quickly and it works without harming anything except the Aiptasia.

That being said, why are we even continuing this discussion?

Any other method seems to be hit or miss, with potential danger to livestock.

Amphibious
08-12-2006, 02:20 PM
So, EVERY SINGLE PERSON I have interacted with who uses this "Joes Juice" product says it works, it works quickly and it works without harming anything except the Aiptasia.

That being said, why are we even continuing this discussion?

Any other method seems to be hit or miss, with potential danger to livestock.Excellent question! You'll notice I keep bringing us back on track. Joe's Juice is the sure fire cure for easy elimination of Aptasia and Majano Anemones.