PDA

View Full Version : New to TR

Stevej72
07-21-2006, 10:09 PM
Well this is my first post here. I have a 24g Nano Cube with 72 watts of PC lighting, about 400 GPH flow, 22 lbs of live rock 32 lbs live sand (about 2" - 3") No mec. filtration. Livestock is Zoos, Shrooms, Candy Cane, GSP, Frogspawn and 2 unknown corals. a Watchman Goby, a neon goby, Misc. cleanup crew.

I have 3 harry mushrooms that hitch hiked with some yellow polyps. The mushrooms were bleached white with just a hint of green in them. They moved off the polyp live rock with in a day or two of being in the tank but not realy to a brighter spot. If I shift the LR that they are on they move back to where they were. They have been in the tank for about a month and seem to be eating But no color is coming back. what can I do to help hem along?

wwest
07-21-2006, 10:20 PM
Welcome to Talking Reef.

Nice tank :)

gwen_o_lyn
07-21-2006, 10:32 PM
Nice lookin cube!

:welcome: to TR Steve!!

I'm not familar with that type of mushroom, but I'm sure someone will pipe in here. :)

fat walrus
07-21-2006, 10:34 PM
welcome, Stevej72!
nice cube.

V
07-21-2006, 10:39 PM
hey steve, welcome to TR,
i dont know a real lot about hairy mrooms, but i'll post a link (http://www.garf.org/news27p2.html) to what i do know its not current though, others should be able to help u out

Rob
07-21-2006, 10:55 PM
:welcome: to TR

for the shrooms, the best thing is to keep them lit, and fed.
many hairy shrooms will take small bits of meaty foods. try clam, squid, shrimp anything like that. cut small pieces and spot feed them. make sure they eat it and nothing steals the food.
you can also help them feed by adding phytoplankon, or something like cyclopeeze, oyster eggs, or golden pearls.
point is make sure they eat. most healthy shrooms can get most of there nutrients from the water and from there zooxanthelle, with out hat symbiotic algae you need to help them along

pham411
07-22-2006, 12:19 AM
ola, welcome

CarmieJo
07-22-2006, 11:44 AM
Hi Steve,

:welcome: to TR

Amphibious
07-22-2006, 04:39 PM
http://www.theculturedreef.com/welcome.gif to Talking Reef Forum and Podcast, stevej72!

It's my opinion that if your shrooms were bleached when you got them and you put them in a bright spot in the tank to get them to color up and they migrated to a darker place, it's very possible they bleached because of too much light in the first place. Does that make any sense?

My shrooms do best in moderate to low light. It's not always bright light that make corals color up. I have several corals that were doing okay up under 175W 10K bulbs but just didn't seem as colorful as I thought they should be. In rearranging my tank one day, to make room for more frags, I lowered them to slightly more subdued lighting and WALLA the color popped out in a few days. These were stonys granted but my shrooms have done the same.

Hope this helps.

Dick

wildeone
07-22-2006, 05:17 PM
Welcome to TR Steve.....

Stevej72
07-22-2006, 05:56 PM
Thanks for all the welcomes and the info on the shrooms.
Amph. Yea that does make sense Thanks.
Rob Thanks and I love the podcasts and the site.