PDA

View Full Version : Moisture inside heater (safe?)

NaClFinatic
07-14-2006, 11:00 PM
I have an old "Aqua 1000" 100 watt submersible heater made by Tetra. It has some condensation in it. I was wondering if this is normal to have a little mousture or probably OK or if it should not be used? I would only plan to use it to warm up some water for a water change or maybe a quarrentine tank.

fat walrus
07-14-2006, 11:08 PM
if it shows moisture, that means that the vaccum seal has been breached. in most cases, it can be can still be used, but it is only a matter of time before the elements inside corrode, or cause a short, or allow stray voltage into the aquarium. get a new heater soon if you can.

V
07-15-2006, 12:27 AM
i agree.
does it have an earth plug?

wwest
07-15-2006, 01:17 AM
my personal opinion is to change the heater. i lost my last freshwater tank because of the heater breaking. a long story short went on vacation for a week came back all fish froze, the last thing i remembered about looking at the heater was that there was moister in it. for something that cost as much as a heater i would hate to loose how much i have in my live stock. i would buy a new one before its to late.

fat walrus
07-15-2006, 01:28 AM
i agree.
does it have an earth plug?
we call it a ground plug, but same idea. come to think of it, what glass heater comes with a ground/earth plug?

V
07-15-2006, 01:45 AM
we call it a ground plug, but same idea. come to think of it, what glass heater comes with a ground/earth plug?

thats a great spot blubber, i had to check mine because i thought they did, as it turns out they dont, i also did a quick scout online & its a much of a muchness with the info .eg> All Schego titanium heating elements are grounded and correspond to the high safety standard of the VDE (association of German electrical engineers). but they still possess live wire pins or plug with no third for grounding!

ive got a theroy but i know someone knows the answer for sure! anyone who's had dealings with the sparkies should know!

fat walrus
07-15-2006, 01:50 AM
thats a great spot blubber, i had to check mine because i thought they did, as it turns out they dont, i also did a quick scout online & its a much of a muchness with the info .eg> All Schego titanium heating elements are grounded and correspond to the high safety standard of the VDE (association of German electrical engineers). but they still possess live wire pins or plug with no third for grounding!

ive got a theroy but i know someone knows the answer for sure! anyone who's had dealings with the sparkies should know!

i just can't recall a glass heater with a ground plug. anyone?

CarmieJo
07-15-2006, 11:27 AM
Not me, neither the old HOB style or submersible.

Rob
07-16-2006, 12:13 AM
me either, i have used MANY types and brands, glass, plastic, titanium, HOB, submersible, can't think of any with a ground..

V
07-16-2006, 12:18 AM
lol, theres got to be a reason for it! where's wildman, he has something to with the sparkie industries!

fat walrus
07-16-2006, 12:57 AM
okay. i went to my lfs today and checked out ALL the normal heaters. 14 lines, and not a single ground plug, even UL Listed ones, or CE for canada.

V
07-16-2006, 01:31 AM
leg work son, its all about the leg work. did u wear your nike headband on the trip to slimhood!

fat walrus
07-16-2006, 01:54 AM
son??????? the master is still in control!

V
07-16-2006, 02:00 AM
lol, yeah sausage, i should respect my elders

fat walrus
07-16-2006, 02:05 AM
lol, yeah sausage, i should respect my elders
and for any lady reading this, i'm just barely older than veriann who will turn 21 this year. :D

V
07-16-2006, 03:01 AM
yeah, its true, i can vouch for that!