PDA

View Full Version : My pump died :(

gwen_o_lyn
07-12-2006, 07:10 PM
Just came home from work to find my Dolphin DP-650 which is hooked into my ER just died. The pump has been causing problems and I could tell my skimmer wasn't as efficient. ER suggested I run it through vinegar/water and I did just as they suggested. Soak one day, and let it run the next day. Sometimes I couldn't even get it to run when I plugged it in- had to tinker with it.

:roll:

Got this pic from the ER site... I can't even pull out the impeller. It's all fried up! Had it almost 2 years.

http://www.euro-reef.com/Pump_Service_Photo_rama/images/image007.jpg

I am waiting to hear back from MD about a replacement and they are going to see if they can get it drop shipped from ER.

For now I may hook up the Remora on the big tank.

fat walrus
07-12-2006, 07:19 PM
that type of failure seems to more common with people who use Kalk.

pham411
07-12-2006, 07:26 PM
doh!!!!!!!!!!!!

gwen_o_lyn
07-12-2006, 07:34 PM
that type of failure seems to more common with people who use Kalk.

yeah I'm guilty of kalking it up in my tank!! And I drip it within inches of my ER!! :eek:

I just thought of something- do u think a Mag7 would work for a temp replacement?? hmmmm

I think I have the ER CS6-1? I would have to look it up.

fat walrus
07-12-2006, 07:39 PM
yeah I'm guilty of kalking it up in my tank!! And I drip it within inches of my ER!! :eek:

I just thought of something- do u think a Mag7 would work for a temp replacement?? hmmmm

I think I have the ER CS6-1? I would have to look it up.
a cs6-1 is six inch diameter and 20 inches tall.
a mag7 might do something, but without the needlewheel...........who know?

gwen_o_lyn
07-12-2006, 07:52 PM
yeah I don't think it will work since I have nothing to suck the air in. So I hooked up the AquaC in the mean time :)

Scott
07-13-2006, 06:43 PM
yeah I don't think it will work since I have nothing to suck the air in. So I hooked up the AquaC in the mean time :)

How's that working out on your big tank? Is it able to skim anything?

gwen_o_lyn
07-13-2006, 08:30 PM
How's that working out on your big tank? Is it able to skim anything?

yeah its doing pretty good actually. Have one inch after 24 hours and skimming as wet as possible.

Scott
07-14-2006, 01:29 PM
yeah its doing pretty good actually. Have one inch after 24 hours and skimming as wet as possible.

Boy...that's great! Good to know it can actually handle a tank that size to a point.

gwen_o_lyn
07-14-2006, 06:19 PM
to a point are the key words. I expect more skimmate from a 90g system over the 12g, but I would doubt it would work over the long run!

I just ordered a new pump from Premium Aquatics and plugged our site too. That little notes section when u order is always good for something :)

V
07-14-2006, 06:49 PM
what is the actual problem Q?
are u getting calcium buildup under the needle wheel on the drive pole, or is it affecting the rotation on the Nwheel itself.? is the drive pole ceramic or plastic?

in the skimmer chamber did u notice the bubble size increase first. & does the company take them back for repairs or exchange, cause u haven't had this one for very long yeah. & finally does adding any additives to the tank viod any warrenties?
what a mouthful, sausage for all the questions

fat walrus
07-14-2006, 07:20 PM
on EURO-REEF systems, Kalk has a way of corroding the magnet.....causing it swell. the friction makes the magnet well swell and the whole thing fuses together.

gwen_o_lyn
07-14-2006, 07:22 PM
I can't pull this out- see pic, since I have no idea what these parts are called!

http://www.euro-reef.com/Pump_Service_Photo_rama/images/image008.jpg

It must be melted together. I just ran everything in vinegar/water about 4 weeks ago for 2 days.

I was getting less skimmate and not enough bubbles.

The pump is supposed to have a lifetime guarantee, but I never sent the warranty paperwork in. :(

gwen_o_lyn
07-14-2006, 07:24 PM
on EURO-REEF systems, Kalk has a way of corroding the magnet.....causing it swell. the friction makes the magnet well swell and the whole thing fuses together.

well its the pump not ER. I had a dolphin pump and it will be replaced with a sedra which has a 2 yr warranty and from what I was told- it's better.

what u mentioned sounds exactly like what happened.

fat walrus
07-14-2006, 07:30 PM
yes the sedra is the best. there have been versions with dolphin, ocean-runner, eheim, and rio. the sedra on a CS6-1 should be a sedra 3500.

the picture you show is a sedra 5000.

gwen_o_lyn
07-16-2006, 03:33 AM
Yup, I ordered the 3500 ;)

fat walrus
07-16-2006, 03:34 AM
my mind is a data base!

gwen_o_lyn
07-16-2006, 03:39 AM
my mind is a data base!

I can see that, its unreal!!

And BB is our link base ;)

We got it all!

V
07-16-2006, 04:00 AM
y'd think so wouldn't u!
old blubber keeps up to date thats for sure, manufactor junkie

fat walrus
07-16-2006, 04:05 AM
y'd think so wouldn't u!
old blubber keeps up to date thats for sure, manufactor junkie
yes, more junk......hahaha, give me more.....i need MORE!