PDA

View Full Version : New, Injured and really upset

PiscesGirl
07-12-2006, 04:32 PM
:cry: :help:

I did a water test with my Saltwater Mater Test kit (the one with the 4 tubes to use for testing and the liquid droppers)

Nitrate: looks like cherry kool-ade 80-100 YIPES:eek:
pH: 7.8
Ammonia .25 Looks like lemonade
Nitrite .50(its purple)

So I said to myself UHOH!:o and did a first time ever water change in my new 55 gal. tank(the sump is directly below)
I read you can't just mix and dump so I mixed all my salt water and made sure it was dissoved...then I let it sit for a while as I proceeded to
1)turn off sump pump
2)take out sponge from overflow filter and rinse in saltwater (and take out the small krill that got trapped in there ewwwwwww
3)took out water by siphon into a 5 gal bucket which is too heavy for me to lift and dump
4)took previously dissolved salt water and dumped into the sump and the lid kept closing on me:mad:
5)turned pump back on...wasn't working (I'm trying to figure out what pump I need but I do need a new one...something is broken off of this one and it doesn't work quite right.
6)played around with pump and it got my finger sliced by something...but it worked! :yikes: and it hurt !!!!

So needless to say I only changed about 5 gal of water...WHEW that's a lot of work and I know I should probably change more.
Are my fish in real danger?? What do I do?

Rob
07-12-2006, 04:43 PM
yea, those levels are very high..
how long has the tank been setup, i don't recall

and just for summary, how much LR, and what type of sand bed you have?

PiscesGirl
07-12-2006, 05:00 PM
My tank has been set up for about a week.
LR ...about 30-35lbs
sand bed? I bought the sand from someone, it looks like special grade sand Aragonite.

I have about a 5 gal. bucket full of it in there...should I have gone with a more oolitic sand?
Should I do 5 gal every day?
I need to by RO water...would that help?

fishcounter
07-12-2006, 05:34 PM
Pisces:
First of all, I am new as well and I just wanted to say, hang in there. I really believe that there is some unsee force hovering over this hobby that attacks us once in a whle to discourage us. I have cut my fingers, lugged gallons of heavy water, and nearly electrocuted myself. At the end of the day, it is ALWAYS worth it. So, keep going.

I would definatly get some more live rock and RODI water always helps. What you put into your tank is what you get out of your tank.

Good luck.

fat walrus
07-12-2006, 06:08 PM
if you can find saltwater Bio-Spira, it can help bring down the ammonia and nitrite much faster.

wwest
07-12-2006, 06:12 PM
Pisces: are you using tap water to refill and top off?

pham411
07-12-2006, 06:45 PM
My tank has been set up for about a week.

new tanks usually go through a cycle before it is established. the cycle starts with amonia shooting through the roof. as that comes down, nitrites will rise, fallowed by nitrates. at this point your tank will develop benificial bacterias that will convert that nitrate to gas. at the end of this process you will find your parameters stabling off. this process takes about 3 to 6 weeks. this might be why your parameters are wack.

LR ...about 30-35lbs
sand bed? I bought the sand from someone, it looks like special grade sand Aragonite.

agragonite sand is fine. i use a mixture of that and crushed coral.

I need to by RO water...would that help?

yes it would. the water around your area could have detectable nitrates and phosphate levels. try testing your tap water. i would highly recomend RO.

PiscesGirl
07-12-2006, 07:03 PM
I guess it's been a little over a week about 10 days.

Yes I need RO for sure...I'll test my tap water, but Ro is best I'm sure.
Still looking into getting a unit, but they look complicated. :(

After I cut my finger and messed around with all the water I was really discouraged, but I do love the tank and mostly I"m worried about my fish I just want them to be healthy and have a good environment.

My tank was bought from someone who owned it for two years, I brought it home and set it up and then it only had rock
A few days later I bought some more rock and sand from someone else who was tearing down their tank.
So a lot of this has been established, but I think disturbing the sand bed was part of the nitrate problem.

Also, I have this yellow fish who really disturbs the sand with it's tail...is this okay?
I went from having a flat bed to ocean wave shaped bed. :)
Plus my snowflake is making all kinds of burrow under the rock....good thing it's on the glass and not sand or I might have an avalanche
Resa

gwen_o_lyn
07-12-2006, 07:13 PM
I think disturbing the sand bed was part of the nitrate problem.

Do you have a DSB=deep sand bed?

PiscesGirl
07-12-2006, 07:18 PM
Well it's a 55 gal tank,
and I got about 3/4 a 5 gal. bucket full of sand....probably 2-3" sand bed. Just added it a couple of days ago.

I also uploaded a picture of my yellow fish in my gallary.
Do you think it's a yellow damsel?

pham411
07-12-2006, 07:27 PM
yah i think you just gotta let the cycle take place.

PiscesGirl
07-12-2006, 09:08 PM
What do I do in the mean time?
Water changes? Nothing?

pham411
07-12-2006, 09:12 PM
water changes are always good. maybe 15-20% a week untill levels start looking good. this is something you gotta go through. it usually kills begginers not to just throw fish in during this procces.

PiscesGirl
07-12-2006, 09:19 PM
well....
when I bought the tank she had fish already:
2 clarkiie
1 tomato
1 yellow fish(?? it's in my gallary)
1 lionfish
1snowflake eel
1 choc.chip starfish
This is why I'm so upset I already have fish! I'd be content as could be if there were no fish in there....??
:cry:

gwen_o_lyn
07-12-2006, 09:20 PM
Cute paper shredder!

I'm not sure the yellow fish so I will post it here and maybe we can get an identity. People here are usually good at that!

http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/gallery/files/7/8/3/YellowFishPicture.JPG

pham411
07-12-2006, 09:41 PM
well....
when I bought the tank she had fish already:
2 clarkiie
1 tomato
1 yellow fish(?? it's in my gallary)
1 lionfish
1snowflake eel
1 choc.chip starfish
This is why I'm so upset I already have fish! I'd be content as could be if there were no fish in there....??
:cry:

well since you bought an existing system the spikes are probably from striring everything up. youll get back on track soon. patients is key

CarmieJo
07-12-2006, 10:55 PM
Resa,

Gee, it sounds like you have had a tough day. I hope that everything turns out OK.

How long is the yellow fish?

V
07-12-2006, 11:03 PM
rely on the support network in your area, does any member on this site live near you. if u require abit of guidance its best u reach out in the flesh cause with this many fish, although hardy species, can surcome quickly if the tank paremters starts to spiral out of control. just remember to most simplest key to this hobby. dilution is always the solution

wwest
07-12-2006, 11:06 PM
i would have to say that a yellow damsel..Amblyglyphidodon aureus to be exact :)

V
07-13-2006, 08:53 AM
they usually have blueish dots or a smudge on the sides. we have these on the great barrier reef, but damn west, if thats not it, or close, i dont know what is! great legwork!

PiscesGirl
07-13-2006, 03:36 PM
The fish is maybe 3.5 inches long.

I'm looking at protien skimmers:
Aqua C Remora PRo wiht mag 3 pump...is this good? I found one for 250.
I want one that can work in my sump.

I also found a Turboflotor Skimmer 1000 Multi...one used one new.

Resa

fat walrus
07-13-2006, 07:48 PM
i would take the Turbofloter.

the fish that gwen posted is not the same fish as the one veriann posted. when i am, gwen's is a yellow damsel, veriann's is a yellow chromis.

PiscesGirl
07-13-2006, 08:30 PM
That's what I have...a yellow damsel.

gwen_o_lyn
07-13-2006, 11:38 PM
i would take the Turbofloter.

the fish that gwen posted is not the same fish as the one veriann posted. when i am, gwen's is a yellow damsel, veriann's is a yellow chromis.

yup, that is her fish- I took the pic out of her gallery and posted it here :cool:

V
07-14-2006, 05:58 AM
*beeep* thanks for playing bob, tell the man what he's won!

sorry blubber my friend, but it is indeed a golden damsel aka golden sargent
but chromis are Members of the Pomacentridae family anyways, so it might as well be its brother, but if it isn't the same fish pic qwen posted, its got to be close _as i said, usually they have these blue spots, but alowing for age, location, display habits it could still happen

V
07-14-2006, 06:16 AM
hey, try this sucker! side on & still. dont let the suit fool you, its still the same fish!

V
07-15-2006, 12:52 AM
in typical S-Street fashion "can u tell me how to get, how to get to PG's tank!"
hows the levels kiddo?

PiscesGirl
07-16-2006, 07:33 PM
Hey here are my levels
Nitrate: 80
p.H 7.8
Ammonia .25
Nitrite: .25

The nitrite is really the only one that went down some and the ph.

wwest
07-16-2006, 07:39 PM
looks like they are dropping some. have you messured your calcium levels?

PiscesGirl
07-16-2006, 07:42 PM
I don't have anything to measure that with
By the way everything is doing really well. My lionfish and eel both ate 2 krill and I gave the others some small bloodworms.

They seem healthy despite the levels?? I just heard that the with the levels in my tank my fish could be building up toxins inside them, otherwise they look healthy.
Is this true?

V
07-16-2006, 11:40 PM
your levels are high, but i thought it would be higher actually, a few high quality water changes, maybe 2 a week at 30% each time should dilute the levels into safe zones. Ca, i didn;t think u had corals yet? wasn't this only fish that came with the tank setup?
if u dont have corals dont worry about any other test bar ammonia, nitrate, nitrite! thats all u need short term!
dilution my girl, dilution will solve your problems. keep feedings low, but use your own judgement with this, cause u dont want them eating each other!
try posting another reading in a week before the water change

PiscesGirl
07-17-2006, 02:20 PM
I don't have any corals, just some Xenia growing on a rock.

I actually put all my fish up for sale... :(
I would rather they have a good home than take the chance.

I have someone interested in the eel and the lion.

V
07-18-2006, 07:24 AM
hope this hasn;t discouraged your from keeping the tank running!
if u believe u need more time to get a handle on the situation then u might be making the right choice in offloading them to a good home!
as for the future, we can help u out if u decide to continue aloong the SW path!
with a bit of reading & a few posts your skills to deal with these situations will increase 100fold. i wish u luck in any dirrection u head!

PiscesGirl
07-18-2006, 08:05 AM
Not discouraged...just want the best for my fish. :)
They came with the purchase so I'm getting rid of stuff so I can add more stuff...weird hobby. :)
I wanted to set up my own and do it my way any way...so by selling things I can basically start over and get what I really want.

:)

V
07-18-2006, 08:53 AM
yeah, sounds good!

PiscesGirl
07-20-2006, 11:17 AM
1 cool lionfish
1 snowflake eel (sold)
2 clarkii's (sold)
1 tomato
1 yellow damsel
1 choc.chip

3 down...a few more to go...hopefully this will help some with the nitrate issue.

wildeone
07-20-2006, 12:52 PM
Sounds like you have a good plan. Keep everyone here posted and you will get awesome help and learn alot at the same time. Welcome to TR!

PiscesGirl
07-21-2006, 06:28 PM
Water levels
Ammonia either 0 or .25 (in the light it's .25, but against the white card it's 0)

Trates same thing against the card its about 30...in the light 40

Trites: 0 (Yipee)

Also:
I found some skimmers
Aqua C Remora with mj1200 110.00 (needs a rubber band around the collection cup?? Don't know how to fix that?)
Aqua C Remora pro with mag 3 130.00

gwen_o_lyn
07-21-2006, 10:14 PM
sounds like the rubberband thing would be easy to fix. It's used to adjust the collection cup and u can prolly rig something up- maybe they have heavy duty rubberbands somewhere. Possibly u can contact AquaC about getting a new one. They must have replacement parts.

But for only $20 more to get a pro with no problems- that sounds like the better option.

Good choice of skimmers!!

V
07-21-2006, 11:03 PM
PG the levels are looking a hell of a lot better! well done!
how big are your water changes and how often?

PiscesGirl
07-22-2006, 01:12 AM
Thanks veriann

I've been doing 10-15 gallons...I guess it's been coming out to 1x a week??

I'm glad it's getting better,still trying to sell my other fish, but no takers yet.

By the way I liked the Aqua C pro better but I found out it's pick up only and I'm not even close to where the seller lives. oh well there will always be a better deal.

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP! (and encouragement)

V
07-22-2006, 03:39 AM
u can always trade them for store credits if u really wanted to offload them

CarmieJo
07-22-2006, 11:26 AM
Resa,

The situation was different but, if I recall correctly, it was Wildeone who had some problems with reading his test kits. Turned out it was due to the type of light he was reading them in. When he read all of the directions they recommended that the tests be read under (maybe) cool white lights. Anyhow, when he changed to the correct light his readings were all OK.