PDA

View Full Version : hang on skimmer for 120

wwest
07-05-2006, 06:33 PM
ok i am looking to upgrade a friends skimmer. he now has a hang-on seaclone 150 and wants to replace it with a hang-on style as well just a "better" :) skimmer.. here is what i am looking at so far

Aqua C (http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_protein_skimmers_aquac_remora_pro.asp?Car tId=)

Red Sea (http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_protein_skimmers_red_sea_berlin_classic_x l_turbo.asp?CartId=)

any help would be helpful. thanks in advance..

Rob
07-05-2006, 07:45 PM
while i have never personally used it, the Aqua C has a GREAT rep for be a great valued skimmer.

wwest
07-05-2006, 08:03 PM
Cool Thanks again :)

fat walrus
07-05-2006, 09:19 PM
check out tht CPR twin 2R.

wwest
07-05-2006, 09:24 PM
on a skimmer if it says 150 gallons does that mean 150 or 100? or does that matter on the manufacture?

also i have heard alot of people say that the bak-pak skimmers are a waste of money and time?

fat walrus
07-05-2006, 09:32 PM
perfermance is about the same as ramora.......i myself think it is a little better than ramora. it uses the same pump is some models. none of the hang on the back protein skimmers really that good. most brands over-rate their products to be competetive, so do with more if you can. only the more expensive brands are more realistic with their ratings.

wwest
07-05-2006, 09:46 PM
yea he was the one i was trying to get a sump installed but he decided against it. worried about the over flow i guess. but he does want to replace his seaclone so i am trying to find something alot better than that for him.

fat walrus
07-05-2006, 09:48 PM
CORALIFE SUPER-SKIMMER is ok too. good bang for the buck.

wwest
07-05-2006, 09:52 PM
ok cool i will lay out all the options for him and him decide :)

Rob
07-06-2006, 12:11 PM
CORALIFE SUPER-SKIMMER is ok too. good bang for the buck.
see, now i have heard that it wasnt that great for the price.
i have never used one, so i cant really say.

would love your thoughts if you have used one before.

fat walrus
07-06-2006, 08:56 PM
see, now i have heard that it wasnt that great for the price.
i have never used one, so i cant really say.

would love your thoughts if you have used one before.
i bought several to use as interim skimmers when i moved. the plan was to use them on my new tanks until i can fully dismantle my better skimmers from my old tanks at the old house. i chose them because they can be used both HOB or in sump.....giving me multiple options. they are no euro-reefs, but i thought they performed quite well for the prices that i paid. the pumps that came with them are quiet and the air silencers made it virtually silent. it also came with a bubble-baffle box. from my personal experience, they were a LOT better than many other skimmers i've used, but nowhere near the best......i can say that i don't think i could have gotten a better performer for the same price. i have since given them to friends so that they can replace some outdated or broken skimmers. the feedback is that they are better than BERLIN, NAUTILUS, PRIZM PRO, PREDATOR, and maybe on par with TURBOFLOTER. i paid $99 for model 65, $159 for model 125, $199 for model 220...all complete from my lfs.

Rob
07-06-2006, 09:55 PM
awesome.. well thanks for the info...

wwest
07-06-2006, 09:55 PM
ok as you all know i have been finding info for the same friend. well today he gave me his credit card and said, Order everything for the sump. ssssoooooo i did lol we went and got the tank tonight and are going to get the glass cut tomorrow for the deviders. also i am going to take pictures of everything and log everything so if another newbie is overthinking ( like i was ) i can produce pictures and details :)

sorry if i wasted anyones time on the hang-on skimmer info....

V
07-07-2006, 11:43 AM
perfermance is about the same as ramora.......i myself think it is a little better than ramora. it uses the same pump is some models. none of the hang on the back protein skimmers really that good. most brands over-rate their products to be competetive, so do with more if you can. only the more expensive brands are more realistic with their ratings.

really when u look at it, the longer the contact time in the chamber the better,but its all about price im afraid, unless u are competant to build your own! so my guide to u is money permitting to not look at anything thats smaller that your tank height

CarmieJo
07-07-2006, 09:56 PM
ok as you all know i have been finding info for the same friend. well today he gave me his credit card and said, Order everything for the sump. ssssoooooo i did lol we went and got the tank tonight and are going to get the glass cut tomorrow for the deviders. also i am going to take pictures of everything and log everything so if another newbie is overthinking ( like i was ) i can produce pictures and details :)

sorry if i wasted anyones time on the hang-on skimmer info....

That will be a good DIY addition!