PDA

View Full Version : Attack of the killer Cyano!

fishcounter
07-05-2006, 03:35 PM
Alright everyone,
my tank is battling a pretty big cyano problem. I have had tried all the usual tactics like direct water flow, feeding every other day, etc. However, all it does is disappear in one place and grow out of control in another place. Any suggestions? I also have a good starter clean up crew working on it, but I need more. I have some happy hermit crabs in there right now plus a few other things.

If the natural methods don't begin working, I have been considering Chemiclean. Has anyone used this? How has it worked for you?

Rob
07-05-2006, 07:42 PM
never used it...
have you tried more frequent water changes, and testing your source water for PO4 or NO3? are you using any type of mechanical filtration?

fishcounter
07-05-2006, 08:50 PM
yep, I am using the exact same RODI you have ROB and I am using a euro reef skimmer. I did measure the TDS on my RODI and it came it at 13. Thats pretty high huh??

fat walrus
07-05-2006, 09:03 PM
i've used chemi-clean numerous times and never had problems. you have to make sure you use full dose so the cyano will not build resistance.

pham411
07-05-2006, 09:54 PM
chemi clean works, but strong water flow in effected areas work best for me.

Rob
07-06-2006, 12:12 PM
13 is high for RO/DI water, but overall its not that bad.
is this reading after the RO, or after the DI

fishcounter
07-06-2006, 05:36 PM
The reading is after DI

Rob
07-06-2006, 07:57 PM
and thats a pretty new unit..
do you have low water pressure?

fishcounter
07-07-2006, 12:49 AM
The unit is 2 months old. I don't know about the water pressure. It is having to travel a ways through tubing before it reaches my RO unit. Could that cause poor filtration? The water travels up a line about 4 feet then across vertically for 20 feet before it enters my unit.

fat walrus
07-07-2006, 01:05 AM
The unit is 2 months old. I don't know about the water pressure. It is having to travel a ways through tubing before it reaches my RO unit. Could that cause poor filtration? The water travels up a line about 4 feet then across vertically for 20 feet before it enters my unit.
that four feet up and 20 feet across is a lot of travel and resistance in those little hoses. you can get an pressure gauge for the RO unit. the membrane works best within a specified PSI rating and also water temperature will make a difference. i believe that KENT claims optimal temperature range in 70-77 degrees..

fishcounter
07-07-2006, 08:29 AM
I just bought a PSI gauge and tested. The water pressure is 50 psi both at the RODI unit 24 feet away and at the waterline where I have tapped in. That seems pretty low??? Where should it be? I have tapped into my waterline right after my water softener which is right next to the main water source.

fishcounter
07-07-2006, 08:56 AM
I used Chemi clean yester day. So far the cyano is retreating, but I ofcourse still have tons of diatoms and my glass is green...green.green! What can I do? Here is a pick of the glass. Its like this every morning. So, I will clean off the glass and when I get home from work its like this again. It looks like a teenage muntant ninja turtle died in there and is leeching out all of its toxins!
http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/gallery/files/2/6/5/greenglass.jpg

V
07-07-2006, 09:24 AM
ouch, im not a total fan of chemical means to rid the stuff. im still a borderline fence jumper on the issue that the bactera populations are affected everytime!
but sometime uve got to do what u've got to do to get the chain reaction under control. also sounds like u need a booster in the water line. what ratio membrain are u using?

Rob
07-07-2006, 03:05 PM
Eddy,
excuse my bad memory, but how long has the tank been setup?

fishcounter
07-07-2006, 06:15 PM
1.5 months. I know its new and its just going through its "natural blooms" but man this seems excessive. I had tons of cyano and of course my glass is that groovy green color. Am I over reacting to the blooms that are to be expected or is this the usual amount of algae and cyano floating around? The sand in the picture looks pretty good. I removed a bunch of cyano earlier in the day.

fishcounter
07-07-2006, 09:43 PM
Well lets reort back. The Cyano is gone for the time being. The chemiclean has been in the tank for 48 hours now. I just did a 20% water change. I still have my diatoms like mad, but thats alright. Ill just let them run their course. I will let everyone know if the green glass thing continues to happen. I am happy to report that everyone in the tank is doing well and seems to be very happy, and that makes me very happy.

CarmieJo
07-07-2006, 10:47 PM
Eddy, I'm glad to hear that you are getting it under control.

fat walrus
07-08-2006, 02:17 AM
ouch, im not a total fan of chemical means to rid the stuff. im still a borderline fence jumper on the issue that the bactera populations are affected everytime!
CHEMI-CLEAN is actually just an enzyme. the bacteria will not be affected, there are no antibiotics or caustic agents in the formula.

V
07-08-2006, 03:31 AM
CHEMI-CLEAN is actually just an enzyme. the bacteria will not be affected, there are no antibiotics or caustic agents in the formula.

well thats good to know!

JayBeDriften
07-10-2006, 03:43 PM
Fishcounter, If you have tried the normal tactics of combating the cyno I would definitely invest in a pressure booster to kick it up a notch it can only help.

Rob
07-10-2006, 04:36 PM
Fishcounter, If you have tried the normal tactics of combating the cyno I would definitely invest in a pressure booster to kick it up a notch it can only help.
Bernie is selling one in the "selling Forum"... just FYI

Bernie
07-10-2006, 05:51 PM
:cheers: Right on Rob...