PDA

View Full Version : Tang with Limphocytis

fishcounter
07-05-2006, 03:18 PM
He all,

My blue hippo tang has some white clumps developing at the base of her anal fin. I am almost positive that its lymphocytis. I have been watching it for 4 days now and its getting slightly bigger. Should I just let this one ride out while I try to make sure she is getting her proper diet, or should I net her and remove it with my fingers? Has any one done this?

Rob
07-05-2006, 07:40 PM
if its continuing to get bigger you might want to look at treating with with something like prima fix or mela fix, as if i remember correctly thats some type of fungus.

this "can" be dont in a tank as its reef safe, but alot of corals dont like it much. they will handle it, but will likely stay closed alot more during treatment

V
07-06-2006, 08:30 AM
Lymphocystis is a viral disorder which infects cells and causes them to become huge (megaloblastic)
This affects both freshwater & marine fish. ive seen it on a koi page with a treatment> but the artical states that its not avail to the US folk. whether this is true as of today i dont know.
i'll post it below

Acriflavine - by Doc Johnson

General Information

Acriflavine is efffective against external parasitic infections in freshwater and marine tropical ornamental fishes. As a fungicide, it is effective against Saproglenia ssp; as protozoacide, it is effective against Ambiphyra, Chilodonella, Cryptocaryon Irritans, Hexamita, Ichthyophthirius multifilis, Oodinium and Schyphidia species.

Directions for Use

Long Duration Bath (3 - 5 days) - One application of 200 milligrams of acriflavine per 10 gallons (5 ppm) of either aquarium water, static holding tank water, or shipping water. No water change is required. This will kill your plants and negatively impact your filtration system's beneficial nitrogen reducing bacteria.

Short Duration Bath (2 hours) - Using an independent, separate treatment container with appropriate aeration, prepare as 10 part per million (ppm) treatment bath. Note: 10 ppm is equivalent to 10 milligrams of acriflavine per liter of treatment water or 37.8 mg per gallon of treatmet water. After 2 hours of treatment, return fish to habitat water.

Warning: This product is intended for use solely on non-edible fish. Keep out of reach of children.

The above drug is not sold in US and for export only and for ornamental fish use only.

Then the short version.......
Treating in a well aerated hospital vat - Bathe the fish 3-5 hours in iso-thermic iso-pH water according to label instructions (Aquarium Products Lymphocystis Cure) and replace the fish in its main tank. Re-bathe again in five days when you will already be seeing a reduction in lesion mass. Regrowth has not been seen after complete clearance.

Key: Must be confirmed Lymphocystis (will not work on other granulomata or cancers.)

Where can I purchase neutral acriflavine (how do I get in touch with Aquarium Products) and for us dummies, what is: "iso-thermic iso-pH" water?"
Neutral acriflavine is available in the form of "Lymphocystis Cure" at your local pet shop which carries Aquarium Products' stuff.
Iso-thermic - equalized temperature.
Iso-pH - equalized pH.

a link to the desease
http://www.fishbase.org/Diseases/DiseasesSummary2.cfm?discode=61

if u need a picture to reference off i have 2 available relating to a yellow tang

fat walrus
07-06-2006, 10:16 PM
i've done the baths with Formalin III, and had good results.

wildeone
07-06-2006, 11:37 PM
Please keep us informed fishcounter, and sorry to hear of the affliction.

fishcounter
07-07-2006, 12:51 AM
As far as I am aware, its usually not fatal. As for treatment, I have read that many people net the fish and just pull it off. Has any one done this?

fat walrus
07-07-2006, 12:56 AM
yes. done it. but if you don't treat it, it will grow back. scape best you can and dip in Formalin III bath has worked for me.

V
07-07-2006, 02:10 AM
what ever happeded to Form2?

Count Fish. if u can, post a happy snap so we can see the damaged area

fishcounter
07-07-2006, 08:54 AM
This is a terrible pic. Im really sorry about the quality. If needed, i can try to get a better shot, its just hard to captured her in just the right position so that you can see the white growth. if you look at the base of her anal fin you will see a white clump.

http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/gallery/files/2/6/5/tangwithlymphocytis.jpg

V
07-07-2006, 09:49 AM
firstly Count Duiku, after seeing a few still photo shots, it looks like a few to many bubbles are appearing in the main for the prospective coral additions your going to add in the future! that said i see what your talking about on the regal! nice specimin by the way, she's a beauty! um, it looks to be pointing forward in dirrection! how sure are u about it being Lymphocystis. its not an overly common infection. but can manafest itself if left unchecked for to long. as far as im aware removing it is an option, but i would try harmless freshwater dips to see how it responds> but treatment of the tank & its other inhabitants are needed if it is Lymph! does it appear to be growing/spreading?
your biggest problem is going to be secondary infections.! try taking another pic after lights out, once the fish is in rest mode, turn the lights back on & take a few snaps whilst the fish is in hover mode!
at the end of the day, if we cant help u in the right dirrection contact the national vet association in your city & track down a marine vet with experince in these matters. cause we dont like losing fish anytime, but a fish that beautiful is worth a few extra dollars if your not sure! even email the pic to the vet for a second opinion first before thinking about a visit!

just keep the keep in mind that even after these cells are removed they will irrate the fish for awhile after, just like us with a wound thats healing & feels ichy!

fishcounter
07-07-2006, 10:08 AM
Veriann I agre on the micro bubbles. There are really bad in these pics though for two reasons. As stated, I added chemiclean with says on the box to maintain a high levl of oxygen in the water while treating. So, I opened one of the venturi valves on my powerheads just a little. Also, I think the chemiclean is breaking down the cyano which seems to be releasing some of the trapped oxygen in my sand that the cyano was holding down. Normally, the microbubbles are almost no existant.

Thanks for the comments on the tang. She is a lovely fish, and she has a killer personality.

Here is a question for veriann and Walrus and anyone else who wants to join in:) I can use all the help I can get. - How long should I dip?
Would it be more beneficial to do a fresh water dip or a formalin bath?

What is the difference between formalin and formalin 3? I have formalin right now.

IF I do a freshwater dip, how long?

If its a formalin bath, how long?

Rob
07-07-2006, 11:03 AM
have never done formalin bath,
but when i do freshwater dips i try to keep them under 5 minutes, usually 2-3. i have read people suggest as many as 15 minutes, but i dont trust it, and have had problems going over 5

make sure the water is a the right temp and PH before you dip though.

V
07-07-2006, 11:19 AM
have never done formalin bath,
but when i do freshwater dips i try to keep them under 5 minutes, usually 2-3. i have read people suggest as many as 15 minutes, but i dont trust it, and have had problems going over 5

make sure the water is a the right temp and PH before you dip though.

\i havn't done anything that needed formalin, blubber has had the experience, he will chime in when abit later!
i'll add a tiny bit on robs comment though>hard to do cause robs got it down pat!
i do an absolute max of 2 min. the osmotic pressure the fish goes through would be like us breathing under water, we did it once, but not as successful now we are bigger!. it is important to have things like the same temp, same ph, every value your tank is, try to recreate it in the treating tank/bowl, just with RO water!. this can be performed a few times a week, but use your own judgement in this case & treat in accordance to what the fish is displaying..........same rule applies actually doing the dip, if your fish looks like its stressing dont delay in taking it out! a few second dip is prob only required for a parasite infection so just keep that in mind when treating an external virus! as i mentioned in a previous post, the cells are going megaloblastic, so thinking along the lines of an external cancer can give u a clear chain of thought with any dirrection u tackle this!

V
07-07-2006, 11:21 AM
of course it could just be a calus buildup from rubbing on that one spot to often:no: i dont know without a better picture example

fishcounter
07-07-2006, 09:47 PM
Time to return and report. I haven't done the dip yet. I am planning on doing the freshwater dip tonight. I will shoot for 2-3 minutes unless she shows signs of stress. When I did her initial freshwater dip, she did great upto about two minutes and then I took her out. This was on the day I introduced her to my tank for the first time. I will let you know how it goes.

V
07-08-2006, 12:02 AM
sounds good!

fat walrus
07-08-2006, 12:40 AM
formalin dip:
formalin III from Kordon. one tablespoon per gallon of saltwater.....aerate water, allow fish to stand in solution up to 50 minutes.

you can also use formalin in the freshwater dip. same time allowance for standard freshwater dip, but formalin may be doubled.

remember Formalin is only 3% solution, so check your brand's concentration.

Rob
07-08-2006, 06:26 PM
great details blubber, thanks for following up with that.

V
07-08-2006, 07:57 PM
u didn't answer my empty question, what happened to form2? lol

Rob
07-08-2006, 10:50 PM
u didn't answer my empty question, what happened to form2? lol
Hmmm... i ate it...

fat walrus
07-08-2006, 10:53 PM
Hmmm... i ate it...
ahh, so you are a herbivore with a taste for gelatin binder! lol :eek:

gwen_o_lyn