PDA

View Full Version : On the top?On the bottom?Suspended?

dassystem1
07-03-2006, 07:41 PM
Hi guys: Will throw this question out there. Now is the best time for me to find this out as I am embarking on setup of a 180. Live rock, should you place it on top of the DSB? or place on the bare bottom and fill around it with sand? Or should one do the idea of using PVC pipe drilled with holes standing on end and placeing rock on top so water flows under the rock? Dead spots seem to be a concern in the places below the rock. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks Dass:|

fat walrus
07-03-2006, 08:50 PM
it has been done all three ways, but the one with the pvc is considered to be the most stable platform for your rocks.

Rob
07-04-2006, 02:09 PM
i agree...
i personally have not set it up like that, but for stability reasons, i may try this on my next system
right now, mine site on my LS, but over time, many of the base pieces get worked under the sand

CarmieJo
07-05-2006, 10:20 PM
Ditto Rob's experience.

wwest
07-05-2006, 10:23 PM
if you suspended your rock do you think you would have less of a problem with bristle worms? or would you have less of a problem because you could them see them and tweeze them out?

fat walrus
07-05-2006, 10:46 PM
if you suspended your rock do you think you would have less of a problem with bristle worms? or would you have less of a problem because you could them see them and tweeze them out?
the rocks are suspended on the pipes, but sand is still used to cover the pipes......so it changes nothing in regards to bristleworms. bristleworms are mostly harmless and beneficial anyway.

wwest
07-05-2006, 10:50 PM
oh ok i thought he was talking about getting off of the sand for water flow. sorry misunderstood.

fat walrus
07-05-2006, 10:57 PM
oh ok i thought he was talking about getting off of the sand for water flow. sorry misunderstood.
no, you did not misunderstand........there are just so many ways that have been done. there are some versions that involve rocks being suspended above sand level. there are also versions with rocks suspend with pipes over a bare bottom.

V
07-06-2006, 03:02 AM
its a healthy juggle of what looks natral & whats functionable! sometimes they are like forest gumps peas & carrats, but its up to your own judgment as to what ratio to use!

Rob
07-06-2006, 12:29 PM
bristle worms ae great...
who has problems with them??
lol.. ;)

Amphibious
07-06-2006, 07:25 PM
Hi guys: Will throw this question out there. Now is the best time for me to find this out as I am embarking on setup of a 180. Live rock, should you place it on top of the DSB? or place on the bare bottom and fill around it with sand? Or should one do the idea of using PVC pipe drilled with holes standing on end and placing rock on top so water flows under the rock? Dead spots seem to be a concern in the places below the rock. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks Dass:|First things first.
http://www.theculturedreef.com/welcome.gif to Talking Reef Forum and Podcast, dassystem1.

The easiest way to answer your question, using my system of PVC pipe stands is to direct you to my thread on my 135 gal. Here's the link - http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/showthread.php?t=412 - It's grown to about 5 pages but you should start at the beginning to get the full drift of the method. Feel free to ask any questions on my thread or here on yours.

Dick

dassystem1
07-06-2006, 07:30 PM
Hi guys : Still undecided but I think I will go the PVC route and place the rock on top of it. Last night I looked at the plenum system, eggcrate provides open water space on bottom of tank, then place a piece of fibreglass screening and then go with your sand. I thought that this style was dismissed a long time ago? I guess not. Is it really up to me to decide? I guess there is no fool proof design in any of the methods. Sure wish I was just a little more assured. Thanks anyway. Dass

dassystem1
07-06-2006, 07:33 PM
Thanks Dick: Just caught your message as I write this. Thanks will be sure to check out your site. Thanks for letting me know I can get in touch with you. Dass