PDA

View Full Version : Green Goniopora Coral With Mucos Film Over It.

ZeroKoolNYC
07-03-2006, 11:18 AM
Hello everyone. I left for a few days and came home to see my Green Goniopora Coral covered in a mucos which I blew of with a feeding stick quite easily but next morning it came back. Any clues as to what it might be?

fat walrus
07-03-2006, 08:58 PM
white or brown mucus?

wwest
07-03-2006, 09:31 PM
I have heard of corals shedding when they are stressed? but i would think that would be white and highly noticable.

dreams
07-03-2006, 09:48 PM
did his membrane get hurt somehow?

mine has never done that

ZeroKoolNYC
07-04-2006, 05:57 AM
The mucos is white and completely encompasses the coral. I don't believe that their is any way that it would have gotten hurt since the coral is far from anything within it path and has been fully extended for weeks now. I also give daily target feeding of Cyclopeeze. I really don't know what else is wrong. My other goniopora are acting fine as normal.

V
07-04-2006, 08:29 AM
fish_ what fish do u have in the tank? if u have a clown fish they can transmit through contact damaging mucus from an anem. borneman has done a study on this at one time i believe!
also where is the specimen place in the tank. common placement is towards the bottom if im not mistaken!

the problem also can be uptake of the coral needs, sometimes they are tempermental, even with correct lighting & proper feeding the nitrogen & carbon needs are for what ever reason....> not met individualy though by the specimin & they release what ever photosynthetically fixed carbon they have left within their tissue as mucus

or it could just be a factor of growth or over stimulated water flow!

i dont know if i helped any..lol sorry

dreams
07-04-2006, 11:47 AM
over stimulated water flow

that has been my experience....they don't like real high flow and will stay closed up

Rob
07-04-2006, 03:50 PM
im not sure, but i have asked John Kelly to have a look at this thread.
see if you can get some images and post them too

V
07-04-2006, 05:36 PM
good on ya rob! wip out the big guns for us!

Rob
07-04-2006, 06:44 PM
hey, thats what were here for.. get the best help we can.. :)

V
07-04-2006, 10:31 PM
hey, thats what were here for.. get the best help we can.. :)

Indeed rob. thats the ticket!

V
07-06-2006, 09:46 AM
i smell the smoke from the big gun! thanks for stoping in john! much appreciated

John Kelly
07-06-2006, 10:05 AM
Hi Everyone,

ZeroKoolNYC, is the mucous layer still coming back? The only thing I can think of that would cause a mucous layer to form over the entire coral while you were away is a bacterial bloom; or something else being released into the water that would irritate the goni. Food can sometimes cause a mucous layer, but usually not with cyclopeeze.

Either way, a couple of water changes (using RO water) should help. Running some fresh carbon should help too.

John

John Kelly
07-06-2006, 10:18 AM
LOL Veriann, a true prophet!

Your Welcome. :)

Just an extra note.....
If the mucous becomes localized in a small area on the coral body, then check to make sure food, sand, or detritus isn't settling there. If the tissue covering the body of the coral is inflating properly, then the settling of "junk" on the tissue shouldn't be an issue. The coral will move it off.

The symptoms resemble more of a reaction to an irritation in the water as opposed to an infection though.

Rob
07-06-2006, 10:29 AM
John, thanks for taking a look at this, we all appreciate your help and advise..

thanks

CarmieJo
07-07-2006, 09:07 PM
John Kelly,

:welcome: to TR.

fat walrus
07-11-2006, 02:20 AM
Zero, any updates?

V
07-11-2006, 09:15 AM
i must admit i like when the guests on the casts come into the forum for a wisdom stir of the pot! it kinda feels like a treat! at the end of the day these guys are no different than u or me! but they love the field so much they go far & beyond the practises of their day job to bring us as a whole this information!
u think people like john listen to the podcast feeds, have people responded with feed back on the outside track rob?

Rob
07-11-2006, 11:13 AM
not a whole lot..
most of the feedback comes through the forums now a days.. so your guys see it..
there are a few people/experts im working with to get some new stuff rolling, but so far its been limited.

but thats a bit off topic, and probably better for another thread, (when were ready to announce things)

christensonjes
07-11-2006, 11:04 PM
What about brown jelly disease?